Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

I'm in bits myself after a tough long run at the weekend but I don't have a quality time like that in my back pocket to ease the pain. Some going in those conditions. You're in great shape for London. You must be eager to get going now?
    Just seen that long run you done, some nice hills there :eek:, you'll have no endurance probs on the day after getting around that. I'd say we're all itching to get going at this stage, although the doubts and then dread will probably start to sneak into the head soon enough.

Wed: am 6.2 miles recovery

A nice handy one. Felt better than I expected, a good nights sleep cured the sore legs. Another 4 handy ones to come later on.

Thurs: 9 miles incl 5 x 600m

The sessions ticking down now, only one left before London. Strong wind again today, nearly goes without saying at this stage. Out the door for a couple of miles warm up, feeling a little heavy legged. A few more laps of the track and the jacket off and serious face on. Held back a little on the first rep but after that was going pretty well. The wind hitting me in the face twice on each rep didn't help me set any records but it did effect me badly either so feeling strong. Few more laps and the back home with another box ticked.

Splits: 1:59, 1:57, 1:57, 1:58, 1:57

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Missed your log recently. You have come a long way since this:
    PBs
    5Km 21.29
    10Km 43.56
    Half 1.31.40
    Marathon 3.18.41

Good luck in London.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Missed your log recently. You have come a long way since this:

Good luck in London.

Thanks dna_leri, the difference a couple of years and a few thousand miles make, killed myself for them times, now they would be easy training runs, never thought I'd say that

Fri: 12.23 miles easy @ 6:39 m/m

The first signs of a taper, gone from a 15 miler to 12 in the mid-week run. Picked a fairly up and down route with a couple of testers of hills, especially in the first half of the run. The first couple of miles I could feel yesterdays session in the legs and I had to grind out a mile or two to get going. After the first couple of hills I was flying and had to hold myself back a little. The wind was catching me for most of the second half of the run which made things a little tougher, still felt good but I tired in the last mile.

Sat: 6.2 miles recovery

Usual sat morning trot, very enjoyable in tne sunshine and felt pretty fresh to.

Sun: 17.01 miles long (steady) @ 6:36 m/m

I dont know what the story was with today, was flying. Straight from the off I felt light as a feather. Hopefully will feel like this in 2 weeks time. Straight from the off I felt good, very unusal, although for the first couple of miles playing dodge the dog leads stopped me in my tracks a couple of times, thats what I get for watching the Paris marathon and leaving my run a little later. Once I got out of Newbridge and onto the open road nothing was holding me back. Started to contemplated doing a few MP miles but decided against it and just held a steady pace all the way around, well apart from a final MP mile and then picked up for the last 400m or so up to about 5K pace, which is starting to become a little bit of a habit at the end of a long run, I think its a good habit anyway.

80 miles For the week, the real cut down starts from now

• Advertisement

Mon: 6.22 miles recovery

Started off feeling a little tired but took it handy and soon loosened out, nice handy trot.

Tue: 8.22 miles easy @ 6:52 incl strides x 8

Still a little bit of stiffness in the legs from Sunday but otherwise feeling good and strong. Strides at the end really woke the legs up, feeling good at the moment.

Wed: 8.89 miles incl 3 x 1 mile

So the last toughish day of this cycle. I was kinda looking forward to doing these until I got a brutal dose of indigestion during the day, which I never get, so at first was going to skip the session till tomorrow, then I decided to do the warm up to the track and see how I felt. After a mile of so I was back to normal and ready to rock. A few more laps and then off I went, trying to run at an even pace, not the usual fast start and then hang on for dear life. Checked the splits at every 200m and I was pacing well and not over stressing myself,finishing up near enough target for the 3. 400m jog recovery for each, I felt like doing a few more, kinda looking forward to getting into 10K training after the marathon. Looking back to this session pre Dublin last year I'm 15 seconds faster per repeat this time around, me likes that improvement.

Pre dublin splits (18/10/12) - 5:41, 5:40, 5:41
    Splits today (10-04/13) - 5:25, 5:26, 5:25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Just came across your log, read it from start to finish today.

Wow.

Some improvement.will be pulling some nuggets from it later and taking notes!

Just came across your log, read it from start to finish today.

Wow.

Some improvement.will be pulling some nuggets from it later and taking notes!
    Nearly afraid to read back over it, some embarrasing posts I'd say, still I might sit down and read back over it some evening and laugh at myself. I'd say most of the improvement has come from just getting out the door most days and getting the miles in with the intervals,tempos and stuff giving an extra little push.

Thurs: 6.2 miles recovery
    Fri: 5.13 miles recovery
    Sat: 7.3 miles easy incl strides x 10 @ 6:50 m/m
    Sun: 13.3 miles easy @ 6:50 m/m

Nothing much to see here. Thursday and Friday just the bog standard recovery runs, feeling fresh enough. Saturday and Sunday the pace picked up, along with the usual taper doubts. Felt a little heavy legged on both of these runs, getting the ' I should be feeling better than this' feeling now. Ah should come around over the week, the madness has taken hold...:eek:

Mon: 6.1 miles recovery
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: 6.2 miles @ 6:45 incl 2 @ MP
    Thurs: 5.6 miles recovery
    Fri: 3.96 miles recovery

The real wind down this week. To be honest have being feeling brutal all week, even the couple of marathon paced miles were a struggle. Hopefully its just the body in a bit of shock from cutting down the miles and will come right by Sunday. Passed the 1000 mile mark in a bit of a wimper today, half way through a very easy recovery run. So thats it, can do no more this time around, roll on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭jfh

best of luck, this was one of the first logs i followed and the progression is inspiring to see. You've the hard work done so hopefully things come together to give you a time you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck at the weekend Ronnie. I haven't been feeling unbeatable this week either but I'm sure it's just the taper madness. Your training has been excellent and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do on the day. I'll probably see you at the start or if not, then in the pub afterwards for a celebratory drink or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Very best of luck ronnie, enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Have a great race!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck, you're flying at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good luck Ronnie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck Ronnie, I hope you nail your time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck tomorrow, all the keeping the head down and getting on with the work will definitely pay dividends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Best of luck. Some great training there. Enjoy the race

LONDON MARATHON 2013

BUILD UP:

When I started taking running a little bit more seriously there were two marathons that really appealed to me, Boston and London, back then thinking I’d never get the qualifying times. So when I hit the GFA time in the Kildare marathon the search for friends and relations over the water began and was lucky enough to get everything sorted. So with this a goal race plus a little bit extra added on there was no time for messing around. After some recovery time from Dublin had a good block of training till Christmas, little down time, then a few more good weeks until I surprised myself with a good run in Dungarvin. Things on track, the next Day started the 12 week P&D plan.
    This went pretty well, missed 4 days in the middle but otherwise it was pretty much mile for mile. A little worry was I was finding the MP miles tough, even baling on one session two miles from the end, but that was the week I was sick so but it to the back of my mind, although it started to niggle at me coming up to the race. The taper was tough, especially the last week I felt like my legs were like lead, normal madness.
    Flew over on the Friday evening, arriving at the hotel at 11, bed, then up early for the expo. A little look around there and back to the hotel. Between eating, DVD watching, eating, napping, eating and then sleeping there wasn’t much time for anything else. Dinner about 8, never wanting to see another bowl of pasta again, then back bit more TV and a good night’s sleep, no real nerves yet. Up and had a decent brekkie and left the hotel about 8, the butterflies staring. Made the GFA pen around half or so, sat down sipping water trying to relax. Then bumped into meno who brought me over to krusty, pronator and wideball, all looking cool, calm and ready to rock. Krusty mentioned I looked nervous and he was right. So to the start line in the first pen.

0-5k – 19:02

The first mile was a little slow as I got penned in with nowhere to go, no problem, just easing into the race anyway and getting the legs used to the pace, picked up after that and didn’t realise at the time that I was traveling at 6 m/m pace, with the course mainly downhill it was a little bit too easy to get carried away. Went through the 5k mark feeling ok, not brilliant but always start a little iffy anyway.

5-10k – 19:02

Settling into the race at this point, the 4th mile @ 6:00, too fast again, but the next two around 6:08 or so, which was nearer the plan I had. At this stage I was just trying to relax, get into a grove and maybe even enjoy it a little. If I remember right it was around this section the mankini man and had to give a little push on to get past him, didn’t fancy looking at that for too long.

10-15k – 19:13

At last I found some sort of rhythm, miles still ticking off between 6:05-6:10, bang on plan and for the first time in the race I actually felt I could sustain the pace. Running around the cutty sark was one of the best experiences of the day, the noise of the crowds was unbelievable. I actually had to tell myself to slow down as I was getting a little carried away with it at one stage. Also found a little group at the same pace for the first time which helped just to pace off somebody else for a little while.

15-20k – 19:05

Really into the race at this stage. The miles ticking by quickly, still not flying but feeling ok. I hit the 10 mile mark in around 61 mins. Just assessed how I was feeling around now as I took this point as the first kind of milestone, so going ok, not under real pressure but not as fresh as I would like either, but I’ll take that. Still pretty even paced, so overall happy enough.

20-25k – 19:00

The next big moments of the race, first Tower Bridge. Running on my own at this point and the crown just screaming go on Newbridge at you, couldn’t help but get a burst of adrenaline, again telling myself not to get too excited. Then reached half way in 1:20:29, a Pb if I was counting. Seemed to get a little ahead of myself and picked the pace up with the next two miles @ 6:02.

25-30k – 19:21

Warning signs, went through a little bad patch for a couple of miles here, lost the Garmin signal around here so I don’t know exactly how where the slowdown started. The quads started to burn and breathing heavier. Just told myself it was a little bad patch, had a couple already and came through feeling good. This section seemed to go on forever and mentally started struggling. When I seen the 30k marker I just said 10k plus some change, just keep pushing.

30-35k – 19:40

Running in the 6:20s at this stage and hurting like hell, quads tight and hip flexors even worse. At this stage I was trying to do the maths on what I had to hold for a 2:45, not easy when all you want to do is lie down on the road for a couple of hours. Still kept the legs going forward.

35-40k – 20:13

I actually managed to pick up the pace slightly in the first mile of this section, the last attempt of a desperate man maybe, 6:17 mile and then bang, legs gone, 6:40 just telling myself keep going, picturing runs at home and how close to home I would be, imagining myself crossing the line, every little mental trick I had.

40k-Finish – 8:56

Picked up the pace ever so slightly mile 25-26 to 6:31, knew I was home at this stage. I don’t know what sort of feelings I was getting at this stage. Running down the mall with the crowds screaming at you, something you dream of but also you’re in that much pain you just want it to end, which then makes that final few hundred meters even more special after working so hard to get there. Crossed the line with a little yelp of delight
    2:43:32

Aftermath

Stumbled along for a while and collected my baggage and spotted three lads looking pretty pleased with themselves and cracking runs, pronator, krusty and kielyunusual soon to be joined by wideball with another super time. After a few war stories it was a stumble down to the coal hole, where I’ll reference menos beer report as we took very similar paths on that battle. Great to meet everybody afterwards, you’re not a bad lot :P

What’s next?

That is the question, have being thinking and few things on my mind. Just follow last year’s lead and 5k, 10k over the summer and build towards Dublin. Maybe forget about Dublin and build towards London again, Boston is on my mind. The things I know I am going to do is tweak the marathon training, P&D brought me this far but time to step it up a little more, again I have yet to decide which way to go. So I have some thinking to do over the next couple of weeks. Got a couple of easy runs in so far this week, no ill effects, just tipping along at the moment till I decide which way to go.

• Advertisement

Not much really to report. The last two weeks consisted of a few days down the country dancing to diddly iddly music, although got a fair bit of walking in, includining one 13 miler if that counts for anything. Couple of short runs and then a four day lads trip to Liverpool, taking in premier league darts, a rugby league game and liverpool v everton, with the spare time taken up in numerous pubs, super time but needless to say no running. So before this turns into a drinking log I better start running again.

Tues 7th: Detox
    Wed 8th: 6.2 miles easy @ 7:14 m/m
    Thurs 9th: 5.6 miles easy @ 7:17 m/m
    Fri 10th: 6.2 miles easy @ 7:20 m/m
    Sat 11th: 6.4 miles easy @ 7:07 m/m

So nothing to exciting there, just easing back into it. Feeling ok the effort level is a little higher than it would normally be for them paces but thats to be expected. Picked up a touch of the dreaded man flu as well which is not helping, not at the stop everything and stay in bed stage yet though. I have also started to get back into doing some flexability work and I'm after finding out that the muscles on my left leg are extremly tight and from next week will do 2/3 core sessions a week, both of which I have ignored way to long.

Sun: 11.37 miles easy @ 6:50 m/m

Agreed to meet up with one of the club mates early doors this morning, lucky enough, it gave the extra push to get out the door in the rain. Drove up to the meeting point in the curragh and before we thought about it we were off. The first couple of miles done on the grass in driving rain, the boggy ground not good for the new runners he bought, him moaning about it kept us going for a few miles ;). Hit the roads and the pace started edging up with each mile. I still not feeling 100% especially on the uphill sections but better than I was. We were trying to time it so we hit the half way point of the Kildare marathon around the time of the leaders. Made it with about 5 mins to spare, watched the first 3 go threw with Gary O'hanlon and Peter Mooney looking comfortable in the lead. A mile back to the car to finish off the run. Decided to drive around the course to catch them again, I did around the 16 mile mark, same formation and still looking good. Not too long after the 3 hour boys past with Krusty and Pronator looking like they out for a Sunday morning stroll with a nice little group of 7/8 or so with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the shout-out. If I'd known you had your car with you, I'd have taken a lift to the finish. :)

Mon: Man flu
    Tue: Man flu
    Wed: 7.3 miles easy @ 7:01 m/m
    Thurs: 6.2 miles easy @ 6:54 m/m
    Fri: 5.2 miles @ 6:56 m/m
    Sat: 7.5 miles steady @ 6:37 m/m
    Sun: 11.8 miles easy @ 6:43 m/m

A very frustrating week. I had planned on being fully back into decent training by now but still very stop start. Felt like ****e for the last few weeks and then with my resting pulse rising to nearly 25 bpm higher than normal for a while it was time to pay the doc a visit. He reckoned I was 'just' suffering from the tail end of a virus, rest up and ease back into running when I'm feeling better and resting pulse starts coming down. So 2 days off, pulse down to 60 on wed, just 15 beats high :eek:, sure I can get an easy run in. Legs felt ok but still coughing and spluttering. Thursday and Friday saw improvements, but still nowhere near 100%. At this stage I was thinking I'd never run comfortably again, then out on Saturday and for a change I actually felt strong, first time since before London really. Little signs of coming back. This morning I went out with a plan of doing 10 miles and from the start I was moving well. Just held a steady pace and just about home I decided to add on a little with an extra 2 mile loop. I have regretted it after a mile as I started to struggle a little. Still took it on home delighted to get a decent run in. Now hopefully I can push on a little next week.
    I have kind of decided on the plan for the rest of the year, the next 6 weeks will be spent trying to build back up to a decent level, few sneaky races, not expecting much but still, then going to hit the danials plan a for 18 weeks leading towards Dublin. To break the long program up I'm going to break it into sections with mini goal races at different points as I normally struggle mentally in the middle of programs so hopefully that helps. Looking forward to a different approach and seeing how it works out

It's not easy getting back in to it alright. I was down to two or three runs for a few week but starting to get back in to it now. Have you any races planned for over the summer?

It's not easy getting back in to it alright. I was down to two or three runs for a few week but starting to get back in to it now. Have you any races planned for over the summer?

So far just dunshauglin 10k in June, going to get a few races in before that to try sharpen up, thats whenever I'm running half comfortably again. I think I'm nearly worse off by taking a break, although I was feeling very flat after the high of London. Whats your plans, going to stick with the shorter stuff for the rest of the year or going to burn up another marathon at some stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Just reading back on your log now,some great reading and great improvements.Well done on london btw.
    Have you done Dunshaughlin before?
    Id say if you can drop thet 10k pb under 34 you will make another jump in the marathon.Dublin next marathon?

ronnie085 wrote: »
    So far just dunshauglin 10k in June, going to get a few races in before that to try sharpen up, thats whenever I'm running half comfortably again. I think I'm nearly worse off by taking a break, although I was feeling very flat after the high of London. Whats your plans, going to stick with the shorter stuff for the rest of the year or going to burn up another marathon at some stage?

It'll be the shorter stuff for a while now I think. Might pace Dublin if needed but that's it for this year. I jumped straight in to the marathon right from the beginning so a change of scene for a while might be an idea. I might look at the Dunshaughlin 10k too. My 10k PB is ridiculously outdated so I've got to race one sometime over the summer

Just reading back on your log now,some great reading and great improvements.Well done on london btw.
    Have you done Dunshaughlin before?
    Id say if you can drop thet 10k pb under 34 you will make another jump in the marathon.Dublin next marathon?
    Thanks thirstywork. Done Dunshaughlin 3 years ago. enjoyed it, also pb'd there, em around 44 mins if I remember right, will be hoping to take 10 mins off that if I get the work done over the next 6 weeks, as you say a good run would set me up nicely for the next marathon cycle. You'll probably give it a lash yourself?

• Advertisement

Mon: am 4.23 miles easy @ 7:01 m/m
    pm: 5.14 miles easy @ 6:38 m/m

Watch out, the hunger for miles is starting to build, motivation is getting higher, healthwise feeling nearly 100%, legs feeling stronger, double day done ......Think I'm back ;)

Now off for some stretching and rolling

Advertisement