Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Thanks thirstywork. Done Dunshaughlin 3 years ago. enjoyed it, also pb'd there, em around 44 mins if I remember right, will be hoping to take 10 mins off that if I get the work done over the next 6 weeks, as you say a good run would set me up nicely for the next marathon cycle. You'll probably give it a lash yourself?

Still have nightmares about that race from two years ago.My splits where 0:16:27, 0:17:22 and last 3k was hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Tue: 9.0 miles easy @ 6:53 m/m

Payback for all them cold, snowy, freezing rain, gale force winds and everything else the winter threw at us, today was perfect. Home from work and straight out the door. The first couple of miles were as little tough, the couple of fastish runs over the last few days in the legs but I was soon moving well when the legs woke up. Took in a couple of hills which I'm still finding a little tough even though I'm not really pushing to hard on them, more of a breathing thing than legs, still a little caught up in the chest so the bug not completly cleared. Track tomorrow for first session in a while, few 400s to see I how I go.

Wed: am 3.86 miles recovery

Nice to get a nice handy recovery run in before work, made getting up at 5:30 worth it, super way to start the day

pm: 9.38 miles incl 10 x 400 60 sec rec

First fast session in over a month so i was very unsure ghow the legs would react. 2 mile run around to the track and then a few laps while everybody gathered, some half arsed stretching and then down to it. We had a nice group out with 3 and sometimes 4 of us pacing each other around. The first few reps felt fairly comfortable, even adding about 20m onto the second one after getting caught jogging the wrong way :o, the pace started picking up although I hit a little slump on the 7th and 8th when I was struggling a little with the breathing. Got a second wind and finished up strong. So they went better than expected for the first session back, time to push on now. More laps cool down and a handy jog home. Happy with that.

Splits: (77, 81*,77,77,75,76,78,77,75,73) * long

Thurs: am - 3.85 miles recovery

Another nice early morning trot. Hamstrings a little tight after yesterdays session, otherwise no ill effects.

pm - 8.00 miles @ 6:37 m/m

Then to the evening club run. The wind after picking up which always makes running on the curragh fun. A good group showed up, although after the first mile at chatting away with another lad we looked around and nobody else stayed with us. 7 m/m into the wind without realising might explain that. So then there was 2 and the tone was set for the rest of the run with the pace picking up to 6:30s then 6:20s, way faster than I really wanted, esp with a tempo planned tomorrow but I felt good and just went with it.

Stretching + Foam rolling done when I got home.

Fri: 10.02 miles incl 4 @ tempo

Payback time. I was nearly going to postpone this until tomorrow after a couple of toughish days then the stubborness kicked in. So went out on a 2 mile warmup, a little stiffness still in the legs but nothing to major and the usual strong 'tempo' wind blowing. Just before I started the tempo got chased by a dog "who wont touch you", he tried his best having a nip at me, lucky enough only getting my shorts. Dislike for dogs starting to grow, well more of a dislike for owners who dont give a feck. Anyway, after a few choice words got the blood flowing, set up to take frustration out on the road. The first mile into the wind and felt ok but pushed way to hard. Was aiming around 5:50 pace average, ended up 5:45 with the wind in my face, going to pay for that. The second mile was easier with a cross then tailwind, so recovered a little, 5:44, then a turn back into the wind and started struggling. Again the stubborn streak kicked in and it was 5:50 or nothing, stupid but went for it. Made it in 5:51 but at this stage the legs were screaming, not good for a tempo. Took a 1 min jog recovery and then finished off the last mile, with the help of the wind done it in 5:44, still pretty tired at the end. So that ended up a little messy but suppose got it done. A 4 mile easy jog to finish off the day. A nice handy recovery day tomorrow, think I need it.

Sat: 6.13 miles recovery

Nothing much to tell, out of bed, jogged around in the sun, feeling pretty ok and then core for the rest of the day ( gardening)

Sun: 14.01 miles @ 6:29 m/m incl 4 @ MP (sort of)

Great plans of getting out nice and early until some lazyness kicked in followed by the manchester (spit spit) run on the box, so didn't get going until after 11. Wore the saucony fastwitch as I am going to go lighter in the next marathon and I've had no problem with these as yet, just have to build up to the longer miles in them to see how they go. Off I went with the plan of running easy for 9 miles, then 4 @ MP with a mile cooldown. The first 9 miles done a little to fast, in around 6:40 pace or so but I was feeling pretty strong and actually wasn't working to hard. So the next step was MP miles, starting just over the top of the steep hill in the curragh camp, not ideal but a good mental test. I was going to be pretty agressive and call 6 m/m MP so just went fo it. The first 2 miles were pretty comfortable, actually sneaking into tempo pace, the third mile a little bit of a tester with about half of it uphill, relaxed on the downhill and finished strong in the last mile. A mile easy jog home feeling pretty good about myself.

MP splits 5:52,5:48,5:50, 5:50

A good week with 73 miles done which included some quailty stuff too.

• Advertisement

Mon: 3.88 miles recovery

A few pints on Sunday evening resulted in being very lazy so didn't get out before I went inmto work. Brought the gear in a went for a dinnertime trot. Felt alot better after .

Tue: am - 7.1 miles incl 3 x 1 mile + 1 x 1Kish.

Down to the track with me ready to nail a session. Planned on running 4-5 mile repeats @ about 5:30 pace (10K) The first rep went pretty well, a little to fast but after the first lap when the legs loosened out I felt pretty good. The next rep was a little more controlled, slightly slower but feeling strong. Then onto the third, half way through it I started to hobble a little with a stinging pain from my foot, a blister, first one in ages. Completed the rep and thought the pain wasn't so bad so just carry on. The recovery jog did no good and it was hurting more when I started the next rep. Being on the left foot made the bends very sore and the bend after the 1K mark I was basically just hopping around so I called a halt before I did any real damage. Bit annoying but worse things happen and still an ok session.

Splits: 5:26, 5:28, 5:30 - 1K + a little 3:32

Pm- 4 miles recovery

So a bit of surgery and foot taped up just went for a trot to loosen out, a little bit stiff but foot not to bad, little bit stingy but think I'll survive.

Wed: 10.1 miles easy @ 6:55 m/m

So out to test the foot again. A little sore at times, especially on even slight downhills or uneven ground. Just tried to concentrate on not lettling it affect my form which might cause bigger problems. Otherwise a plesent run in the sunshine.

So have really let this slip the last couple of weeks. Things being going ok, couple of long runs, a couple of tempo sessions, still struggling to hit pre marathon paces or anywhere even close, missed two days with a niggle in my hip/back, an injury I had before so I learned to be careful this time (although probably caused by chainging running form because of the blister) but back running freely now and building up some nice miles, 50 in last 4 days make me happy, as does the sunshine. Anyway suppose the best thing to do is start with today and then not ignore my log as long next time...

Sun: 15.68 miles long @ 7:04 m/m

Being up at 5:30 every morning and an early start yesterday caught up with me this morning, just couldn't get out of bed. Got a text just after 10 to say there a nice group going at 11 so that got me going, shovelled down a bowl of porridge and out the door. 5 of us showed up, all with different distance plans from 6 to 12 to me just taking it as it comes, kinda hoping for around 15. Started off nice and easy, mid 7:30 pace or so, suited me fine with the porridge rolling around in the belly but the pace slowly picked up. 1 man down at the turn off for the 6 mile loop, then another dropped off. We lost another at a turn off for an 8 mile loop, then there was 2. Tipping along feeling very comfortable then realised the other lad was really pushing himself hard, looked at the watch, didn't realise we were doing 7.00 m/m and him a hoping for a 3:15 marathon, little fast so I said we'd ease back but he was having none of it. We got back to the cars at 10 miles and that was enough for him, I decided to push on and do the 6 mile loop to make a nice day of it. Picked the pace up to the 6:40s and feeling pretty good for the rest of the way. Enjoyed that one.

Mon: am 6.2 miles recovery
    pm 3.88 miles recovery.

Two handy recovery runs. Quads feeling a little tender, yesterdays mostly off road long run probably explains that, otherwise a couple of nice runs in the failing sun :(

Tue: 8.88 miles incl 5 x 1200m, 400m jog rec

Oh mentally was in the wrong place for this one. A struggle to put the runners on, then eventually got ot the door and after 2 minutes the heavens opened, nearly took that as a sign (excuse) to turn around, kept on going to the track and done a few laps, thaen feck it now or never and I kicked on. First rep a bit of a struggle and the deals starting already, another one to see how I feel, still no better. Ok the third rep dont mind time or spilts just run it. A little slower but felt better for it. Carried on in the same vein for the final 2, slowed up again and feeling tired at the end but got it done. Finding it a little hard to get focus back at the moment, racing at the weekend so hopfully that gets me back in the grove although the way I'm going I might have to keep my finishing time to myself :P

Splits: 4:06, 4:06, 4:08, 4:10, 4:10

Wed: am 8.41 mileseasy @ 6:48 m/m
    pm: 5.63 miles steady @ 6:33 m/m

The morning run was fairly standard enough, a little slow to get going and quads a little stiff after yesterday. Soon into the grove and actually feeling pretty good, with the pace feeling comfortable enough. Then to a sneaky dinner time run from work. Decided to hit Corkagh park but with only a short break had to push the pace a little to get back sort of on time. Again felt pretty good, with the rain cooling me off and the park nearly to myself I was flying around, finishing off with a couple of 6:15 miles, and back to work with a couple of minutes to spare ;).

Thurs: 7.97 miles incl 4x (5 x 200m, 200 rec) 600m rec between sets.

Went out this morning thinking I might be going to pay for yesterday evenings run, ah it only 200s, cant be that hard, can it. Usual warm up to the track and pretty quickly into the session. The first couple of reps were a matter of easing into a rhythm and getting the lungs going. Then the pace seemed to natually pick up. The first couple of sets took a simular pattern. Towards the end of the third set I really started to work hard, just tried to keep relaxed and hold what felt like good form, although I'd say if anybody was watching me would say I was all over the place. The final set I had to dig in, the last 20m of each rep a real struggle but stubborness kicked in and I finished the session. Few laps cool down and a mile wobble home, tougher than I expected but a good one all the same. A couple of easy days until a 10k race on Sunday, although just using it as a training run really.

Splits: (35,34,33,33,33) (35,34,33,33,33) (35,33,33,33,33) (34,34,33,34,34)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

nice workout - 200's are tough.......

Question on these - do you run into them then run out of them or ease in and run out??
    Always gets me - especially in he last 20-30m when following a garmin for the distance. (& I want to maximise the recoveries!)

• Advertisement

nice workout - 200's are tough.......

Question on these - do you run into them then run out of them or ease in and run out??
    Always gets me - especially in he last 20-30m when following a garmin for the distance. (& I want to maximise the recoveries!)
    I do them on a track so only use the garmin for splits with the lap button. I generally start picking up pace about 10m before I start and probably be at full pace at the start of the bend then cross the line flat out then at the end of the straight, outside lane if you know what I mean i'd be down to a slow jog, I've no real reason for doing them that way so I could be way off

Thurs pm: 3.8 miles recovery

A handy runb around citywest to shake to legs out after the earlier session, left hamstring little tight otherwise ok.

Fri: 7.33 miles easy @ 7:04 m/m

Feeling a little battered today. Quads and hamstrings pretty stiff and sore for a few miles. Feeling the effects of a hard few days, at least it feels like I'm in training again instead of just pottering about.Loosened out the last couple of miles, hopefully the legs stay loose but probably not.

Sat: 3.94 miles recovery

Just a handy pre race shake down. Quads and hamstring still tight.

Sun: Heart of Laois 10K

Arrived down with a training partner from Naas AC, both talking ourselves down, target times getting slower as we chatted. I was thinking break 36 and anything else is a bonus. So after meeting up with a few Newbridge Ac runners and a warm up with some strides we wandered over to the start where we bumped into krusty who seemed just as unsure of himself as us.
    We lined up in the second row and then off we went, the leading two, then another chasing group with the three of us following with one or two others. Settled in pretty quickly and I felt good an strong into the first mile, although it was probably completed a little to quick at 5:25. We settled down the next mile, just holding our positions, everybody seemed happy just to sit there. Into the third mile and we turned off the main road, still going pretty well although our little group seemed to be splitting up and I was left on my own. I spotted a couple of targets up the road and started to slowly reel them in. I caught the first lad at around the 4 mile or so, decided to take a little breather behind him but that didn't work as he seemed to be really struggling, so push on to the next target. I turned a corner and there was a rise in the road at the 7K mark, I thought I was going to blow up. The pace slowed and I started to have a little battle in my head. I eased back slightly to try regroup for the last couple of K. Soon enough it was back onto the main road which gave me a boost of sorts and with about a K to go I passed another runner, he tried to tag on but I gave a little push which dropped him. Got a taste of my own medicine a few hundred meters from the end when I was passed and just didn't have the legs to follow. Crossed the line done in, no more to give, the way it should be at the end of a race.
    Official time was 35:24 for 10th place. Pretty happy with that, room for improvement but I'll take that for a first 10k in 3 months. A mile and a half of so cool down with krusty cleared the legs nicely.

Splits: 5:25, 5:43, 5:36, 5:39, 5:59, 5:43, + 5:22 pace for .23 mile.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/328603082

Mon: We decided to have a club " meeting" after the race, being a good clubman I stayed to the end, ment I was a very lazy arse today. REST DAY.

Tue: 8.97 miles easy @ 6:49m/m

Ran off some of the guilt for missing yesterday with a good strong run today. After the first couple of miles I was flying and a new man when I finished.

Wed: am 3.94 miles easy @ 7:14 m/m

A little slow to get going this morning but once I got going I didn't want to stop, pity I had to go to work.

pm: 8.2 miles incl 10 x 400s, 60 sec rec.

So down for the club session, getting slagging/ abuse off the coach for missing the monday run, some Naas 'friend' after ratting me out for a having a late one Sunday. So after a few laps warm up over to the start with two of us agreeing to take turns pacing. Thats when the trouble started, we started off way to fast at despite saying we'll slow up it only lasted a couple of reps, finishing with a right auld tear up over the last 200 of the last rep. Enjoyable, tough session but felt pretty good doing it to despite the pace.

Splits: 73, 72, 72, 74,74, 72, 73, 75, 75, 70.

Thurs: 5.67 miles easy @ 6:46 m/m

We didn't go to far tonight after the session last night and the race on Sat it was just a nice trot around the curragh.

Fri: 3.94 miles recovery

Handy pre race shake down, trying to be as fresh as possible for tomorrow. One of my faster recovery runs so the signs were good.

Sat: Dunshaughlin 10K

I spent most of the day with the feet up watching the athletics on the telebox and looking out at the wind and rain thinking tonights going to be fun. Hit the road and arrived up there about an hour before kick off, quick reg and then a two mile warm up run. Got changed into battle gear and then jogged to the start and threw in a few strides. Hanging around the start line met wideball and then krusty with a look of revenge in his eyes. We lined up on the line, still a couple of rows back and noticed kielyunusual in front of us (and the line ....:P), quick chat and we were off.
    The start was very fast and I settled into position fairly quickly, looked around and seen myself and kiely matching strides so we started running shoulder to shoulder, keeping each other honest. The first mile was simular to last weeks pace but felt more comfortable, good sign. We started reeling in a group in front of us, catching the pretty quickly and just as quick we dropped and past them. The Ks seemed to be ticking off quickly and I was still feeling pretty good, hitting the 5K in 17:15. Quicker than last week but with what I thought a slower second half I started thinking sub 35 might be tough. Up over the hill, starting to work at this stage and Kiely made a move and I tucked in behind. I was feeling ok at his pace on the flat and slight rises but struggling to hold him on the downhills, the leg speed just not there. I made a little move to take over the work at one stage, got side by side but the legs said no, starting to struggle now at the 8K mark. I think a bit of me slowly slightly and kiely upping the pace I started to lose touch and in the last K it was a battle between me and and a liffey vally runner, He made a move and I couldn't react. Looked around and seen my position was safe, then got sight of the clock, 34:00 so raised a 'sprint' to ensure a small PB.
    Met a few boardsies at the end, all very happy with their times, especially meno with a massive pb and huayra with a scary first ever 10K time.

Splits: 5:26, 5:31, 5:35, 5:26, 5:44, 5:37, 5:29 pace last bit
    10K in 34:34 (36th place)

Sun: 13.85 miles easy @ 6:59 m/m

Had to work this morning, nearly a big regret, picked something up and felt a twinge in my back and feeling it all day. Eased off this evening so decided to give a run a shot to see if there was any reaction. Lucky enough none so far. Legs felt pretty good, well until the last mile which was a major struggle, uphill into the wind. Good to get out, was starting to get edgy sitting around.

Dublin Marathon: 18 weeks to go. Weekly target 80 miles.

Starting the Daniels plan a 18 week plan A today, first time using Daniels so its going to be a learning experience. I'll probably tweek a few things along the way but hopefully I'll be able to stick to the broad outline of the plan. Anyway here goes....

Mon: 6.2 miles recovery

No point in rushing into things:). Just a run to loosen out from the weekend, feeling pretty ok, some tightness in the back but nothing some stretching and rolling wont sort. Will get a few more miles this evening.

Mon: afternoon stretches/ foam roll 30 mins

Pm: 3.91 miles recovery

A dinnertime trot to shake the legs out, nothing much to say about that.

Tue: AM 11.65 miles incl (6 x 1200m) + (4 x 200m)

So first session of the plan, with a little change, added on a few 200s at the end, to vary the pace and get used to changing gears while tired, well thats my theory anyway. Jogged down to the track and then off with me. Its amazing how a few sessions and a couple of races bring you on and also mentally harden you up. The last time I did these, about 2 weeks ago, I was considering bailing after one and struggled to get 5 in finishing up with a couple at 4:10 splits. Today was completly different, just got on with it. While it was hard going I didn't dread any of the reps and the pace ended up very even for the six. Then after 4 laps recovery after the 1200s I threw in a few 200s. The first one was a bit of a struggle to get the legs moving but the next three it felt more natural and the pace picked up slightly to. Overall a tough but very satisfying session.

Splits: 1200s ( 4:05, 4:05, 4:04, 4:03, 4:04, 4:03) 200s ( 34,33,33,33)

PM 3.92 miles recovery

I wasn't sure if this was a good idea or not after the tough session this morning but couldn't help myself. Felt tired going around so just took it nice and handy and felt alot better when I finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Hi ronnie have a question for you on P&D if you don't mind? Did you stick to the plan rigidly or did you add in more marathon paced miles it's just that there doesn't seem to be too many in the plan. Thanks.

Hi ronnie have a question for you on P&D if you don't mind? Did you stick to the plan rigidly or did you add in more marathon paced miles it's just that there doesn't seem to be too many in the plan. Thanks.
    Hey, I stuck with it nearly mile for mile. I can see what your saying about the lack of MP miles and it was a worry for me in the last marathon I did, more because I was a little intimidated by the goal pace more than anything. All I can say is I had good success following it, along with off the top of my head krusty and the boyblunder from here all done sub 2:50 marathons following it fairly rigidly. My advice for what thats worth is trust the plan and follow it as closely as possible, of course listening to your body if its telling you that you need to back off at times

Wed: 11.4 miles easy @ 6:47m/m

The first few miles of this were a little tough, yesterday still in the legs. I kept on pulling back on the pace until I felt comfortable. I was just drifting around the curragh in a world of my own,enjoying the sun, oh and watching the army boys and girls jumping out of planes :eek:, not realising I was doing 6:30 miles and comfortably at that.Eased off a little for the last few but finished up feeling better than when I started.

Its being a while since an update, I had to purge a lot of guilt before I posted anything, thats kind of done so here goes.

Wed: PM 3.9 miles easy @ 7:19 m/m, standard dinner time work loosener

Thurs: 7.3 miles @ 6:57 m/m, Took it handy enough, feeling tired.

Fri: 3.95 miles recovery, Just took it handy with a race in the evening.

Fri: Pm: Kilcock 5K

Lined up beside naas ac whose scalp I took in Laois a couple of weeks ago and a fellow newbridge runner who a is consistant low 17 runner. We got the shout and quickly found ourselves running together. I didn't check the pace for a while but it was feeling a little tough, with the newbridge runner beside me I thought it was just a tough week behind me, then naas said F this, I checked the pace, 5:04 avg for slightly more than a K, needless to say I took his advice and we let Newbridge get on with it, wondering what sort of secret training hes being doing. So we eased back to complete the first mile in 5:10. We held a nice rhythm for a couple of K after this, passing newbridge after about 2.5K thinking it was going to be a very tough second half for him. The next mile was done in 5:24, now time to push on again, problem was I didn't have much left myself after the fast start and was doing all I could just to hold pace. We passed the 800 to go and naas raised the pace slightly, I replied but was fighting a loosing battle and the gap started to open. Mile 3 5:24. I knew I was only fighting for a time at this stage so raised the pace as much as I could for the last couple hundred meters to finish in 16:27 for 18th place. 34 second PB :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/334636059

Sat: 19.03 miles long @ 6:48

Surprisingly good for most of this after the race although I tired pretty badly in the last 3, the last mile seemed to last forever.

Then it all went wrong. I had a running meltdown, Sunday the day just seemed to drift by without getting out for the 3 miles to complete the target of 80 for the week, no disaster. Monday everything conspired against me, didn't get out, then hit complete meltdown. Motivation rock bottom, just sat on my fat arse tues and wed, no excuses just pure laziness. Had serious words with myself and Thursday got back into it.

Thurs: am - 3.9 miles easy @ 7:18 m/m

Just to get the legs going again, felt like I was off a month.

PM: 10.01 miles steady @ 6:29 m/m

So the legs were working again this evening. Out on the club run and took the freshness of a few days off out on one of the lads, felt great, guilt of days off still there though.

Fri: 3.9 miles easy @ 7:08

Handy early morning run, could feel yesterday evening in the legs.

Fri: 8.03 miles easy @ 7:06 m/m

Paid for the fast run and the days off during the week and this one was a real struggle although I kept telling myself to ease off the legs didn't react and just kept plodding around at the same pace.

Sat: 12 miles incl 7 @ adjusted tempo (~6:00 m/m)

Dreading this after tough run friday evening. Out for a 2 mile warm up, not feeling great at all. Said to myself get started and if still feeling bad just do the 4 miles and leave it at that. Improved as I went, 4 miles done and going ok, not going to stop now. The last mile was a little tough but suppose thats what its ment to be like. 3 mile easy cool down, the last mile of which I felt very tired.

Tempo splits: 5:59, 5:57, 5:52, 5:53, 5:56, 5:56, 5:52.

Sun: 18.01 miles long @ 6:56 m/m

Met the club for this and had company for the first 10 miles, just tipping around at 7 m/m pace or so feeling very comfortable. Upped the pace slightly for the last 8 and went ok, again feeling it a little towards the end but not so bad.

So a little bit of redemption towards the end of the week but still not good enough.

• Advertisement

Oh and 16 weeks to go and for a couple of reasons the next month I'll be breaking the milage into 2 week cycles, so it will take the pressure off really chasing miles weekly, thats the plan anyway.

WEEK 16 + 15 TARGET : 160 MILES

19 miles @6:48 the day after a 5k PB.

No wonder your body was calling for a well earned break.
    Also envious of your 7 tempo miles :)

Super running.

Mon: Am 6.2 miles recovery

A little tired this morning, troted around enjoying the sun, pace picking up as I went.

Pm. 4.76 miles easy @ 7:16m/m

Felt alot better, didn't push the pace at all and felt very comfortable, the difference a few hours make.

Tue: 8.17 miles incl 6 x 1K, 3 min rec

A good session in the heat. Waterbottle in the freezer foor an hour before I left, best bit of thinking I've done in a while, glad of the icy water after a few reps. signet on and all set. The usual jog to the track, few laps warm up and a few strides, , sweat bucketing off aready, off came the signet and on with the reps. Felt ok for them, legs still a little heavy from the weekend, or maybe it was because I missed a session last week. The splits were pretty even so happy enough.

Splits: 3:18, 3:20, 3:20, 3:21, 3:20, 3:21.

Tues: PM 3.91 miles recovery

nice little run in the sun, not feeling bad.

Wed: 8.4 miles easy @ 7:01 m/m

A little sluggish today, yesterdays session still in the legs. Tried to take it handy enough with a big day planned for tomorrow, was a little bit shocked to see the average pace at the end, should have eased back a little more, ah well.

Thurs: 15.82 miles incl 5 x 1 mile @ tempo, 1 min rec.

So the second session of the week and wasn't to sure what to expect from it. Down to the track, loaded up with water again and catching a couple of people getting some 'under the radar' 800s in. Done a few laps to make up 2 miles warm up then into the tempo miles. The first one I found it hard to pace myself, going through the first 200 in 39 sec, pulled back and settle in after a couple of laps. Feeling easy at this stage and was waiting for the 1 minute recovery to be up to go again. Paced the second rep better with a more even pace, still feeling pretty good. The work started on the 4th rep, not struggling but still working hard, a sure sign was the recovery passed in a blink of an eye. The last rep was again hard work but not killer so happy how this part of the day went. Normally it would be a little cool down and go home all proud of myself but not today, still 1 hour of easy running to go. Lashed some water into me, few more laps of the track and then out onto the roads. Started off a little slow, feeling a little tired, around 7:45 pace but the longer I went the stronger I felt with 8.3 miles done in the hour @ 7:16 average, happy how all that went, getting used to this heat.

Tempo splits: 5:45, 5:46, 5:45, 5:45, 5:45.

Fri: 7.3 miles easy @ 6:57 m/m

Out early enough this morning and the legs didn't thank me, took about 4 miles for them to wake up and loosen out. Felt ok after that although I could feel a little fatigue in the legs on a few uphills, to be expected after yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just spotted your sneaky under the radar win!!

Congrats, cracking time

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just spotted your sneaky under the radar win!!

Congrats, cracking time

Ha ha ta, lucky enough my hols are keeping me from a long rambling race report, its in the post though ;)

Being to long for since an update, suffice to say training was going pretty well leading up to a sneaky half marathon in Killarney to start a weeks holidays in the Kingdom.

Killarney Half Marathon

I know all the complaints, expensive, commercial race but feck it no better way to start a holiday than racing around Killarney National Park, so signed up when a few of us decided to head down. Arrived down Friday evening, collected the race pack with no trouble, bite to eat and then with and early start settled into the b&b watching some really bad film. Up early, quick bite to eat and into the first warm up, a mile jog down to the buses, people looking at me like I was crazy, used to that by now. Up to Molls Gap about an hour before the race, found a nice spot to settle in and then a couple of club mates who made the trip came over for a chat. Time passed nearly too quick and after a bit of a rushed warm up where I moved down to the start, getting a shout and a quick chat with eaurouge who was pacing the 1:30 group.

0-3 miles

The gun went off and 5 of us took the lead on a fast downhill, to fast for me and I started to lose touch with, the group also spiltting into 2 groups of two. After the first mile the road leveled off for a while and I slowly started to gain on the next group which seemed to be splitting into single file. I wasn't feeling great at this point, legs a little dead or something but it was still early, so a worry but not a disaster. I caught the next lad just as we were about to hit the real downhill section.

Splits: 5:06, 5:34, 5:49

3-6 miles

The next two miles were nearly straight downhill which doesn't seem to suit me at all, the leaders pulled away again and the lad I caught was getting a little gap but I held it pretty small. At this stage I had an idea that if I kept in touch I had a chance when then road leveled out. As soon as it did I made ground quicker than expected, catching and passing the next 3 fairly quickly and while I was hurting I wasn't going into the red. The leader had about 30m on me at this stage.

Splits: 5:15, 5:18, 5:37

6-9 miles

At this stage the course became pretty tough with a few nice ramps and very little time to relax. I was slowly gaining on the leader and in the middle of the seventh mile I caught him. He seemed to be going ok but didn't seem to be able to pick up the pace as I passed. There was nobody else near us so decided to ease back to his pace for a while as there was still a long way to go at this stage, at the time not sure if it was a mistake or should I be pushing home while I was stronger.

Splits: 5:56, 5:56, 6:01.

9-12 miles
    Just around mile 9 there was a steep rise and the other leader just stopped running, after a few confused looks around by me I knew I had a great chance. Talking to him at the finish he said he had a stitch, made life easier to for me. Now I was telling myself not to panic, just run within myself and dont even give myself a chance of blowing up. Into the park and I hit the 10K route which was great, counting the kilometers was mentally so much easier than the miles. Just before the exit to the park there was a long straight followed by a turn, quick look back and nobdy in sight, I knew I had it.

Splits: 5:59, 6:01, 6:04

12 - Finish

At this stage I was just willing the finish, couldn't wait to cross the line. Had to tell myself to keep it steady, dont want to risk cramping or anything. It was a long straight road and you could see the finish for a while, just ticking along. Hit the 13 mile mark and turned into the finish in the hotel to a cheer, couldn't help smilling then the hands in the air across the line, tired but delighted

Splits: 6:00 and a bit of change

Official 1:14:53 for first place :D (never thought I'd say that)

The next week was a disaster runnung wise, 4 lads and a week in Dingle is not the best training conditions, I'll say no more, great time though. 18 weeks is really to long a program for me.

Back to it.

Mon: 6.23 miles easy @ 7:17 m/m

Easy run to sweat the badness out.

Tue: 11.48 miles easy @ 6:58 m/m

Another easy one, not 100% yet .

Wed: 10.77 miles incl 5 x 1K 3min rec, 4 x 400m 60 rec.

Strange one. Struggled with the the 1000s, desereved that after last week, the the rest of them started doind 400s and I couldn't help myself.

Splits: 3:22, 3:21, 3:21, 3:25, 3:25. 80,78,78,73.

Thurs: 7.97 miles easy @ 6:42 m/m

Felt human again thank god.

Congrats on the win, super stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Brilliant stuff!

Advertisement