Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Today: Rest day

Plan for week:

Mon: 9 miles incl 5 @HMP
    Tue: 14 miles long
    Wed: 5 miles recovery
    Thurs: 12 miles medium/long
    Fri: 5 miles recovery
    Sat: 18 miles long incl 10 @ MP, scary
    Sun: Rest

Today: 9.01 miles @ 7:37 incl 5 @ HMP

Started with a 2 mile warm up, about 8:20 m/m's. Legs a little stiff but no big deal. Then down to business. Decided before I went out to slow these down from ecoli's advice last time, was going to aim for about 6:50 miles. Had problems judging my pace and ended up faster than the target (sorry ecoli :P) but still felt like I was holding back. Had plenty in the tank after 5 miles so maybe I wasn't to far off the right intensity.

Splits:
    6:41
    6:43
    6:44
    6:45
    6:43

A nice easy 2 mile cool down at near enough 9m/m to end a surprisingly enjoyable session.

Yesterday: 14.04 splishy sploshy miles @ 7:53m/m

Yet to decide if i like running in the rain or not, was that bad there was no point avoiding the puddles, just head down and straight on through them. Glad to see a fair few other brave souls out in that weather. Legs felt tired today, esp on hills, will ease up the pace for the next couple of days to prepare for the big session on Sat. Then a well deserved step back week to follow.

Today; 5.1 miles recovery

Felt better today, trotted around at a nice slow recovery pace, felt very relaxed.

Today; 12.26 miles @ 7:49 m/m

Still felt a little tired, esp around the calfs, probably didn't help that I didn't stretch yesterday, made up for it tonight. Nice run otherwise, perfect weather for it. Now for my first couple of pints for nearly a month :p

Today: 5.36 very slow recovery miles.

Late night last night and early morning don't really mix, stupid boring Liverpool making me drink to forget what i was watching. Slow jog did the job of clearing the legs and head, its the best cure me thinks

• Advertisement

Today: 18.36 miles @ 7:33 m/m incl 10 @ MP

Bad start, first 4 miles at 8:20 pace or so. The legs felt very heavy, was worried how they would react to 10 MP miles. The first 2 were a struggle then I think the body realised it had work to do. Something clicked and was feeling comfortable and nearly enjoying the pace in the sunshine. Was planning on 7:10 pace, a few miles were faster but none slower and finished strong. Last 4 miles home at about 8/8:10 pace, tired but satisfied with my mornings work. A recovery week next week, much needed I think as legs were tired the last couple of days.

Splits
    7:08
    7;07
    7:08
    7:01
    7:04
    6:59
    7:05
    7:01
    7:09
    6:52

Yesterday: 30 min swim, nothing mad, more relaxing than anything. 2 lengths crawl, 4 lengths breaststroke x about 6 reps

Today: 7.1 miles easy @ 8:03 m/m + strides x 10 (total 8.17 miles)

Nice sunny morning. Started out at a nice steady pace and just kept it nice and comfortable today. Legs felt better, a little stiffness in my left calf and achillies but it improved the longer I was going. Finished up with 10 strides, feeling nice and loose. I think the swim yesterday helped with recovery from Saturdays session, may get in the pool more often.

Plan for week:
    Mon: 8 miles with strides x 10
    Tue: 12 miles medium/long
    Thurs: 10 miles easy
    Fri: 5 miles recovery
    Sat: 15 miles Long
    Sun: rest

Nearly a 9 mile planned reduction in volume for the week, will also slow the runs down to ensure a good recovery week to be ready to push on from here over the next few weeks.

Today: 12.26 miles easy @ 8:06 m/m

Ran mostly by feel today, only checked the watch every now and again for HR, making sure I didn't push to hard. Must be getting used to this running lark as I ran a very even pace without watching it. Have a small niggle in my left ankle, achillies kind of area, nothing to worry about yet but will keep a close eye on it. Feels like the tiredness that was in the legs last week is nearly gone.

Today: 5.41 miles recovery

One of them days when running slow felt harder than a fast run. Ankle didn't give any trouble so it looks like it was nothing to worry about. Kept the HR down but was fighting myself abit today, kept checking the watch to make sure I wasn't going to hard which made it not the most enjoyable of mornings. Agggh I think the dull morning has made me grumpy :(

Toaday: Where do I start.....

Early AM: 3.95mile @ reccovery pace.

Not planned, just woke up and felt like going for a jog, not because misters P&D said so......cue teenage strope

Late AM: Circuit training class.

Had it in my head for a while to try this in the local gym for a while. Found out a few things, 1. it not easy, 2. I have a serious lack of upper body strength, 3. it really not easy. Going to make this class a more regular thing as it seemed to be getting all the areas that are being neglected by just running.

Early PM: 9.92 miles easy @ 8:06 m/m

At last a planned session today. First mile or 2 felt a little strange, a bit of tightness in the legs already after the circuit training. Settled into a nice rhythm after that until I hit a gale force wind into my face. It was the last thing I needed but just kept plodding along not pushing to hard. The last 3 miles were a gift with the wind at my back, felt like I was flying with no effort.

13.87 miles for the day. Thats what a day off work does, it would have bein easier to go in, good one though :D

• Advertisement

Missed a few days logging, being a hectic few days since thurs plus was thick with myself, first missed planned session of the year happened on sat, very upset with myself.

Fri: 4.97 miles recovery

Stiff after circuit training so decided to do this on grass, laps of local GAA pitch, not very interesting

Sat: missed day :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sun: Rest day

Plan for week:

Mon: 10 miles incl 5 @ HMP
    Tue: 14 miles long
    Thurs: 11 miles easy
    Fri: 7 miles easy
    Sat: 21 miles long
    Sun: Rest/ swim

Yesterday: 10.05 miles @ 7:36 m/m incl 5 @ HMP

motivation down after the missed session, struggled to get out the door, glad I did, lovely evening for this. 2 miles w/u @ ~ 8 m/m then into the tempo run. Legs a little slow to get going but got stronger as the miles ticked by, finishing feeling a lot better than the start. Confidence and motivation back after these. Finished with 3 miles c/d @ ~ 8:40 m/m.

Splits:
    6:47
    6:49
    6:47

Today: 14.06 miles long/hills @ 7:35 m/m

Felt strong today. Picked a hilly route and ran a decent clip. So much easier to run faster when the sun is out. Seem to be getting faster as I went on without putting any extra effort in.

233 miles in 24 runs.
    Av per run 9.46 miles.
    10 miles @ PMP (~7.05 m/m)
    14 miles @ Hm pace (~6:45 m/m)
    0 Races

No injury/niggle worries

Today: 5.14 miles recovery

Nice relaxing trot around the town, another super evening for it. Wore the ipod for first time ever, didn't really like having it on, kept on losing my rhythm and travelled faster than I should have being, although discovered Massive Attack has the right beat for a recovery run, stay away from ac/dc.

Today: 11.47 miles easy @ 7:45 m/m

Perfect evening for a run, clear sky, bit of a cool breeze and strong legs. Felt like I could run all day. Seem to be going well after the weekend off although not going to make a habit of that. Everybody seems to be in so much better form when the weather is good, got more hellos, smiles and waves today than I did over the rest of the year.

Today: 6.18 miles easy @ 8:25 m/m + strides x 10 ( 7.38 miles total)

Nothing much to report. Went out at the lower end of the easy scale and sped up (slightly) as I went on. Legs a little heavy today although the first couple of strides seemed to stretch them and loosen them out a bit. Looking at entering few races now, Mallow 10 maybe, GIR (back to where I started) probably, BHAA 10k in May and plan calls for a 10k easter weekend, struggling to find one local, Butlerstown maybe, excuse for a night or 2 in Waterford :D, oh and the Kildare half, just to jog around on some of my regular training roads as my last long run the week before Edinburgh

Being a strange couple of weeks, very hectic, life testing me but still getting the runs in.

Summary of last week:

Sat: 21.5 miles long @ 7: 48 m/m

Went well, felt tired after 13/14 miles but kept going at same pace and improved towards end of run

Sun: Celebrate Liverpool beating Man U, hard work

Mon: 4 miles hungover recovery run

Planned to be a double day 6 & 4, did the 4 first to clear the head, couldn't fit the 6 in as ended up in A & E with the OH mon night till 5am, nothing serious thank god.

Tue: 14.05 long @ 8:08 m/m

With the lack of sleep last night/morning before just went and ran by how I was feeling and didn't push at all, went surprisingly well

Wed: Got my double in today, am 6 miles recovery, pm 4 miles recovery.

Today: 11.14 miles @ 7:36 m/m incl 6 @ HMP

Every time I do a tempo run the wind seems to pick up, ah well strength work in disguise, little tired at the start but found rhythm quickly and ended up being a good session.

splits:
    6:38
    6:45
    6:40
    6:48
    6:42
    6:41

Even enough splits considering the wind and had more in the tank at the end so happy with that:)

Plan:
    6 mile recovery tomorrow and 20 mile long on Sat.

Today: 6.16 miles recovery

Running in the rain is much nicer than the wind, nice relaxing run. Pace nearly 30 sec per mile faster than normal recovery runs with same HR whatever that means, hopefully I getting fitter :cool:

Today: 21.52 miles @ 7:43 m/m

Mixed bag today. Woke up and looked out the window expecting all sorts of weather but it was an ok morning, little did i know that would all change, well I should have known :rolleyes:. First six miles where a bit more of a struggle than usual which made me nervous, it would be a long run feeling like that then all of a sudden I was flying, 7:30 m/m without even thinking about it, this is easy. Then the weather gods hit, rain and wind, the wind chill making it really really cold. Kept the pace up but the enjoyment was gone, like the feeling in my hands, no gloves, big mistake. Legs still going well then another problem which has started to affect me lately, shoulders getting very sore, made the last 4 miles very uncomfortable. Dont know if its a form thing or lack of upper body work. Was glad To see my front door, then the final problem, couldn't turn the key with numb hands ....

Sun: 30 min spash in the swimming pool

Plan for week:

Bit of juggling about this week, night out on fri, dont think 12 MP miles would be the best after that on Sat:p

Mon: am 6 miles recocery
    pm 4 miles recovery
    Tue: 15 miles long
    Wed: 6 miles recovery
    Thurs: 16 miles incl 12 @ MP
    Fri: 13 miles long
    Sat: 7 miles recovery
    Sun: rest

Mon: am run didn't work out, stupid snooze button
    Early pm: 6 miles recovery
    Little stiff from sat but felt good after 3 miles.
    Late PM: 5 miles recovery
    Very slow run about 9pm, prob the latest I have ever being out, enjoyed it though, lovely calm night.

Today: 15.1 miles @ 7:22m/m

I go some much better when the sun is shining, was flying today. Kept the HR within the limits and just ran, still plenty in the tank when I finished, big confidence boost today, roll on a good summer :)

Today: 6 mile recovery run in the sun

Another lovely evening, so much easier to get out when the weather is like this. The only problem is the amount of dog sh1te around the place has gone up x10 with people walking their dogs and not scooping :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Today: 16.75 miles @ 7:30 incl 12 @ MP

Good tough session, perfect day for it to, very little wind. Have a 4 mile lap which is fairly flat apart from a railway bridge that I'm using for tempo sessions so 3 laps after warm up, not as scary counting laps as miles:). 2 miles warm up about 8:25 m/m or so and then into the tempo.First 3 miles a struggle as usual then felt comfortable at MP pace when my legs woke up. I'm finding these long MP sessions are nearly as tough a mental battle than physical, although they pretty tough on the body to. Felt like slowing up a couple of times but glad I pushed on through and just to be cruel the last .2 of a mile was up the bridge against the wind. Finished with nearly 3 miles cool down miles, 8:50m/m or so, tired but satisfied with a good days work. Should stand to me.
    Splits:
    7:01,7:01,7:03,7:00,7:03,6:59,7:01,7:03,7:00,6:54,7:02,6:54

A missed run on Thursday, a 13 miler planned my groin was sore so decided not to risk it.

Sat: 6 mile recovery run.

Was suppose to do strides with this but still felt a niggle so didn't want to stretch the legs that much. Plenty of stretching to be done of next couple of days.

Sun: rest day, just some stretching

Plan for week:
    Mon: 9 miles easy
    Tue: 9 miles incl 6 x 800 intervals
    Wed: 6 miles recovery
    Thurs: 11 miles easy
    Fri: 8 miles easy
    Sat: Rest ( 2/3 mile v easy pre race loosener)
    Sun: Mallow 10 race

Mon: 9.02 miles easy @ 8:00 m/m

Stretching and an easy few days seem to have done the trick with the groin, no pain or tightness today. I hate missing sessions as my motivation seems to dip for a few days after but it was probably for the best this time. First few miles were a little bit a struggle to find my rhythm plus didn't really fancy it at all today but after half way or so started to enjoy it and it felt good again. Looking forward to testing the legs in Mallow now at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Be careful with the groin. I had a slight strain last year and ended up going to the Physio. Apparently stretching can make the injury worse and can just tear it more. You need to concentrate more on strenghtening excercises.

Today: 9 miles incl 6 x 800 intervals

First speed session since last september so didn't know what to expect. Decided to go down to the newbridge track for the first time to do these. 2 mile warm up jog to get to the track and did a few stretches and then into the session. First interval was to fast, found it hard to judge my pace, inexperience I suppose.Did 600m recovery jog between the intervals to be sure I recovered. Slowed down for the rest of them but probably still abit quick, surprisingly even splits though. Don't know if enjoyed is the right word but very happy with the session, roll on the next one ;). 1.5 mile c/d home to finish off.
    Splits:
    2:54
    2:57
    2:56
    2:58

Today: 6.16 mile recovery

Nice easy recovery run, they getting faster to, felt good today. Mistimed it abit today and ended up in the middle of the school run, never seen the town as blocked with traffic, looks like the young uns dont walk or cycle anymore, even when the sun is out :mad:. Was glad to get out into the 'countryside' away from the madness

Today: 11.44 miles easy @ 7:31 m/m

Another lovely morning to be out. Felt good from the start and kept a nice even pace for the run. Little tired for the last 2 miles or so, think it was just Tuesdays interval session still in the legs. A couple of handy days now till Mallow.

Today: 7.3 miles easy @ 8:04 m/m + strides x 10 ( total 8.4 miles)

Nice handy run although legs felt a little dead and one paced today but not tired, strange :confused:, hopefully it was just running without breakfast. Threw a few strides in at the end to get the legs turning over and loads of stretching and the torture of the dreaded foam roller when I got home.

Car packed with a couple of bananas, luco sport, water and most important a few decent CDs for the trip down, Sun morning radio very dodgy. Arrived in Mallow about half 11 and into a very quick efficent registration, then about a mile jog/ warm up down to the start. Feeling nervous as it is my first race in about 2 months and not really sure what level I was at. Had sub 65 in my mind and sub 67 as the back up plan.
    Lined up just in front of the 70 min pacer and after the usual jostling for position in the first half mile settled in to a group travelling at a pace that felt about right. First mile in 6:21, quicker than I expected but feeling good. A few gaps started to open up so decided to push on to the next group down the road, reached them and then a little group of 3 split off the front and just went with them. We stayed together for the nearly the rest of the race just picking off little groups as we went along. Split at 5 miles was 31:20, getting worried as it was alot faster than I expected but still feeling strong. Then around the 8 mile mark I had a decision to make, started to go into the red, ease off and take a solid time, legs burning and HR over 190 but still felt like I could hold the group. Stubbornness said hold on which I did. Then just as we hit the last bridge with loads of traffic one of the lads blew up in front and I couldn't get past for about 10 secs, was left on my own to attempt to sprint in with the last few ounces of energy I had left. Crossed the line in 62:44 by the watch (62:46 official), wasted but delighted. Then I got a little bonus, a spot prize to ease the pain:).Av Hr over last 2 miles was 195 :eek:.
    Splits:
    6:21
    6:22
    6:03
    6:10
    6:17
    6:13
    6:19
    6:13
    6:15
    6:14
    0:12 - .03 mile

Today: 6 mile recovery (so far)

A little stiff today but not as bad as i thought I would be. Just took it nice and handy to loosen up. Due another 4 mile recovery run later, we'll see;)

Plan for week:

Mon: am 6 mile recovery
    pm 4 mile recovery
    Tue: 15 mile long
    Wed: 6 mile recovery
    Thurs: 12 mile incl 7@ HMP (maybe)
    Fri: 5 mile recovery
    Sat: 22 mile long
    Sun: Rest

Not sure if I'll do the HMP tempo after that race, will see how the legs are plus its a heavy milage week anyway, could be risky.
    Will I adjust my tempo/interval paces after my time in Mallow??? Things might have just got harder :eek::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

That's pretty good running - any feeling you could have gone sub-60 if you'd really gone all-out?

Advertisement