Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fantastic Runing, that's some serious improvement on Waterford!!
    I told you I'd be nowhere near you yesterday.

Mcmillan now has you as comfortably sub 3 for the marathon.
    Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

@ brownian

Dont think I had sub 60 in me yesterday, say I could have found a minute at the very most, thats being optimistic. Stamina fairly good at the moment but just dont have enough speed in the legs. Frank Duffy 10 maybe..... something to aim for anyway.

@ menoscemo

Yeah, surprised myself, a couple of good months training makes some difference. You had a good day yourself yesterday, looks like your ultra goal is well within reach and the with a bit of speedwork on top of that base you'll be flying for the summer. I Wont mention your extra cirricular activities, tut tut, cans on the train eh, lucky feckers :D.
    Sub 3 marathon is on my mind now but from reading some logs here alot faster people than me missed out after some bad luck, just going to concentrate on the next 8 weeks training and hopefully get to the start line injury free, never know after that :)

Today: 15.1 miles long @ 7:40 m/m

One of them days found it hard to get out the door, legs still a little stiff all day from Sunday. Started off fairly slow and build up the pace. Right calf and left quad took the longest to free up and going downhill everything seemed to tighten up. Around half way around started to feel somewhat normal and sped up every mile till I got home, feeling strong. More stretching and foam rolling for the evening now aghhhh. Missed last nights 4 mile recovery, l got to lazy in front of the tele box , will get the double in tomorrow.
    Oh put myself in the sub 3 index thing, still thinking Dublin but hopefully it will happen sooner ;)

Yesterday: 6.14 miles recovery

Uneventful really,still a little tired but coming around.

Today: 12.54 miles @ 7:34 m/m incl 7 @ HMP

Wasn't to sure if I was going to do this session or just turn it into a 12-14 mile easy run, only decided when I got out the door and set off towards my "tempo route", knew I would be thick with myself if I didn't do it. Lucky enough the wind died down a fair bit which helped so just went for it. Legs still not flying but held the pace fairly well, aimed for 6:40 pace and was there or there abouts for most of the splits. The last couple of miles hurt , just gritted my teeth and battled through. 3 miles cool down and now going to reward myself with a couple of cool beers for a good job done.
    Splits:
    6:41
    6:43
    6:32
    6:37
    6:35
    6:41
    6:34

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Will I adjust my tempo/interval paces after my time in Mallow??? Things might have just got harder :eek::)

Go with the new and improved tempo pace. 7 miles straight up at tempo pace is a hell of a session, especially the week of a race. I just had a glance at Daniels, that 62:40 gives you a VDOT of around 54/55 so he says T mile pace is around 6:25.

• Advertisement

dermCu wrote: »
    Go with the new and improved tempo pace. 7 miles straight up at tempo pace is a hell of a session, especially the week of a race. I just had a glance at Daniels, that 62:40 gives you a VDOT of around 54/55 so he says T mile pace is around 6:25.
    Didn't have my head or legs right for going any faster yesterday, next time ;-)

Friday: 5.13 miles recovery

Very tired today, nice and slow jog, legs were ok, body fecked. Bed at half 9 and slept like a baby, crazy me on a friday night.

Saturday: 22.14 miles Long @ 7:36 m/m

Happy with this considering how I was feeling Friday evening, was dreading it, expecting 3 hours of pain but turns out it was fairly comfortable. Sleep is good. Took 3 gels and nearly a litre of water drank. Felt strong till the end so stamina is good at the moment.

Sun: Rest day

Plan for week:

Bit of jiggling sessions around for next couple of weeks as have a few things on.

Mon: 9 miles incl 5 x 600 @5k pace
    Tue: 15 miles long
    Wed: am 6 miles recovery
    pm 4 miles recovery
    Thurs: 12 miles easy
    Fri: 5 miles recovery
    Sat: 2/3 miles pre race run
    Sun: GIR 10k

Then next Monday my first long run after a race, not looking forward to that.

Mon: 7.22 miles incl 5 x 600s

Made a real mess of these. First mistake was going out Sunday evening for a couple of pints and staying out :(. Dragged myself out the door sore head and all, really not looking forward to the interval session. 2.5 mile warm up, legs a little tired but from sat but not to bad. Made it to the track and did a couple of laps, putting off the inevitable pain. Here goes and pressed the lap button on the watch. Second mistake, way to fast for first split, slowed down for second but still to fast, third about right but started to struggle, head pounding, stomach going like a washing machine. The last two intervals were done, to slow but it was a case of just getting them done. Not an enjoyable session at all. Lessons learned, intervals and beer dont mix and pace myself properly. Splits: 2:03, 2:06, 2:10, 2:13, 2:12.

Today: 15.1 miles @ 7:56 m/m

Bad day at the office again. Felt yesterday in the legs for the first 8 miles or so, just didn't feel good at all. It must be getting old or something but think Sunday night was still in the system. Clicked into gear after around 8 miles and finished well with a couple of 7:20 m/m. Nothing to tough for the rest of the week so hopefully will be back right for the 10k on sunday.

Wed: Am: 6 miles recovery
    Pm: 4 miles recovery

Felt human again, slight stiffness in calfs but cleared up for the second run.

Thurs: 13.57 miles easy @ 7:57 m/m

Didn't push this to hard, just cruised along at a nice even pace, 8 min miles or so enjoying the sorroundings. After a bad couple of days earlier on this week needed an enjoyable run and this worked wonders. A tough week next week so a few easy days will do no harm.

Fri: 6.13 miles recovery

Lovely sunshine jog, feeling good.

Sat: 5.13 miles recovery

Holding myself back today, just a pre race loosener, feeling strong and the eary week mishaps seem to be behind me. Will find out tomorrow:D

Was a little worried traveling up that I was running fairly late, luckly they held the start back half an hour for me so had plenty of time to warm up. Watched the start of the womens race then took up position in the middle of the orange wave. 20 mins later we were off, the start time was my only complaint for the day. The wave start worked alot better than last years mass start and I could get a fairly clear run after about the first K, although judging by my splits it was a little to clear, started to fast, this was to come back to haunt me latter. Hit 5k in ~18:30 so thought to myself I had a minute to play with for the tougher second half and still feeling strong and cool with a bottle of water over my head. Started to feel it on the second hill then on the last hill really struggled, eased off a little coming over the top to regroup and push on then to the finish. Picked the pace up a little in the last 800m after being passed but my so called 'kick' didn't work. Crossed the line in 38:19, missed my sub 38 but still very happy. A 5 1/2 min pb and 8 mins faster than last year. Enjoyed the day, a great atmosphere there, the only problem is I'm running out of soft Pbs :P
    Splits:
    6:09
    5:49
    5:44
    6:16
    6:23
    6:24
    1:32 - loose change

• Advertisement

Today: 18.2 miles long @ 7:52 m/m

Passed the walking down stairs test without any problems so felt ready for this run. The P&D bible have a long run after each scheduled off 8-10k race but at the lower end of long run pace, which I was happy to oblidge. Started off surprisingly fresh, legs only felt a little heavy on some uphill drags. I was running off HR and tagging off 8 m/m's automatically. Clicked up a gear after about 6 miles to about 7:40 m/m feeling good, until about mile 16 of so, became a little bit of a struggle. Held the pace until I got home, tired but not shattered. Rest day tomorrow, first in 8 days, yay.

Plan for week:
    Mon: 18 miles long
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: 10 milers incl 6 x 1000 @ 5k
    Thurs: am 6 miles recovery
    pm 4 miles recovery
    Fri: 18 miles incl 14 @ MP :eek:
    Sat: 5 miles recovery
    Sun: 12 miles easy (probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

That's good stuff Ronnie, long run after a race. Some great results there recently; keep it up.

Today: 10.06 miles incl 6 x 1000 intervals

Concentrated on pacing these properly, not like my last interval session :rolleyes:. Worked out much better, slowed slightly for the last three reps but not by much and always felt in control, not the throwing up into a ditch feeling of last week. Sundays race probably still in the legs which I'd say caused the slow up plus the grass track was slippy in spots which didn't help, thats my excuse anyway ;)
    Splits:
    3:34
    3:35
    3:34
    3:39
    3:37
    3:37

Thurs: 6.14 uneventful recovery miles

Fri: 18.0 miles incl 14 @ MP

Big session today, was worried about it all week but it went well. 2 miles warm up then picked up the pace. I was thinking sub 7:00 min miles. The first mile was 6:58 then without pushing at all I was doing 6:50-6:54 miles consistantly. Felt very comfortable until 10 miles when it started to hurt a little but I was still well under controll until about a mile and a half to go. Turned into a bit of a battle, 6:52 for the 13th mile, the last mile was all over the shop, pushing to get it done, fell back to 6:59 m/m. 12 more miles of that, ouch. Average pace for MP miles was 6:54 m/m, thats the monster out of the way

Just catching up on this now Ronnie. Brilliant result last sunday. Especially on such a tough course. You are absolutely flying now! It'll be a long time before I am racing beside you again.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just catching up on this now Ronnie. Brilliant result last sunday. Especially on such a tough course. You are absolutely flying now! It'll be a long time before I am racing beside you again.

Thanks menoscemo, strange feeling, very happy the with the race but my mind is nearly fully concentrating on Edinburgh, eyes on the prize and all that sh1te, thought I would be over the moon with a sub 40. I'd say when I look back after the 'big' one it will hit me how much I've improved. Savage running yourself Sunday, reading all the reports kinda wets the appetite..... hmmmm

Today: 12.21 miles easy @ 8:07 m/m

Started off ok, no stiffness from yesterday surpirsingly. Ran well within myself. Think I was a little dehydrated towards the end, plus with the legs starting to feel yesterdays session made the last 2 or so miles a little tough but nothing major

Today: 8.93 miles incl 5 x 600 intervals

Had a bad couple of days where I couldn't get out, playing catch up for the rest of the week now. 4 miles easy warm up down to newbridge track then into the intervals. Paced myself well and felt in control in each of them. I think its time to shorten my recovery between intervals. Mile and a half cool down to finish a decent day.
    Splits:
    2:06
    2:04
    2:05

Today: 14.06 miles @ 7:26m/m

Left it a little bit later today to get out, was thinking of getting a few runs in when the temps are up to get used to running in the heat, just in case the big day is warm. Felt good and strong from the start and held a good even pace ~7:35m/m the whole way around. Finished off with a few quicker 7:00-7:10 m/m to stretch the legs. Good strong enjoyable run.

Today: 6.3 miles recovery

Little weary today, hopefully not coming down with something, feeling a little off or something

This fitted in nicely with the P&D plan and only 30 mins from home so decided to give it a shot. The polar opposite of the Great Irish Run, low key race, only €10 to enter, oh and started on time :p. Near perfect conditions, the heat of the day easing but the sun still out although there was a bit of a wind.
    Down to the start, lined up at the front (must be getting confident). First few hundred meters over grass, then to a fast downhill. Stayed with the leading group of about 10 for most of the first k, could get used to that feeling ;). When the road levelled of the men were sorted out from the boys, I was one of the boys and got dropped fairly quick.Turned into the forest proper onto a trail, bit rough underfoot. For the next 2k I was running on my own which was tough.I got caught by 2 other lads and we stayed together till about 5k when one of them dropped off. I lost contact with my other mate after another k or so. I was a bit thick with myself after, while I was struggling I think if I dug in for a few mins I could have stayed with him, as I held about a 20m gap with him for the rest of the race but just couldn't close it. With 2k to go the coarse turned back onto the road were the wind was catching plus going uphill most of the time, I was pushing to close the gap but just didn't have the legs. We then turned into the grounds of Emo House for the last k, had a look behind, my position was safe, gave a little sprint on the uphill finish, showing off to the crowd he he, my HR maxed out doing this, at least I know I measured it right.
    8k in 29:24. by my maths 5:55 m/m pace (garmin was all over the place with the tree cover).
    Oh 10th place finish :D.
    Great way to speed an evening in a lovely part of the world, well done to Michaels ac for a great race.

• Advertisement

Sat: 17.5mile long @ 7:41m/m

Litlle stiff at start but eased nicely into the run and finished strong.

Sun: 6.16 uneventful recovery miles, little tired but not to bad.

Mon: Rest day

Tue: 10.3 miles incl 5 x 1200m intervals

Took the first 2 to get going, felt heavy legged. Had a bit of a battle with myself not to throw the towel in but carried on and got stronger and well slower :confused: each interval. Happy to get this done.
    Splits:
    4:19
    4:21
    4:23
    4:23
    4:24

Today:
    14 miles medium/long @ 7:20m/m

Usual first mile was a struggle, legs a little stiff and heavy, pushed to get my HR up to long run level and just found myself flying along at a nice lick. Felt strong on hills although last mile I started to feel the pace. Good day.
    Easy few days coming up until my last long long run on Sun, 22 miles then taper time :)

Thurs: 6.18 recovery miles

Not a nice run at all, the last 2 days effort after catching up on me. Legs very heavy and HR higher than normal. Just a bad day at the office.

Fri: 11.15 miles easy @ 8:08 m/m

Better today although still not 100%. Just took it at 'run all day' pace. Felt stronger as the miles ticked by. Enjoyable run once I got going, didn't even push when I was running against the wind, just went along in my own little world. More days like this please.....

Sat: 6.18 miles recovery

Nice easy run, helped clear the head after a heavy birthday party the night before:eek:. Legs feeling better

Today: 22.11 miles @ 7:41 m/m

Little slow out of the blocks today. Felt sluggish or something for about 8 or so miles. Even so the miles seemed to be passing fairly quickly and with the aid of a strong tailwind helped picked my pace up and found a nice rhythm and got stronger. Had a little smile to myself as I passed 16 miles and 1000 for the year, the little things that keep me happy. The last 5 miles were into a headwind, didn't bother me to much which is a good sigh that I'm going well. Taper time now, wait for the doubts and edginess to build in the next few weeks :rolleyes:

Well done on clearing the 1000 miles. I had been hoping your taper for Edinburgh would come a bit sooner :pac:

Thanks meno, ah you dont want me to make things easy for ye, race ye to the 2000 :p

Tue: 6 miles recovery & strides x 8 (total 7.17miles)

Nice trot around and the strides helped clear some of the cobwebs out of the legs. The only problem with tapering is more time for gardening etc.... :mad:

Wed: 12.2 miles easy @ 8:11 m/m

Took it nice and easy not paying much attention to my pace, just running comfortably. Ran the last few miles of the Kildare marathon course, it will be a very tough finish if the wind is like that on the day, right into my face with not a bit of shelter.

Today: 4 miles recovery & strides x 6 (total 4.7 miles)

Bit tired and heavy legged today, probably because I had no food this morning, just out of bed and out the door. Felt stronger the more strides I did at the end.

Decided to do the Leixlip 5k on sat, the program calls for a 8/10k race but dont really fancy travelling to Clonmel on Sun. Sure whats 3k between friends....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sweater

Ran the last few miles of the Kildare marathon course, it will be a very tough finish if the wind is like that on the day, right into my face with not a bit of shelter.

Yeah, you can say that again, we did the same yesterday. The Curragh is lovely, but very exposed. They're giving a little wind on the long range forecasts at the minute. Fingers crossed that subsides!

Sweater wrote: »
    Yeah, you can say that again, we did the same yesterday. The Curragh is lovely, but very exposed. They're giving a little wind on the long range forecasts at the minute. Fingers crossed that subsides!
    Was out around some of the route today, by god is all I can say, can handle most weather but the wind is a pain in the........

Fri: 5.1 recovery miles

Nice and handy and well uneventful

Turned up about an hour before the start and paid my dues and got changed. Out for a easy enough warm up, was getting worried, not feeling good at all, legs very heavy and even breaking into a heavy sweat. Did a few short sprints to try to get the legs going and then walked up to the start, not confident at all of a good day. Spotted a few boards tops at the start, I should have invested in one, they look well.
    It was a strange race from the start as I dont really remember many details of it. Set the watch to time and pace display and had 5:50 m/m pace in my head as that was my 5k training pace. Was pretty comfortable in the first 2k picking off places. Ended up running on my own for a while after this, aiming at catching a group 50m up the road. A Meath GAA jersey with them gave me the motivation to catch them. This is were my memory goes a little, must have being in the zone, or really hurting. Picked mst of that group off as they splintered in the last 2k. Ended up catching another group of 5/6 just at the entry to the track for a "sprint" finish. I've no kick at all, just struggled across the line in the middle of the group.

5Km in 18:02 @ 5:47m/m, av HR 195:eek: and max 209:confused:, hopefully just the garmin acting up, although there were no spikes in the graph.

Super race, organisation spot on, as for the cakes......

Today: 17.5 miles @ 7:43 m/m

What can I say, wind wind wind, hate it. Felt yesterdays race in my legs for first few miles, staring against the wind didn't help, although it seemed like it was in my face all day, just one of them days, would have rather being anywhere else but on the road. Pace and mood improved as I went and the last 2 miles were the fastest and most enjoyable of the day. Thats the last of the long runs done, just a mile repeat session on wed left, everything else is easy, recovery runs till the big day.

• Advertisement

Tue: 6.2 miles easy @ 8:00 m/m & strides x 8 (7.06 miles total)

A little bit of tightness in the hamstrings but after a few minutes I loosened up and was feeling strong, had to hold myself back at times but theres no point in pushing to hard at this stage.

Today: 3.96 miles recovery

This was faster than normal which is a good sign, will test the legs tomorrow with a mile repeat session then the real wind down starts.

Advertisement