Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Today: 8.42 miles incl 3 x 1 mile @ 5k pace

Last session of the program and a tester at that. 2 mile warm up out to the road where I do my tempo runs, didn't fancy the track today. First fast mile felt good and strong, wasn't screaming for the watch to beep to signal the end of the interval for a change. The second mile was a different story. mostly into the wind this time and man did it hurt. The last minute or so spent looking at the watch, big mistake, distance seemed to count down very slowly and started to lose control of my running form, oh the relief of that watch beeping. Caught my breath and my composure for a stronger and faster last mile, back the way i was feeling on the first one. Glad I hung in there for the second interval, proved to myself I could get my head right after a hiccup and push on again.
    Splits:
    5:45
    5:51
    5:46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's some run last saturday. You left plenty of sub 3 marathoners behind you so you should be bang on for Edinburgh.
    I'm gonna be using the 55-70mpw progarmme for Berlin myself. How have you foind it overall?

To be honest when I looked at the program I found it very daunting and wasn't sure if I would be able for the milage never mind the intensity of some of the sessions, but when you just take it week by week it not to bad. There where times when I was running on tired legs esp the weeks before the step back weeks, I assume its designed like that. The hardest sessions I found where the HM pace runs and the 2 longest MP runs, oh and a hungover interval session (not that you'd do that :P). Ran the recovery runs very slow, down around 9:30m/m at times, think that helped keep the legs going mostly niggle free.
    I think it has brought me on leaps and bounds, the results of my last few races were way ahead of what I thought I would be capable of, now its up to me to produce on the day. With your base from the ultra and now the speed work it will be a walk in the park for you. What time are you thinking for Berlin, or is it a state secret?

ronnie085 wrote: »
    What time are you thinking for Berlin, or is it a state secret?

I put myself down for 3:14:59 when I was applying for Berlin but now I'm thinking sub 3'10. would be lovely to get a london qualifying time as I have an address up the north.

You'll fly Edinburgh. This programme did not let me down when I was going for Dublin last year and I was only doing the 55 mpw programme.

Sat: 5.2 miles recovery & strides x 8 ( 6.1 miles total)

Nice handy recovery run, little slower than recovery runs lately, will put that down to no brekkie. Strides to finish off and stretch the legs followed by some foam rolling and stretching, ouch.

Sun: Kildare Half Marathon 13.12 miles in 1:33:04 @ 7:05 m/m

Turned up with intention of using it as a training run and it worked out better than expected. Cold and rain greated me when I arrivied at the curragh followed by a 30 min delay because of traffic problems, starting to think it was a mistake entering at all. Went for a little jog to get warm then the masses started to arrive at the start line, plus the weather improved, happy days. Got the shout for the start and off we went. Decided to run with just heart rate displayed on the watch to help keep my discipline and stop me racing, which worked pretty well, ended up with an average only a couple of beats higher than a normal long run. The race settled down after the first mile and found a nice rhythm picking off places slowly, enjoying feeling strong, knowing there was plenty more in the tank. After about 4 miles ended up running with a chap from Clare, chatting away until he dropped back on the drag into Kildare town. With the wind behind me from there I started moving faster, picking off places in through the field. Before I knew it I was in the last mile and decided to push it a bit to see how the legs were, a 6:24 mile without killing myself. Crossed the line feeling fresh.
    This was a great confidence booster for next week, if I am as strong everything should go to plan, fingers crossed. Nice to be able to enjoy the support on the way around the course, which there was plenty of, without being to shagged to notice which is the norm. Now if only the result sheet recognised me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

In case i don't get a chance before the weekend, best of luck on Sunday! Your improvements since January have been phenomenal. Looking forward to the race report.

Thanks menoscemo, count down is really on now :eek:

Mon: Rest

Tue: 6.8 miles at recovery pace

Legs felt good but HR was a little high, worrying about ever little thing now, aghhhhh taper madness has hit.

Today: 6.2 miles incl 2 @ MP

Nice easy 2 miles followed by 2 miles at MP 6:46,6:47 m/m. They felt very comfortable, doubt they will after 24.2 more miles ;), followed by 2 miles easy, felt good to stretch the legs.

3:10:09, mistakes made, blew up last 5, down but not out, where's my next beer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

10 secs off a london time. Still a great time and taking into account the conditions an excellent effort.

About time I done this report, the dust has settled and walking normally again.

Build up:

Used the P&D 55-70 mile plan, nearly to the letter apart from a couple of missed days and a sneaky 10 miler in Mallow. Had no real niggles or sickness and my race times improved no end so extremly happy how everything was going. Flew over to Edinburgh on the Friday and settled into my surroundings. First problem happened Friday evening, just felt drained, hit bed by half 8 and slept straight away, travelling maybe the cause, maybe not. Did the breakfast run in the morning, HR 7/8 beats high for the pace and coughing now, worried....
    That afternoon met up with a couple of friends and did a few tourist things, probably to much. Then back to the hotel to rest up, when that over tired feeling hit me again, really worried. Early night and slept well.

The day:

Woke up feeling much better. Shared a taxi to the start with a sub 2:40 marathoner out for a jog and a newbee, one of us calm the other two of us feeling nervous.
    Picked a nice spot at the start and when the gun went most of us seemed to be travlling at about the same speed. Joined a group of 4 locals going for sub 3 so decided to stick with them. They were going at about 6:40 pace saying we'll need plenty in hand when we make the turn around into the wind and a slightly more uphill last 9 miles, so while my HR was a couple of beats higher than I wanted the legs were going ok. We turned onto the seafront and one of them dropped off, having an off day. We went through the 5 mile mark at an average of 6:38m/m by the garmin and I was feeling strong at this point, the only worry was the HR still it was only ~4 BPM high, will be grand...
    The next 5 miles the confidence was growing, we were moving nicely through the field and I was feeling stronger and stronger, I think my 2 mates were too as they seemed to up the pace a notch, at this stage I decided to let them go and just run my own race. Passed through 10 miles in 66:44, nearly an even split from the first 5, so things looking good with plenty of time in hand. I was still passing people and going well, passing through half way in 1:27:49, still running even paced miles ~ 6:40.Just keep this going and I'll be home with time to spare.
    Between 16-19 miles I stll held a steady pace, but there were little signs about the 18th mile that the pace was starting to catch up with me. Quads seem to tighten up a little and the legs felt a bit heavy but seemed to come around after a few minutes, bad patch hopefully. Turned into the wind an done a 6:58 mile, expected that and I had plenty of time in the bank. Carrnage everywhere at this stage, people walking and stopping, just said to myself to not mind the watch at this stage and just bring it home.
    Then bang, all the power in my legs just seemed to go,going up hill into a headwind, no shelter, just one foot in front of another, keep it going... 8:30 mile, picked it up a little for an 8:03 mile and then bang again, turned a corner and the wind nearly threw me backwards. Going through hell, walked for a 100 yards, had a chat with myself, less than 4 to go, just beat 3:10, 9:56 mile:eek:. Next two miles shuffled at 9m/m pace and then pushed out an 8:36 mile. Checked my watch when I could see the finish, 3:08:xx, maybe, every last ounce of energy pushed with a minute to make it, crossed and nearly cried when I seen 3:10:09 (3:10:12 official).

Aftermath:
    Disappointed, yes, but when I look back I'm happy how I dug in when things got bad. Dont think I was 100% heathwise, chest infection now but I made mistakes myself. The pace I ran for the first 18 or so was a little to hot even with the wind. Did to much wandering around on saturday which didn't help. Maybe got a little over confidence but I learned to respect the distance now.
    Feel hungry to get back into it, I'll take a couple of easy weeks, then concentrate on enjoying the shorter stuff during the summer. Then I have a score to settle, DUBLIN 31 OCT 2011.............

• Advertisement

Unlucky Ronnie. Just sounds like it was a terrible day for it with the wind, coupled with bad health. What you gain going downwind is always less than what you lose going into the wind, especially when it's the last 9 miles of a marathon.

I have no doubt you'll hammer 3 hours in Dublin, hopefully the conditions are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hard luck Ronnie. I had an almost scarily identical experience in longford last year right down to the previous health issues (except the wind was in the early miles). Had a flashback reading your report actually!

I was definitely learned (a bit) from it and I got sub 3 the next time out. Im sure it will be tyhe same for you in Dublin. Good luck!

Right after a week of overeating rubbish and overdrinking beer time to get back on the horse

Today: 5.1 miles @ recovery pace

Legs felt fresh after the week off although the chest still not great but that will come around, just easy running for the next couple of weeks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hard luck Ronnie but well done too. Things didn't fall into place but that'll make you hungrier and will make it a lot sweeter next time. Enjoy the few easy weeks of running.

Today: 6.12 miles @ recovery pace

Nice easy run, HR still a few beats high but feeling better, might go mad tomorrow and step up to 'easy' pace :eek:

Today: 7.09 miles easy @ 7:50m/m

Decided to push the pace up a little to easy pace. Felt good to stretch the legs out a bit more. Legs felt very strong and had to pull myself back at times to stop going to hard. Still coughing up some gunk but a big improvement today. Things might be returning to normal :D

Fri: 5.13 miles @ recovery pace

Nice run on a lovely warm morning. Recovery pace getting quicker, getting back to normal.

Sat: 11.37 miles easy @ 7:40m/m

My legs feeling strong, had to hold myself back from running to fast. Was a nice feeling, chest nearly 100% better and HR nearly back right again, was getting paranoid about it for a while.

Sun: Rest day

Today: 9.0 miles easy @ 7:53 m/m

Feeling very fresh, holding myself back again. Going to take one more easy week then going to get into the joy of intervals, tempos and pick a few 5K and 10K races, looking forward to getting into it.

Tues: 9.1 miles easy @ 7:47 m/m

Feeling good today, apart from getting hit with hailstones, ouch. Took a hilly route and felt strong.

Today: 6.16 miles @ recovery pace

Boring boring boring, yawn. That is all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

Tues: 9.1 miles easy @ 7:47 m/m

Feeling good today, apart from getting hit with hailstones, ouch. Took a hilly route and felt strong.

Today: 6.16 miles @ recovery pace

Boring boring boring, yawn. That is all ;)

Hi Ronnie, 1st time reading this but think I'll follow it from now on. Have you any plans for the rest of the year?

Hi Ronnie, 1st time reading this but think I'll follow it from now on. Have you any plans for the rest of the year?
    Hey rebelrunner, the next big goal is get sub 3 hours in Dublin, will be starting a 12 week program in Aug. Just going to keep things ticking over until then with plenty of miles, some speedwork and a few 5k and 10k's. Yourself?

• Advertisement

Things being a bit hectic, not getting time to log the little bit I am doing.

Thurs: 9 miles easy @ 7:45m/m

Feels good to be able to build up the miles with a little bit of pace, HR gone the other way and stayed low today, thats better. (thats the last time I'll mention it)

Fri: 13.5 miles @ 7:39 m/m

Flying again today, nearly time to look at some races :D

Sat: Hangover

Sun: Worse hangover :eek: Stupid 2 day parties

Mon: 4 miles easy @ 7:49

Was pushed for time today so could only get 4 miles in although didn't feel like doing much more, very sluggish, weekend took its toll.

Today: 6.5 miles incl 6 x 400m, abandoned session :mad:

Planned to do 10 of these, just really didn't have the legs or motivation. Not like me at all as I'm normally very stubborn when it comes to sessions like that. Not very happy with myself at the moment. Think its time to pick a few races to concentrate the mind. Splits for what it worth, 79,78,81,81,81,82.

Going to do a tempo session on thurs and a long run on Sat with a couple of easy/recovery runs sandwiched inbetween

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

Hey rebelrunner, the next big goal is get sub 3 hours in Dublin, will be starting a 12 week program in Aug. Just going to keep things ticking over until then with plenty of miles, some speedwork and a few 5k and 10k's. Yourself?

Have been stuck to marathon bug the last 2 years. best was 3:19 in DCM last year. Did CCM this year, was hoping for an improvement to <3:10, but things didn't go to plan and picked up a niggle and finished 3:28. So back to the drawing board... might concentrate on shorter races for the rest of the year to improve speed and carry that into next year.

Tue evening: 4.2 miles easy @ 8:02 m/m

Feeling guilty about my abandoned session earlier so brought my gear into work and got a sneaky 4 miler around citywest done on my break, feel better now.

Today: 8.76 miles easy @ 7:52 m/m

Little stiff starting off after the bit of speedwork yesterday but that didn't take long to clear. Held a nice relaxed pace when I got into my rhythm, enjoying a couple of misty showers cooling me down. Enjoyed that after the blip yesterday.
    Now for tomorrow, 8ish miles with 5 @ tempo pace, no excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Good stuff Ronnie, you're back in the swing of it now. What tempo pace are you hitting?

cwgatling wrote: »
    Good stuff Ronnie, you're back in the swing of it now. What tempo pace are you hitting?

Will be aiming for 6:20 and see how it feels, not to sure where I am at the moment and confidence low, hopefully good one tomorrow will sort that. Just catching up with your log, your getting some savage sessions in, looks like your flying, when's the next race?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Deadly man, good luck with it. 5 @ 6:20 is no joke. No need for low confidence, you've got a cracking marathon time and a raft of great training under your belt. The perfect race is around the corner.
    I'm doing Dunshaughlin 10k next weekend. Don't think I've gotten any faster since Jan but I will go out at 6:00 and hold on for dear life.
    If yer on for a run in Dublin some time give me a shout.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Deadly man, good luck with it. 5 @ 6:20 is no joke. No need for low confidence, you've got a cracking marathon time and a raft of great training under your belt. The perfect race is around the corner.
    I'm doing Dunshaughlin 10k next weekend. Don't think I've gotten any faster since Jan but I will go out at 6:00 and hold on for dear life.
    If yer on for a run in Dublin some time give me a shout.

Yaeh will give you a shout a some stage, would be good to have a trot somewhere different.

Today: 8 miles with 4 @ tempo pace

I know, I know, I said 5 but that was a little optimistc. Still happy with today though, first mile felt comfortable, second mostly into the wind was tougher, felt ok for the third and most of the fourth. Decided to finish up with 4 as was losing my form towards the end of it. 6:20 was a little too fast, based it on my last 5km race, looks like I lost a little speed over the last month or so. Will do 5 miles next week, maybe slow it down a little, maybe ;).
    Splits: 6:18,6:23,6:18,6:17. Happy with my first bit of real work for a while.

Today: 6.2 recovery dreadmill miles

Aghhhhhh I feel so dirty, should have takin my wetting like a man, forgot how much i hate the treadmill:rolleyes:

Fri evening: 4.15 recovery miles

Another sneaky dinner break run, took it nice and easy, might try to do a couple of work runs a week, an easy way to do a few extra miles, could be the secret to success :P

• Advertisement

Today: 15.11 miles long @ 7:23m/m

Seem to be feeling stronger and stronger every day. Felt like I was floating along today, even the few hills didn't bother me. Longest run since Edinburgh, wish I felt like this on the day. Had a very good week this week after a slow start, 57 miles and the hunger for miles is back :D
    Just after entering 2 races, the South O' Hanlon 5k, using that as a sharpener for the Irish Runner 5 mile which I will hopefully give a good lash.

Plan for next week:
    Mon: 6 x 800 @5k pace
    Tue: 4 mile recovery am
    6 mile recovery pm
    Wed: 15 mile long
    Thurs: 4 mile recovery am
    6/8 mile easy pm
    Fri: 8/9 miles incl 5 @ tempo
    Sat/Sun: squeeze easy run in somewhere, away for weekend:)

Hope that looks ok, winging it at the moment

Advertisement