Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Spent the last hour reading the log Ronnie (slow day at work :p), good stuff in there, your pb's are almost identical to mine. Good to see your back on track. See you in Waterford in December if you decide to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Yeah hopefully Waterford will be a goer, need some sort of goal to keep me going, hopefully the weather is better than last year.

Wed: 3.96 miles very easy @ 8:20 m/m

Being ultra cautious at the moment, just a nice easy run.

Thurs: 6.17 miles easy @ 7:48m/m

Damp, dull, windy uneventful but enjoyable run. Felt stronger today and pace picked up as I went. Bit of a close call with a garda car, speeding down a country lane, on the phone, only spotted me at the last second with nowhere for me to go :mad:. Now to the gym to pump some iron :p

Fri: 6.5 miles @ recovery pace

Decided to head out to the curragh for a bit of easy cross country running on the grass. Went up a few sharpish hills which I didn't plan on but it was a enjoyable run all the same. Tired at the end, no breakfast didn't help.

Sat: 8.98 miles LSR:rolleyes: @ 7:54 m/m.

First few miles were a bit of a struggle but got stronger as I went.HR still very high especially when I hit any hills it seems to shoot up but the legs felt strong:confused:. Low milage week but at least I'm back at it, 6 days in a row, first time in a month.

Rest day on Sunday and an unplanned rest day yesterday after a long day in work the tele box was more appealing than a dark night in howling winds. Oh the guilt.

Tue: 8.63 miles easy @ 7:48m/m

Had to hold myself back today, legs were flying but HR still high. Windy out but not as bad as it looked. Still getteing a slight twinge from the injury every now and again, still not 100%, trying not to get stuck into any serious training but getting itchy feet, BE PATIENT :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Wed: 9.00 miles easy @ 7:52 m/m

What a difference a day makes,sun out, very little wind. Legs were a little heavy for first couple of miles but improved as usual. Felt a little tightness in a different part pf my 'bad' leg but I dont think it is much to worry about, paranoia.... not a bad day. Run and back to strength work tomorrow.

Thurs: 9:00 miles easy @ 7:54m/m

Lovely evening to get out. Nothing much to report, no niggle in thr leg at all, all good :D. Digging the garden count as strength work??? Maybe not, tomorrow I'll do some :rolleyes:

Fri: 6.17 miles @ recovery pace

Mad weather, sun, showers, wind, cloud, more showers. Slowed it down today, switched off and jogged. Starting to work out a 12 week plan to start on Monday for Waterford loosely based on the P&D HM plan. Will post it over the weekend to give everybody a laugh and hopefully tell me what looks wrong.

Sat:11.38 miles easy @ 7:40 m/m

Even pace throughout, felt strong, finished with 3 miles ~ 7:20 m/m just to test the legs.

Sun: Rest

Mon: 8.96 miles @ 8:07 m/m

Little bit of a struggle today, the body feeling a couple of late nights over the weekend.

Tue: 10.09 miles @ 7:30 m/m

One of the days, flying. Was holding myself back a fair bit. Seem to be getting back to normal although still have the injury in the back of my mind. Keeping the stretching up which seems to be helping. Niggles seem to be gone, he says touching wood.

• Advertisement

Wed: 6.17 miles @ recovery pace

nice handy one. Missed out on the planned double, didn't get a chance to sneak out of work, cheek of them. Will make in up on Fri or Sun.

Thurs: 9.19 miles incl 2 x 2 miles @ tempo

Stepped up the intensity for the first time in over a month. Didn't feel too bad. 2 mile warm up then into the tempo, aiming at 6:30 pace. First mile was comfortable, had to pull myself back at times, second mile still comfortable but felt like I was working a little hard. Jogged for a 5 min recovery and then back into it. Struggled to get the rhythm back and the final mile was a little bit more of a struggle than it should have being. 2 mile cool down to finish the day. Felt good to be doing some 'real' work although it will take a little while to get back to where I was.

Splits: 6:26,6:28,6:23,6:27.

Fri: 6.13 mikles @ recovery pace.

A little stiff for the first couple of miles after yesterdays session but felt good and not overly tired. Lovely morning for a run, very enjoyable.

Sat: 13.52 miles med/long @ 7:29m/m

Perfect morning for a run, sun but not to warm and very little wind. Started off as usual with a sluggish mile or two but was soon feeling strong. Took a hilly route and pushed going up them, no problem to the legs, lungs gasping at times. Finished off with 2 MP miles @ 6:50 m/m which felt comfortable. Felt good today and the milage is slowly building back up, things looking good. Hopefully will sneek in a few easy miles tomorrow but its being a good week even if I dont :)

Sun: splash around in the swiming pool.

Mon: 9.0 miles easy @ 7:48 m/m

Good and strong today, took it nice and steady.

Tue: 8.9 miles incl 5 x 800m intervals

A little nervous about doing these, first interval session in 2 months plus still not sure if the injury was 100% better but fancied taking a chance and test it. 2 mile warm up jog down to the track and then into them. First 2 felt comfortable, was being a little conservative with the pace. Worked a little harder with the third but seemed to get stronger for the last 2. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Few easy laps and then a 2 mile jog home, tired but happy. Felt a little niggle jogging home, hopefully its nothing :eek:.

Splits: 2:57,2:59,2:58,2:59,2:59.

Wed: AM: 3.90 miles @ recovery pace
    PM: 6.11 miles @ recovery pace

2 Good runs on a sunny July September day. Felt fresh which is a good sign after a fairly tough day yesterday. Still a little niggle in the hip, esp during the first run, improved for the second. Dont think it much to worry about, stretching seems to free it up, some ice just to be sure.

Thurs: 11.39 miles easy @ 7:43 m/m

One of them days, felt like Forrest Gump, could have just kept running. Feeling strong at the moment, comfortable at 7:40ish pace which is a good sign. Downgrading my niggle in my hip to a annoying twinge :p, with a recovery run tomorrow and more stretching should be 100% for a longer run on Saturday.

Fri: 6.14 miles @ recovery pace

Wet, wet, wet. Thought the white coats would be waiting for me when I got home, dont mind running int the rain but for a moment nearly chickened out and went for the dreadmill, the thoughts of that was worse than 6 miles in the downpour. Worst part was going out the door, after about half a mile really started to enjoy it, splashing about, smiling at the poor people stuck in traffic jams. Was quite disappointed when the rain stoped for the last mile. Home dripping wet but feeling refreshed

Sat: 14.0 miles med/long @ 7:19m/m

Flying today. The normal 2-3 miles of easying into a run didn't apply, first mile @ 7:43m/m then every mile around 7:25 pace which felt very comfortable. Still have a the feeling in the back of my mind that I'm going to break down on a run but tried to push on today. No problems, surprised how strong I felt.Finished with 2 MP miles again, 6:50 and 6:46 m/m's which felt easy, had to slow myself down from tempo pace on the last mile, things starting to look good.....

Sun: Few lengths of the pool, nothing stressful

Good week, 59 miles including a session, plenty more to come

Mon: 9.71 miles easy @ 8:07 incl strides x 8

Legs felt a little dead today so eased back the pace. Never felt comfortable for some reason although after a few strides I seemed to come back to life a little, just put it down as a bad day.

Tue: AM 10.1 miles easy @ 7:30 m/m

Lots better today, ran at a pace that felt comfortable, which ended up quicker than I would have thought. Happy how things are goining over the last week, feeling stronger everyday (well apart from yesterday:rolleyes:)

PM 4.75 milles easy @ 7:18 m/m

Sneaky dinner time run in work. Made a bit of a cock up with forgetting to reset the watch from this morning, although handy enough to work out the distance/pace. Was a little tight for time so pushed on a little, HR still in the easy zone, just about. The wind seems to be picking up, again :mad:. Fairly fresh when I finished, nearly 15 miles for the day at a decent pace :D

Wed: AM 6.14 miles @ recovery pace
    PM 3.88 miles @ recovery pace

Two nice comfortable runs, wind picking up again, getting used to that now.

Thurs: 8.59 miles incl 4 @ tempo

Not looking forward to this with the weather forecast for hurricanes and the likes, going to be fun. 2 miles warm up out to my normal flattish tempo route, not as windy as I expected which was a boost before I started. I was aiming at 6:25-6:30 pace so off I went. First mile was comfortable enough, found a nice rhythm fairly quickly. Second mile a little tougher, wind into my face for a fair bit. Still felt strong into the next mile. Pushed a little too hard for the last mile without realising until the last few hundred meters when it started to hurt. 2 and a half miles cool down. Happy with that session.
    Splits: 6:24, 6:28, 6:22, 6:20.

• Advertisement

Fri: 6.05 miles @ recovery pace

Out to the curragh plains for a recovery run on the grass. Little stiff starting off but the diffrent route made the few miles fly by.

Sat: 15.1 miles long @ 7:17m/m

Took a fairly hilly route but didn't really push much harder going uphil, even so my pace kept steady enough. The only problem today was sweat in the eyes, wasn't expecting the sun to come out toay. Finished with 2 MP miles @ 6:46, 6:46, felt really comfortable and HR about 8 BMP below what I'd expect for MP, good sign I think, if only Dublin was an extra couple of months away.
    Now to ruin my good work, indian and a few pints to try get over being 32 today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Good stuff Ronnie, you're back on the horse. Pity about that setback. You'll nail it in Dec.

Happy Birthday man, enjoy the night.

Weekend a bit of a disaster, a good blow out, hopefully the last till Waterford. Rest day planned for Sunday and missed Monday with bad hangover. Moved everything up one day so still should get close to planned mileage in.

Tue: 11.38 @ 7:44 m/m

Even had to battle to get out today, was still shattered after the weekend. Felt better when I did get going and held a reasonable pace fairly comfortably, speeding up as I went, felt like a new man when I finished up.

Wed: 8 miles including 5 x 1000m intervals

Seem to be struggling a little with intervals at the moment. They ended up a fair bot slower than the last time I did 1000s plus I slowed down alot during the session. Bit confusing because everything from easy to tempos and recovery runs are faster than before. Anyway

Splits:
    3:43
    3:41
    3:44
    3:48
    3:49

Thurs: AM 3.89 miles recovery
    PM 6.13 miles recovery

Morning run felt good and fresh, evening run was the opposite very tired after 3 miles. Took it nice and slow so should be ok for 2 x 2 mile tempo tomorrow. Oh and passed the 2000 miles this morning :D

Fri: 10.1 miles incl 2 x 2 miles @ tempo pace

Normally just do a recovery run on a Friday as I'm normally tired after the weeks work, bit different today. Went for a snooze when I get home for an hour and then dragged myself up, half looking forward to the run. Started off with 2 miles warm up then into the tempo miles. Felt fairly comfortable although there seems to be a little bit of zip missing in the legs, maybe down to the increased miles over the last few weeks after not much done before that. First 2 miles done within the target off 6:30 although had 6:25 in the back of my mind. Took five minutes of running easy and then into the next two tempo miles. Went for it again, pushing but not over the top, more comfortable if anything. For once I wasn't wishing the last mile to end. Finished off with 3 miles easy jog as a cool down to make 10 for the day.

Splits:
    6:27
    6:28
    6:22
    6:22

Think I'll enter the 5k next Sat, not aiming for anything, just to try get some sharpness back in the legs.

Sat: AM 6.14 miles @ recovery pace
    PM 4.78 miles @ recovery pace

Two very slow runs, legs felt ok, just ran by feel and was the slowest I've ran in a good while, but thats what recovery runs are for. 15 miler tomorrow, hopefully a bit quicker ;)

Sun: 15.62 miles long @ 7:46m/m

After feeling tired the last few day I decided on a no heroics long run, no MP miles, no pushing pace up hills, just jog at a comfortable pace and get the miles in. Took a few miles to get going, legs felt a little heavy but felt better as I went. From about 4 miles to 10 I was very comfortable, enjoying the sunshine. Became hard work after that, was feeling very hungry so I assume it was down to poor nutrition over the last few days. Think I have some kind of bug, stomach has being on the dodgy side for the last couple of days, so not eating as normal, explains the couple of bad training days. Anyway while the last 5 miles were tougher than they should have being I just kept plugging away without slowing down.
    The good news, after an hours kip, had a steak dinner, a full swissroll and a half a bag of monkey nuts..... think the appetite is back :eek:. An early night tonight should crown me.

Mon: 9.0 miles easy @ 7:52 m/m

Feeling alot better today, well apart from the wind nearly blowing me backwards at one stage. First few miles at around 8 m/m to test the legs then sped up until I hit the openness of the curragh with the wind into my face, the last thing I needed, although the last 3 miles just floated home with the wind at my back.

Tue: 7.9 miles incl 4 @ tempo

Stupid today, number one the head wasn't right, was thinking of leaving this session till tomorrow, feeling lazy using the wind as an excuse. HTFU says I to myself. 2 Mile warm up then into the tempo, first 3.5 miles were perfect, pace just right, HR bang on if not a beat or 2 low, then hit the wind with no shelter bang into my face. Stupidly I pushed trying to hold the pace, blew up with about .2 of a mile left. Lesson learned. Planned 5 miles tempo but abandoned after 4, could I have gone on, yes if I eased back for 30 sec to regroup, lost the battle with my head today and I'm not too happy about it.
    Splits:
    6:25
    6:38 :rolleyes:

Few easy days until 5k on Sat to have a chat with myself:)

Nothing to see here really

Wed: AM 6.17 miles recovery
    PM 3.88 miles recovery

Felt fresher than I have for a little while on a recovery run, didn't go hard enough yesterday ;).

Thurs: 8.22 miles easy @ 7:25 m/m

Really comfortable run, legs seem to be coming back after a tired week or so. Using this as a step back week, think I needed it.

Fri: 5.65 miles recovery incl strides x 5

Again felt fresh. Fastest recovery run in ages, had one fright, jumping trying to avoid a dog felt a twinge in my groin but dont think it anything to worry about.

So thats sort of a mini taper done before 5k tomorrow, dont have a clue what time to aim for so just going to run hard and see what happens, first race since July, little nervous for some reason.

First race in 3 months and i was surprised how nervous I was this morning travelling up. Not sure where I stood, long and easy runs were going well but I seemed to be struggling with the speed stuff. Decision made in the car, go with 5:45 m/m pace and see what happens, ambitious but what the hell.
    Diaster when I turned the watch on, low battery and then died, after charging it last night. Hope its not fatal. So not only am I not sure of what I'm capable of, I'm running 'blind' too, getting to hung up on gadgets I think.
    Lined up about 3 rows back and quickly found myself in a group of 4 others for the first k, which splinterd, 2 pulling ahead, the other 2 dropping off and me in the middle. Caught and passed one of the boys from the group in the second k, clearly he went off way to fast, really struggling, I was feeling comfortable at this stage. Just starting the second lap I was passed by a faster runner, will I, wont I, yes go with him, good decision. We shared the work until the end. We started lapping people after the 3k mark, had to slow a couple of times to pass them. Still feeling strong into the last lap, had no idea of time or pace, decided not to ask and just go with it. We picked the pace up in the last K and I just didn't have the speed in the legs to hold my new mate and lost him at the left turn to the finish. Just upped the pace as much as i could, turned the corner and seen the clock, 17:5x, dig deeper for the sub 18, it all seemed to be in slow motion, the clock and more importantly me. Just didn't have the kick to do it.

Official time: 5k in 18:02

Matched my PB from lexlip 5k in may. Was disappointed to get so close and not break 18 mins immediately after the race. But after settling down and thinking about it pretty happy with the performance. Felt good and strong all the way around. I'm normally in a heap at the end of a 5k but was grand today which shows there's more in the tank, plenty of room for improvement:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff ronnie, you're almost back to peak fitness now!

Advertisement