Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Miss a day updating and end up on page 6 :eek:.

Mon: 11.4 miles easy @ 7:36 m/m

Feeling alot better today. The legs felt fresh from the start for a change. I took a hilly route around the curragh and felt pretty strong. The last few longish runs I did I tired in the last few miles but today I felt strong to the end, on the way back .......

Tue: 7.01 miles incl 10 x 400 intervals w 200 recovery

.....Maybe not. A real mess of a session this, couldn't hold a consistant pace at all. Wasn't feeling bad or anything just felt like there was no pace in the legs at all. Feels like I've lost lots of fitness over the last month, just waiting on something to click, not happening at the moment but will keep plugging away.
    Splits: 87,84,85,84,85,85,86,86,87,88.
    One of the slowest 400 sessions I've done, depressing.

Wed: AM 6.16 miles recovery
    PM 3.40 miles recovery

Two nice handy recovery runs. Felt ok although had a little niggle in my right achillies for the first mile of both runs, dont think its anything to worry about. Still moving a little slow, maybe a tempo run tomorrow might get me going, thats the plan anyway.

Thurs: 9.33 miles incl 4 @ tempo

The way things were going over the last couple of weeks I was unsure what pace to aim for on the tempo. Decided on around 6:15, bit slower than HMP a month ago but not in that shape anymore. 2 mile warm up jog and then down to business. First mile was comfortable enough, although it took a little while to find a nice rhythm. Cruising along for the second and third mile feeling good, not as strong as I was but not bad. Started to feel the pace a little in the last mile and had to grit my teeth in the last half mile up a slight drag and against the wind. Finished up with a few miles jog to cool down, tired but not wrecked. Happy to get this done.

Splits: 6:13, 6:15, 6:13, 6:10.

Fri: 8.97 miles easy @ 7:50 m/m

Nice handy easy run. The first mile or 2 were a little tough as had a bit of stiffness in the quads but when that cleared I felt good. Lovely morning for a run. Plenty of stretching done when I got home, feeling a bit of tightness in different areas of the legs, could be due a massage.

Sat: 6.02 miles recovery pace

Feeling sore in both achillies yesterday evening and this morning, more of a stiffness than sore, but anyway decided against a long run after google gave me the lowdown on achillies injuries :eek: so just went out for a jog, staying near to home in case any real pain starts. Plenty of calf stretches and strength work on the menu, hopefully its nothing serious, just as I was getting into things :mad:

• Advertisement

Sun: 3.96 miles easy @ 7:25 m/m

Enjoyable run, felt very strong. Had to resist the temptation to go further as I still felt a pinch in the achillies, hopefully the niggle disappears sooner than later. 56 miles for the week, not bad with no long run included. Not going to race the 10k in Laois next week, to risky, just going to take next week as it comes, main priority is to be back at 100% for marathon training in a months time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have you tried a foam roller on the calves? or a sports massage should help the achilles out.

Have you tried a foam roller on the calves? or a sports massage should help the achilles out.

Thanks RQ, yeah doing some foam rolling on the calves, won't lie there was nearly tears on Sunday, found a big knot in one of the calves, freeing up now.

Mon: Running streak broken at 15 days. Bit of a 'mini crisis' at home, some things more important than running.

Tue: 11.41 miles easy @ 7:38m/m

Got out today for a few easy miles. Achillies a lot better today and felt pretty good most of the way around. Trotted around the curragh where it was a bit tough going against the wind which seems to be picking up again. Hopefully the little niggles are finished with and I can get some decent miles in, the last few weeks have being a little bit of a struggle.

Wed: 8.94 miles easy @ 7:33 m/m

Enjoyable trot around the curragh on a nice evening. Hit a few hills on the route and was feeling strong going up them, probably not the best idea with a dodgy achillies but it held out well, with only a slight niggle in the last mile. The only bit of drama was when a few army lads appeared out of nowhere in front of me, suited up guns and all, scared the bejaysus out of me for a second till I realised they were only playing their 'war games'. Not sure what I'm donig tomorrow, will see how my niggles are, half thinking of tempo or med/long easy run or just a normal easy run :confused:, not having a plan doesn't suit me, v boring I know...

• Advertisement

And bad luck strikes again, chest infection :mad::mad::mad:. Really frustrated at the moment, foam roll and stretching for the evening, hopefully just getting everything out of the way for a clear run at training for the rest of the year. Deserves one more :mad:

Sun: 10.1 miles easy @ 7:39 m/m

Ok lets try again, chest clearing up, achillies nearly better, new years training starts today. Went out the door planning on doing 4 miles to get the legs going and make sure everything is in working order, 4 turned into 6 and was enjoying it so much pushed on for the 10. Great to get out again and hopefully thats the end of the inconsistant training. Will just do easy miles this week with maybe a tempo thrown in towards the end of the week.

Bit of a catch up, being a busy week so didn't get much chance to update although building a good head of steam training.

Mon: 4.8 miles easy/steady @ 7:01 m/m

I was waiting around all morning for a delivery which I was promised first thing but didn't come till 10 mins before I had to go to work. So instead of losing out I snuck out for a dinner time run and upped the pace to get more distance. Felt surprisingly comfortable at the quicker pace.

Tue: 11.4 miles easy @ 7:37 m/m

The niggles in the legs that I had for the last few weeks seem to be clearing. Felt good for most of this run although was tired towards the end, lost some fitness I think.

Pm: 3.38 miles recovery

Sneaky dinnertime run from work. The first mile I felt very stiff but then when I loosened up and felt very comfortable although I was moving pretty slow. Felt great at the end of this trot.

Wed: 9.01 miles easy @ 7:44 m/m

Windy, windy day, didn't push to hard but was still moving well. At about 5 miles turned around and sailed home in double quick time, felt good to get the legs moving.

Thurs: 9.3 miles incl 4 @ tempo

The wind died down a fair bit so decided to give a tempo run a lash. 2 miles warm up and then into the tempo. Held back slighly for the first mile, unsure of what pace to go plus after all the easy miles the legs took a little while to wake up to the faster pace. The second mile was into the wind, so while slower I felt like I was moving well. Started to speed up then, feeling good with the last 2 miles the fastest by far, with the last mile into the wind, was very encouraging. 3 mile cool down jog to finish off.

Splits: 6:19,6:21,6:10,6:07.

Pm: 3.4 miles recovery

Nice relaxed recovery run, felt good.

Fri: 3.95 miles recovery

Another relaxed run, no ill effects from yesterday. Hopefully I'm set up for a good weekends running.

Sat: 14.08 miles med/long @ 7:07 m/m (incl 4 @ MP)

Perfect morning to get out, cold but little or no wind. Decided to take in some of the Kildare marathon course including the main hill on the course, which I felt strong going up. Had it on my mind to throw in a few MP miles, no better place to do it then on the roads I hopefully will be racing. Actually ran them a little fast, although one of the miles was a net downhill, but felt very comfortable and HR was low so good sign. 4 miles of easy running home, still at a decent pace (~7:15 or so). One of them good days, decent avg pace and felt like I could run all day.
    MP splits: 6:43,6:36,6:36,6:45.

Sun: 10.6 miles easy, boring threadmill miles @ 7:17 m/m

After sitting around all morning watching the tennis got lazy and didn't fancy getting wet so had a bright idea of going to the gym to do a few miles on the threadmill, regretted this after 5 minutes but needed to do 10.x miles to get a 70 mile week. So target was 17k, no problem for the legs, big problem for the head, big battle not to hop off after the first few k but the 70 mile target kept me going, ended up pushing the pace a little to just get it over and done with. Rain doesn't bother me normally and it wont be stopping me getting out again instead of getting on that time machine that makes 1 minute feel like 10. Anyway 7 days done and 70 miles for the week makes me happy :D

Mon: AM 3.85 miles recovery
    PM 6.2 miles recovery

Two nice relaxed runs, although the pace of my recovery runs seems to be rising again, good sign. Feeling good at the moment.

Tue: 12.25 miles easy @ 7:35 m/m

Legs felt very good today, took a hilly enough route but just ran well within myself with sub 8 min pace feeling very easy. Things are starting to shape up nicely at the moment. A trip to the physio to iron out a few knots, nothing to bad. 240 miles for January, not bad considering I missed a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Mon: AM 3.85 miles recovery
    PM 6.2 miles recovery

Two nice relaxed runs, although the pace of my recovery runs seems to be rising again, good sign. Feeling good at the moment.

what pace do you do your recovery at ronnie? and do you doubles because of lack of time or is it part of the plan?

what pace do you do your recovery at ronnie? and do you doubles because of lack of time or is it part of the plan?
    I dont normally record recovery pace as I just run them by heart rate and I dont want to be aiming at a pace in these runs in case I end up pushing harder than I should, especially when I'm tired and travelling slower than usual. Generally they end up anywhere between 8:45 and 9:30 on a very slow day. As for the doubles, I just find it easier to add a few extra miles that way without being to hard on the legs, 10 miles is to long for a recovery run but splitting it into 2 runs I find helps with recovery. Plus its nce to sneak out of work for a half hour or so:D

9.48 miles easy @ 7:39m/m (incl strides x 5)

Legs felt a little heavy today, especially for the first couple of miles but soon got into the run. Nice evening for a run, a little cold though which I'd say is the reason for the sluggish start. The visit to the physio seemed to have worked wonders as the little niggles I had are all but gone. Threw in a few strides at the end to try wake the legs up, hopefully they helped.

• Advertisement

Thurs: 10.11 miles incl 4 x tempo miles

Motivation when I got home was really low, dont like the cold, feet up in a cosy house seemed more appealing. Made a deal with myself, go out do a mile or 2 to keep the streak going and see how I felt then( knowing in the back of my mind I'd keep going;)). So after 2 miles I just picked the pace up for a tempo run and just went with it. Struggled for the first mile and a half to hold a steady pace and ended with splits a little slow. Ran stronger after that and was flying for the last mile, with a split way faster than I expected. Enjoying myself at this stage and tagged on another 4 easy miles, really happy I forced myself out the door.

Splits: 6:17, 6:21, 6:13, 6:03:confused:.

Fri: 3.85 miles recovery

I'll call this my rest day of the week, handy lunchtime run, legs a little tired but thats what recovery runs are for. Roll on the weekend

Sat: 16.1 miles long (progression) @7:17m/m

Decided to try one of these progression runs and enjoyed it, if thats the word. Started off at 8m/m pace and increased the pace by 10 seconds every 2 miles with the last 2 finishing up @ MP. The biggest struggle until I got down around 7:20 pace was slowing down, with a few miles ending up faster than planned. Even down at the business end around 7 m/m pace I felt good. Finished up with 2 miles @ 6:42 pace feeling strong. Good run and felt like there was more in the legs, things going well.

Sun: Chinese take away revenge (Rest Day)

End of streak due to not feeling well all day, last nights Chinese getting the blame:mad:

63 miles for the week

Mon:5.1 miles easy @ 7:40 m/m
    5.1 miles hop/ stumble, limp home @ 9:30m/m

First half or this run felt great, planned to do 14 miles, didn't work out. Keeping an eye on a car coming towards me on a narrow road I ended up in a pothole, feeling a twinge in my lower back. Carried on for another couple of minutes with the pain getting worse so stopped to stretch it out. This made things worse and seized up altogether, so turned around and hopped home. So after being beaten up by the physio, she said glutes and back muscles really tight so didn't take much to cause damage. So plenty of stretching and more torcherous visits to the physio, hopefully will be back on my feet in no time. Seems to be one problem after another at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Similar thing happened me a few weeks back: lifted my arm to look at the watch and my back was killing me for a week after. Tennis ball on the floor is great for the glutes.

Quick update, no running since last post, going slowly mad. Body was ( and still is) in a bit of a mess. SI joint is 'locked' which is causing the pain,improving but not 100% , pelvis was 'twisted', nearly sorted, nearly every muscle in my back was knotted up, sorted, and the old piriformis injury tightened up again, nearly sorted, all connected to each other. So after a couple of weeks of hopping, painfull dry needle treatments, painful massages, streching, rolling and sitting on tennis balls ( thanks cwgatling) the pain is starting to ease. 12 week plan for Kildare due to start on Monday, we'll see. Need to do lots of work on my core as its very weak and also more flexability work, not just concentrating on my legs. Hopefully will get a short easy run in over the weekend, with the blessing of the physio ( seeing more of her than the OH at the moment, she's getting worried:p) and take it from there. All because I ignored the little signs an injury was coming on and not doing any supplementary/ maintenance work, more painful lessons learned.

Sat:1 mile abandoned

After a couple of minutes I felt pain coming on in my back again. said I'd give it a mile, maybe it could loosen up but got steadly worse and had a nice mile walk home before I did any more damage.

Mon: 3.92 miles recovery

The mile on saturday might have freed thing up a little as I was pain free all day yesterday so decided to give it another shot. Still not 100%, slight niggle in the back but didn't get ant worse as I went. Everthing else felt good, comeback might be on.... Physio this afternoon hopefully will clear the last of the kinks.

Quick update, didn't get much of a chance during the week, being getting a few miles in, following the P & D program but chopping a mile or 2 here and there, oh and going pretty slow.
    Tue: 7.3 miles easy @ 8:25 m/m
    Wed: 11.4 miles easy @ 8:19 m/m
    Thurs: 6.1 miles recovery
    Fri: 10.51 miles easy @ 7:56 m/m

The first few days were very tough going, legs were very heavy and didn't seem to want to get going at all. Thursdays recovery run was hell, was struggling to lift my legs at all. Went out this morning with confidence at an all time low, decided to do a 4 mile loop near home so I was never to far away. First 3 miles were a struggle again and was just about to give up when I just clicked and seemed to be running a more freely. Another lap and a 2 mile loop tagged to finish the day with a decent total. Recovery tomorrow and will have a look at doing a long run on Sunday.
    Still not running completely pain free but getting there and it doesn't get worse as I go.Physio doing a great job keeping me on the road. Doing half an hour of stretching everyday and going to add in core work everyday from tomorrow. Will just keep plugging away and hopefully things will be spot on in 11 weeks and 2 days :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

my flexibility was and still is pretty poor, but getting better,. i went to a school of yoga place, they do all sorts of yoga, pilates and other types of classes. anyway they have this flexibilty/core strength for men classes that they run once a week. if you can find classes that do it up where you live id highly recommend it, the work thats done on the back is fantastic and the legs and shoulders, i can actually feel the spine stretching out during the class.

• Advertisement

my flexibility was and still is pretty poor, but getting better,. i went to a school of yoga place, they do all sorts of yoga, pilates and other types of classes. anyway they have this flexibilty/core strength for men classes that they run once a week. if you can find classes that do it up where you live id highly recommend it, the work thats done on the back is fantastic and the legs and shoulders, i can actually feel the spine stretching out during the class.

Thanks bart, yeah I'm booked into a pilates class next week, hopefully it helps, something different anyway, plus the promise of some nimble young ladies in the class sold me :pac:

Advertisement