Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mymectomy surgery to have fibroids removed

Options
  • 16-01-2011 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there,
    Does anyone have any advise for me? Having failed at conceiving after 2 yrs, it has been discovered that I have two fibroids in my uterus which I am due to have removed by mymectomy surgery in Galway U.H on24th Febr. My surgeon is Dr. Declan Egan from the Galway fertility clinic, has anyone had the same or simliar surgery with him? Im a private patient but he only works in the public hosp. so I've had to wait since October. Ive discoverd that in S. Africa it is commonplace to have the stomach muscle teased apart in order to access the area rather than cut the muscle. This means it can knit back and heal itself rather than being left with a flabby dead muscle. Has anyone heard of this? And finally I was advised to insist on soluble stitches it''ll be the same size scar as a c setcion 7 inches i think so does anyone know about that? The less poking and prodding to be done the better!!! Just trying to get as much info on the op. as possible. Than you so so much in adavance.x.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Just to say I'd like to hear any advice too as there is talk of me having one too. Dependent on latest blood tests
    Found this website which has some good information
    http://www.myomectomy.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 RozzerMoo

cheers for that website. I just want to be as informed about it as possible

Yep me too. Was at hospital today and looks like I'm defo having operation.

Where are you having it done? Mine is in galway Univ. hospital. I was in such shock when he told me that i didn't get to ask all the necessary questions. Ive heard that in S. Africa they always tease the stomach muscle apart instead of cutting it which is the norm over here. the difference is thta when it's cut, it's dead for ever andall the press ups in the world won't change that flab, by teasing the muscle apart it can knit itself back and heal eventually. Jsut wondering if your surgeon gave you some info on the approach he/she was taking with you. Mine is a myomectomy and so it will have ot be an abdominal removal, bikini line cut. Have you many fibroids, have you had kids already? thanks, great to have someone else to talk to about it.

I'm having it done in the Coombe, and have another appointment on Thursday to discuss it. My understanding is that it will be done transvaginally using laser tools to remove the fibroid. I think it's only one, but it could also be a cluster. We have no children yet, we've been trying for 2.5 years. Last year we had 3 rounds of IUI, the last one resulted in pregnancy, which we lost at about 5 weeks, then a D&C, followed by another pregnancy, natural this time, which again we lost very early. Due to bloods not being right I have another D&C in December and bloods still aren't right and there is still something there, which they assume is a fibroid, hence the op.
    We're hoping that once the fibroid is removed all our issues will be too. The type of fibroid I have seems, according to the net anyway, to reduce fertility by 70% and removal of it increases it by 70% so here's hoping.
    Still it is a scary proposition. I would check can yours not be done transvaginally, as then I think the only long lasting issue is that any births will have to be c section.

• Advertisement

Wow, you've had your fair share already and as you say though hopefully this will be the last hurdle and you can finally enjoy a healthy pregnacy. If I could get the feckin fecker to phone me back Id be able to disucss this other approach with him. It's impossible to catchhim and he won't get back to me. All I can do is keep trying I guess. Very frustrating. seems unusal that thye gave you othe treatment wtout exploring the option of fibroids, it may have resulted in successful pregnancy without having that other treatment.. Well sure keep me posted on how you get on. When is the operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Hi had that operation done a few years ago in the Bons in Galway i wasnt under Dr Egan. Surgery lasted a few hours, I had the normal stitches very little scaring, it was approximately 7 to 8 inches long. I had a few more fibroids removed then the op. I was quiet sore for a couple of days afterwards. I was in for about 5 days. Anyhow i was back to normal within about 2 weeks after the surgery. Hope it all goes well for both of you.

Wow, that's so good to hear from someone who has been through it.. Thanks a million. So you mind me asking if you were trying for kids at the tie and if so have you been successful since? Just asking as we were told that it should result in pregnancy within months after the surgery. Thanks a mill for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

RozzerMoo wrote: »
    Wow, that's so good to hear from someone who has been through it.. Thanks a million. So you mind me asking if you were trying for kids at the tie and if so have you been successful since? Just asking as we were told that it should result in pregnancy within months after the surgery. Thanks a mill for your reply.

No due to other complications with endo that probably wont happen for me. The Doctor i went to for the ops has now retired but i have been told that Dr Egan is one of the best. I do know people who have had kids after having the op.

Just back from meeting with consultant and I am having operation on Tuesday 2nd Feb. This will be tranvaginal except for an extra camera going in through my belly button just for additional visability. So it should, barring complications be only 1 night in the hospital.
    Hopefully that will be that then.
    The consultant (Dr. Nugent) asked the same thing about should we not have seen the fibroid before, but I have to say it wasn't. However there seems to be some fibroids that grow and become obvious when you get pregnant, feeding on the increased blood flow to the area. So it could have been there, causing issues, but not visable. Now it is so it can be removed.
    So hopeful that then all my problems will be sorted and we can finally get our darling and much longed for baby :-)
    When are you due your op?
    JillyQ thanks for the info great to know other peoples experiences.

• Advertisement

I'm going in Tues 22nd Febr. and operation is WEdnesday 23rd of Febr. I saw him back in October so it had been a long wait. I'm aprivate patient but he only operates in the public hospital one day a week so apparentyl I am lucky to be seen so quickly. Wonder why I'm not having the transvaginal like you, seems so much less invasive and quicker recovery? Keep me posted how you go. Fingers and toes crossed for you ; )

Hi there Barbiegirl,
    Just wondering how your operation went and what was your experience like in the Coombe? /my operation was cancelled by the HSE. Im private but concultant only work in public hospital so I'm goign to professor Michael Turner in the combe on the 3rd of March to see if he can take me instead. Very interested to know how got on. Hope you are recovering well. x.

I'm recovering fine, but turned out not to be a fibroid just some very stubborn tissue that was refusing to budge. A bit sore but nothing Nurofen Plus can't sort.
    I have found the Coombe to be fantastic and couldn't recommend them highly enough. Everyone from Ann who manages the day ward, to Dr Nugent who I am attending and all the docs, nurses, nurses assistants, I've met are brilliant, very professional and friendly. In fact everyone in the day ward remembered me , as it's their third time to see me since August. Every appointment has been speedy and brought me a step closer to where I want to be.
    The hospital itself I have found to be very clean. It's not a hotel but I am more comfortable sleeping on their sheets than I have been in some hotels.
    I really hope you get your operation as quickly as possible so you too can move on. I have to see Dr Nugent again in 2 weeks to see if everything has gone. So fingers crossed.

Advertisement