Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mid galway water scheme

Options
  • 16-01-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,245 ✭✭✭✭

what a joke this situation is . we have been on a boil water notice since November 2009!!!! 14 months. So basically we have been living in the 3rd World for 14 months with unsanitary water unfit for human consumption. At least we can flush toilets with it and have showers i suppose when its not turned off. Alas this morning turned the cold tap to find no water. Nothing on council website. No notice in the letter box. NOTHING. Pisses rain for 2 days and then the water is turned off. I guarantee when it comes back it will be the yellow/green colour it always is after heavy rain as flood water must continue to get into the system. Meter put in few months back ..... they will be getting no money from me.
    Rant over:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ryanosserus

Prior to moving to Galway we had been on a private water scheme,we had no problems or anything to moan about. We moved house and Mid Galway Water become our water provider, our neighbour made us a cup of tea whilst we unpacked, it tasted like brown piss, all the time I was drinking it as I didn't want to offend our new neighbour I'm wondering how can you make tea taste that rank. I later discovered it was the water and not our kind neighbour's tea making skills. Been boiling water for over a year now, the joke is Ireland raises millions to help 3rd world countries with poor quaility water, they should look closer to home. Wouldn't it be lovely to have water from the tap that is clear, drinkable and doesn't reek of chlorine. We might be back on mains water today, it would be nice to have a wash at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Now is your chance when the canvassers start calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Couldn't agree more with sentiments above. Its not so much the water going out (although that is bad) but it is the fact that someone could not get a message onto at least the council website. Surely in this age of the internet a council worker wouldn't of even had to get out of their bed to post a message and at least the reason behind the outage would be known rather than just speculation etc.

I have just noticed they have posted the following, so hopefully will be sorted but still bringing 100 litres of water home from work tonight :mad:

Mid Galway Regional Water Supply Scheme Monday 17th Jan 2011 @ 9.30a.m.
    A major burst in the rising main between the Farmhill and Glenaveel Reservoirs was discovered yesterday (Sunday 16th Jan 2011) and repairs to restore supply are expected to take most of today Monday. Supply shoud be restored to all affected areas some time tonight. Areas affected :
    Monivea, Newcastle, Gurteen, Colemanstown, Attymon, Kiltullagh, Carrabane, Abbert
    The Council apologises for the inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,245 ✭✭✭✭km79

i rang them at 1015am this morning as there was nothing on their website. that notcie appeared around noon. Certainly not 930 am as they are suggesting. Hopefully it will be sorted this evening. The worsat thing is that all the rain that fell over the weekend has been lost.

Once the water is sorted, all I'll have to moan about is the speed and quality of my boardband. A lowly 1meg with drop out. In a previous life I had another 7, the loss of 7 meg to live in a rural village seems a high price to pay at times.

Heard the announcement on the radio about the burst water main. The bit that made me chuckle was the statement "no water until futher notice".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

what about if this metering and water charges are introduced, who should have to pay for this service and terrible quality, pumped with chlorine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

GY A1 wrote: »
    what about if this metering and water charges are introduced, who should have to pay for this service and terrible quality, pumped with chlorine

The water charges are important to finance the replacement of pipes in the leaking greater Dublin area water supply.:rolleyes:
    It would be extremely optomistic to think the stealth tax money will benifit us in any way.

day 3.....:mad:

Well the water did'nt return last night, I didn't expect it to, they tell you want to hear; not the truth. Had all this bull**** last January 2010 when we returned from visiting relatives in UK, the water came back on 72 hrs later than stated.

Spoke to Mid Galway Water, the burst pipe has been fixed, the system is up and running its just a case of removing the air in the system. Apparently should have water in a couple of hours.

• Advertisement

they also said it would be back last night. ill be amazed if its back by lunch!!!! although maybe they take a late lunch

still nothing:mad: and by looks of latest update council are as expected passing the buck

Want's the betting it will be Thursday before the water is back. The service is so second rate.

Mine started to trickle back around lunchtime. Have good pressure now (has filled attic cold water tank) but the supply is full of air and stuttering a lot when it comes out the cold tap (m between Monivea and Newcastle). Now just if they could get me a supply that is fit for consumption :rolleyes:.

Think I heard that there was another leak around Ryehill which had limited supply in various areas.

Hope everyone gets a good supply soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Mine started to trickle back around lunchtime. Have good pressure now (has filled attic cold water tank) but the supply is full of air and stuttering a lot when it comes out the cold tap (m between Monivea and Newcastle). Now just if they could get me a supply that is fit for consumption :rolleyes:.

Think I heard that there was another leak around Ryehill which had limited supply in various areas.

Hope everyone gets a good supply soon.

Still out in Esker. Your post has given me some hope though. A neighbour had muttered something about it being back on Friday earlier on.... oh dear.

spoke too fcukin soon. Water just gone again. At least I had enough to fill the tanks. Bet you they have switched it off to fill reservoir/build pressure/transport it to Dublin

Mid Galway Regional Water Supply Scheme Tuesday 18th Jan 2011 @ 5pm.
    Water has been switched back on to all areas supplied by Mid Galway Water Supply Scheme. Council staff are currently freeing all air locks on the system and the Council advises all group schemes supplied by the scheme to carry out similar maintenance works to ensure supply is returned to all consumers

Has to be the best bit of buck-pasing I have seen in a long time

Water... It came on in the night, hope it's still there when I get home.

On the stroke of midnight I heard all the pipes gurgling and this morning I have full pressure again. Let this be the end of it......please.

not a drop:(

• Advertisement

The water tank started filling at 4 0'clock this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FriarTuck75

We still didn't have a drop of water in the Carrabane area this morning...I heard before that we are one of the last villages on our scheme, so we are always the last to get it when it comes back.

I feel everyones pain, this is sickening....It would be enough to drive you over the edge, false promises on the council site, false assurance in ones own mind that now the bad frost seems to be gone, we'd be ok.....Arrgggghhh.

Also the boil water notice is unbelievable, as somebody said its like being in a third world country.

....It would be enough to drive you over the edge, false promises on the council site, false assurance in ones own mind that now the bad frost seems to be gone, we'd be ok......

You should have been driving from Athenry to Mayo this morning, frost seems to have returned with an absolute vengance this morning around Annagh Cross area. Made for some very 'interesting' driving I can tell you. Added about 40 minutes to my usual journey time.

But at least I came to work smelling relatively fresh this morning :D

the council have now "washed" their hands off us (excuse the pun:D)
    i was told this morning it was out of their hands and that the parish priest was going around with two lads to free the air locks. i was told similar last january when we were wothout water for 3 weeks from xmas eve on. I guess i should pay my water rates to the priest so and not the council when introduced:P

km79 wrote: »
    i was told this morning it was out of their hands and that the parish priest was going around with two lads to free the air locks. i was told similar last january when we were wothout water for 3 weeks from xmas eve on. I guess i should pay my water rates to the priest so and not the council when introduced:P

Well you should be glad. I only have regular water in my taps, you appear to have holy water. Or is it that the priest is having to bless it because God help you if you drink it.....

km79 wrote: »

That is the most bizzare thing I've ever heard. It'll be brilliant if he is wearing his frock, perhaps he was a plumber before answering God's call.

Hope you get your water soon.

came back after 3pm. low pressure though so attic tank not filling and im reluctant to use dishwasher etc yet. at least i can flush now though:D

just had a lovely shower:)

Advertisement