Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reports That An Everton Fan Has Been Killed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

They did announce part of anfield road was closed during the game,gave it over the PA several times.
    thought at the time it was a football related incident myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Horrible news. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

FFS, its a game at the end of the day.

Paully D wrote: »

rough..:(

i thought that derby was one of the more civilised derby's in the league in terms of rivalry between fans but sure i suppose there is bad eggs everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I hope it's not true. If it is, God bless him and his family and I hope whoever did it is brought to justice. Sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Terrible news if indeed fact and I would hope it doesn't kickstart a back and forth argument here about whose fans are better or worse:(

Should never happen over what is essentially just a blooming game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Also via Twitter:
    RT @Ian_LFC: Just been on Radio Merseyside that police report no injuries and no arrests after fight in King Harry pub.

Hopefully it's just a bad rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

theres no need for any of that ****e anymore in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Terrible news if true. It's just a game at the end of the day. Hindsight seriously needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Radio Merseyside are reporting that there is no truth in the rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nothing on sky news n they would be first onto something like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A drunken thug who stabs someone isn't a fan anyway. Scum attack if you ask me. Luckily doesn't look like it's true anyway.

My opinion is that anyone who would go that far know f*ck all about the game and should stay in their sewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Also via Twitter:

Hopefully it's just a bad rumour.

Please god, I checked out the Merseyside Police site and there is no mention of anything in the latest news section......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hopefully just a rumour. Nothing confirmed yet.

TonyBarretTimes
    Just spoke to police and they confirmed there have been no stabbings.1 minute ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I hate twitter!!

Good that it doesn't seem to be true

Various reports playing down the supposed incident. Good news then.... It seems anyway.

It's amazing to see how people are so much concerned with negative news rather than positive news.
    The "Everton fan stabbed before/after match" rumour took off like wildfire on Twitter, despite the lack of any sources.
    Someone quotes an actual reliable source claiming there is no truth in the rumour and feck all people re-tweet it.

It's amazing to see how people are so much concerned with negative news rather than positive news.
    The "Everton fan stabbed before/after match" rumour took off like wildfire on Twitter, despite the lack of any sources.
    Someone quotes an actual reliable source claiming there is no truth in the rumour and feck all people re-tweet it.

So if a fan was killed we should just ignore it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Obviously it would be great news if it dodn't happen.
    does anyone know what the police incident was on the Anfield Road?

Please god, I checked out the Merseyside Police site and there is no mention of anything in the latest news section......

Coz it was broadcast over the airwaves rather than in text format!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it's safe to dismiss it. There would be a report from somewhere by now if something had happened.

Many of those Twitter posters would do well to wait and see if something is confirmed before spouting off the embarrassing rubbish they have been coming out with.

It seems there was an incident but it was just a fisticuffs and no knives involved.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That_Guy wrote: »

of course not, but there were no 'reports' of a fan being killed, just randomers posting it on twitter, no report on any news site, even dodgy sites.

That_Guy wrote: »

I didn't say that at all, or even hint at it :confused:

I'm just observing that the un-sourced rumour that someone was stabbed was re-tweeted thousands of times.
    Respected Scouse journalist Tony Barrett and Radio Merseyside have both said there is no truth in the rumour and yet feck all people have re-tweeted that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I didn't say that at all, or even hint at it :confused:

I'm just observing that the un-sourced rumour that someone was stabbed was re-tweeted thousands of times.
    Respected Scouse journalist Tony Barrett and Radio Merseyside have both said there is no truth in the rumour and yet feck all people have re-tweeted that information.

Respected ?

He got taken for a mug with Kenny Huang.

Respected ?

He got taken for a mug with Kenny Huang.

One story. Most of the time his sources are very accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Nobody was killed

it happened 2 years ago
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/01/13/everton-fan-killed-and-son-left-fighting-for-life-while-en-route-to-match-115875-21037212/

Some dope was probably googling to find out the score and ended up on this page

• Advertisement

One story. Most of the time his sources are very accurate.

Nonsense.

A "respected journalist" would have checked the veracity of his sources. Anyone that had access to google knew the Huang thing was a massive joke.

But you're right on the Twitter thing, nobody should bother with it. It's full of ****.

Nobody was killed

it happened 2 years ago
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/01/13/everton-fan-killed-and-son-left-fighting-for-life-while-en-route-to-match-115875-21037212/

Some dope was probably googling to find out the score and ended up on this page

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone

The dangers of twitter illustrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

jump%20to%20conclusions%20mat%202.jpg

M5 wrote: »
    The dangers of twitter illustrated

Indeed.
    Noticed how many differing stories were (still are) doing the rounds.
    One claiming it was two Everton fans stabbed, one dead the other fighting for his life.
    An other claiming that following the initial stabbing there was a Liverpool fan killed in Stanley Park in retaliation.

Thank God it seems nothing of note actually happened.

Thank God it seems nothing of not actually happened.

Or you can't read between the lines ?

• Advertisement

Indeed.
    Noticed how many differing stories were (still are) doing the rounds.
    One claiming it was two Everton fans stabbed, one dead the other fighting for his life.
    An other claiming that following the initial stabbing there was a Liverpool fan killed in Stanley Park in retaliation.

Thank God it seems nothing of not actually happened.

yeah, its mental

to be fair bigger stories than this one have broken on twitter

Merseyside Police have said there were no injuries.
    There's no lines to read in between. As I said, nothing of note seems to have happened. Maybe a very minor scuffle in a pub that was then closed in case further trouble occured. I'd hardly call that newsworthy or of note.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement