Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

custom rifle

Options
  • 16-01-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

just wondering if you buy a custom built once off rifle what make do you licence it under?tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

whatever the action is and cal ie rem 700 whatever cal ,sako,tika,stolle,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

is there any part of customizing a factory rifle that is illegal?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

None.

Has something given you concern?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

barrel lengths cant be cut below 20" isnt it?certain types of stock cant be used?I tought you couldnt get a folding stock with pistol grip or is that just shot guns?i was thinking of getting my cz cut to down but was told on here its a sort of grey area you can but a 16" barreled cz but not cut an 20" down to 16".

Ezridax wrote: »
    None.

Has something given you concern?

not really..... i am getting a rifle built and the only thing im keeping is the acton and was just thinkin its not the same rifle i licenced and i was just curious as to what the powers to be{ie the guards} have to say on the matter.so when you licence a rifle your really only licencing the action?tommy

• Advertisement

As meathshooter1 said you simply name it after the action and caliber. For examp if you were to get a full custom build, ie from scratch, using a Grizzly Stolle action in 7WSM then it would be licenced as a Grizzly stolle, 7WSM.

In your case, as with my Savage, the only original part is the action, hence my license still says Savage, model12 in .308 cal.

No need to do anything to your license. :)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

that has put my mind to rest thanks......cant wait to collect my rifle should have it back in the next few weeks

Pictures then. ;)

Ezridax wrote: »
    Pictures then. ;)

will do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

bazza888 wrote: »
    barrel lengths cant be cut below 20" isnt it?certain types of stock cant be used?I tought you couldnt get a folding stock with pistol grip or is that just shot guns?i was thinking of getting my cz cut to down but was told on here its a sort of grey area you can but a 16" barreled cz but not cut an 20" down to 16".

pistol grips and folding stocks apply to shotguns.

Its a gray area yes but it is possible to have done.

I must actually ring the DOJ about it to finally clear it up once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    that has put my mind to rest thanks......cant wait to collect my rifle should have it back in the next few weeks

Where you getting it done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bazza888 wrote: »
    Yup. There's the legal argument that if you buy a shorter-than-50cm barrel rifle, your licence (if issued) could count as a legal authority for owning an otherwise-illegal firearm; but that argument doesn't help with section 12A (which prohibits the cutting down of a firearm beyond 50cm except if you're an RFD and you immediately re-lengthen the barrel to longer than 50cm).

Just to be clear - a legal argument is not legal permission, it's just a line your barrister can take when arguing in a court of law that you're not guilty of the crime you were arrested for. So, as you can imagine, you'll go through a fair bit of stress if you rely on this argument and get into a spot of bother even if you are ultimately successful, which isn't a given by any stretch of the imagination.

Where you getting it done ?

john greene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    john greene

what brand of barrel is he using this weather??

Advertisement