Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job sites for US career training visa?

Options
  • 16-01-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hey everyone i was going to apply for this visa
    http://www.go4less.ie/usa-work-visa/career-training-visa.asp
    but im curious to know if anyone knows any real good sites to upload CV or get talking with IT companies in the US that would help with getting this visa?
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You should put your resume up on monster.com, at least have it available for employers to find. Have a look through craigslist.org also, send a few emails in the area you hope to go to and see what you can find. Also, have a look for recruiters in the US, especially the city you're going to. They can help a lot for temporary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

You should also create a profile on dice.com

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

BornIn84 wrote: »
    Hey everyone i was going to apply for this visa
    http://www.go4less.ie/usa-work-visa/career-training-visa.asp
    but im curious to know if anyone knows any real good sites to upload CV or get talking with IT companies in the US that would help with getting this visa?
    cheers.

Hi BornIn84 did you apply for that visa..would be interested to hear how it's progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

hey...still looking for a job. dunno if im eligable tho now looking at it closer....Im outta college 3 years now but have a degree in computers...
    dunno if its that stupid thing where you have to have graduated in the last 12 months

No, thats the right thing for you.

I graduated 5 years ago and have been accepted onto the Professional Career Training program by the "sponsor".

The 12 month programme for recent graduates is different to this. That one is usually called the "intern" programme, and this (potentially) longer one, the "trainee" progamme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

BornIn84, i'm in the same position as yourself. I went in and talked to Claire from go4less and she was very helpful so I suggest arranging a meeting with her if you'd like to pursue this avenue. She was able to confirm that I'm eligible for the PCT Visa, having graduated in 2007 and working in IT since.

The problem I'm having is I'm afraid to apply for jobs, when the visa takes 6-8 weeks to process, and also, writing up my cover letter that comes across as "I don't have a visa yet, but I will in 6-8 weeks if you employ me... please? :D".

Any progress on your job/visa application?

ianhobo, were you successful in the application, and how did you find the job hunting process?

wait guys i'm confused. so its the career training visa ( the one i linked above) i'm eligible for? because i thought you needed 5 years experience for that. but i am eligible for that it seems. I'm gonna keep looking at applying directly to U.S. companies. its not been successful yet! here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Hey BornIn84, the requirements are:

If you have a Degree/college qualification, you must have at least 1 years work experience in the same industry (which you do :)).

Or

If you have no Degree/college qualification, you must have at least 5 years work experience.

Please let us know how you get on - I'll try and keep ye updated too if I can :)

Aspiration wrote: »

ianhobo, were you successful in the application, and how did you find the job hunting process?

Hey, yes I was successful in my PCT application, and my visa interview last week. Flying out on Thursday :D

The job hunting experience in general was long and difficult, you have to persevere! Most companies and recruiters are not very knowledgeable about visas, so learning as much as you can before hand can be very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Aspiration wrote: »
    The problem I'm having is I'm afraid to apply for jobs, when the visa takes 6-8 weeks to process, and also, writing up my cover letter that comes across as "I don't have a visa yet, but I will in 6-8 weeks if you employ me... please? :D".

Aspiration, I would keep in mind that the 6-8 weeks is usually mandatory to state as it would show the longest time expected. You could easily go through the entire process in 4 weeks. With this in mind, most companies spend 4-6 weeks working on hiring people. They will begin with a phone interview (about a week or two after advertising the job) and then a week or two later proceed with more in depth interviews. The whole process should take as long as your visa, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. All you need to say is that you can begin work in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

hey man.congrats on gettin it. im still trying. Do you have any tips?
    Did you right a cover letter for your resume? if so did u mention you needed sponsorship?
    if you do can you PM me please? any help would be appreciated. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

ianhobo wrote: »
    Hey, yes I was successful in my PCT application, and my visa interview last week. Flying out on Thursday :D

The job hunting experience in general was long and difficult, you have to persevere! Most companies and recruiters are not very knowledgeable about visas, so learning as much as you can before hand can be very helpful

Nice one congrats, would love to hear how you're getting on. Did you apply direct to companies or go through agencies? Any tips you have much appreciated :)

Advertisement