Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build for C.A.D. needed!

Options
  • 16-01-2011 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I need help building a PC. It will be used mainly for C.A.D, Gaming, Watching Blu-Ray DVDs, and browsing the internet. The C.A.D. program I will be using is SolidWorks, the system requirements are here http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html In the requirements it says you need an ATI FirePro or NVidia Quattro graphics card but I am using it now with a 3 year old laptop Geforce 8600M GT 256mb graphics card and it runs ok, it can be choppy when working with highly detailed models. A friend told me that any good gaming graphics card with 1GB of graphics ram should run it fine.

I have a small few things i'm picky on so here they are:
    The HDD needs to be as fast as possible, but I need a lot of space so I don't want a SSD.
    I need a blu-ray disc drive, I don't need to write them, just read blu ray and read and write CDs + DVDs.
    The Graphics card needs a HDMI port as the computer will be run from a 32 inch full HD phillips tv with no VGA or DVI ports.
    The computer will be nowhere near my router so I need a decent wireless card beacuse wires wont be practical.

Here is a build my friend suggested, what do you think?
    EDIT: It's attached to post number 10!

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Can't see pic, please download and attach. Is there a budget? Do you neeed keyboard/mouse/OS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GarRoIT

I tried to attach it earlier but it wouldn't let me (I think it was too big) My friends build doesn't really matter, I was looking for ideas from other people. I'll try again tomorrow when I'm not as busy.

I was looking to get a rechargeable wireless keyboard and mouse, they're hard enough to find but I have found some for around €100 if you know of any good ones cheaper elsewhere you can let me know, otherwise I'll add them myself later. I have a windows7 ultimate 64bit licence on another computer but I'm not sure if I will use that or not, but if I decide to get another licence I'll add it on myself too. Whatever licence goes on it it will be a 64bit edition of windows 7.

There is no definite budget I'm more looking for the best value. I'd prefer if it could be kept to around €600, but I could stretch to around €800 if it was going to make a big difference. That's without the keyboard, mouse and OS.

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wouldn't bother with a rechargeable mouse. Just get ones with decent battery life, you'll probably only change the batteries once or twice a year.

I wouldn't bother with a rechargeable mouse.
    This. I bought a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard combo last January and I've only changed the batteries in the mouse once.

I know that if anything I'd say that I'd probably be better just getting rechargeable batteries and a battery charger. I just couldn't have a situation where I need to go on my computer and the batteries are dead. A guy I did some work for before had both a rechargeable keyboard and mouse, they were unbranded or at least an unknown brand, he said he got them cheap in power city but I could never find any for myself.

• Advertisement

GarRoIT wrote: »
    I just couldn't have a situation where I need to go on my computer and the batteries are dead.
    Oh Dear! :pac:
    You will know when you need to change batteries when the response of the mouse gets a bit laggy. It's no big deal really.

It's no big deal really.

I suppose it's not a big deal really, I just just go to the local shop and get more. It was just the thought of having to work at a certain time and not being able to do it. I wont be doing any work without a new computer though.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I suppose it's not a big deal really, I just just go to the local shop and get more. It was just the thought of having to work at a certain time and not being able to do it. I wont be doing any work without a new computer though.:rolleyes:

thats why u buy 4x rechargable batteries

2x for the mouse 2x on standby

the keyboards generally are so light on battery power a pair of disposable lithium ion batteries will last well over a year.

thats why u buy 4x rechargable batteries

2x for the mouse 2x on standby

That's what I'll probably do, here is the custom build my friend proposed:

The wirelss card and RAM are expensive. I can vouch for this card as an alternative: http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28575&agid=271 with a half-decent N router.

• Advertisement

Thanks, any good ram that's cheep enough? I was thinking of getting 8Gb Solidworks recommends more than 6GB and it would also be handy for running virtual machines.

I was just looking at this and I noticed something, I don't think there is a cpu cooler/ fan or whatever there? does it need one or is that part of the case or something?

Can I ask as well, will I get sound from the HDMI port on the graphics card? If not would it be a good idea to get a sound card?

Thanks, any good ram that's cheep enough? I was thinking of getting 8Gb Solidworks recommends more than 6GB and it would also be handy for running virtual machines.

I was just looking at this and I noticed something, I don't think there is a cpu cooler/ fan or whatever there? does it need one or is that part of the case or something?
    Any, 1333MHz CL7 or 1600MHz CL9 DRR3 is the best stuff to go for. The higher rated stuff is mostly got for extreme o'clockers/benchmarks. If you can get modules that run at those specs @ 1.5v then all the better (wouldn't worry too much about that though).
    A stock CPU cooler comes with a boxed CPU. If you're planning on overclocking, then you should buy an aftermarket cooler. If not, then the stock cooler is fine. Some people like to replace them with after market ones that can be quieter, or if the case temp is high due to GPUs etc. They can always be retrofitted if you're undecided.

Onboard sound is fine. Without looking it up, I'm 99% sure that modern AMD cards provide sound over HDMI. No harm in checking yourself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Can I ask as well, will I get sound from the HDMI port on the graphics card? If not would it be a good idea to get a sound card?

Can't be arsed logging into Facebook to view the pics, but if the CPU is a retail one, it should come with a cooler...

You should get sound over hdmi (check the tech specs of the card to be sure), no point in buying a separate sound card unless you really really need one IMO, most onboard sound these days does the job nicely.

As for your storage q in the first post - spinpoint f3 is the guy for the job...

Thanks for all the help lads, I suppose I'll just go with what's there and buy any extras I need later.

So I've completely changed my mind. I'm going to learn more about computer components and try to pick the parts myself that best suit me. Does anyone know if it would be worth my while changing from the Samsung spinpoint to a Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD that has the exact same spec expect it has double the data transfer speed of the Samsung? The WD has a write speed of 600 Mbps while the Samsung has 300 Mbps. The WD is only €6 more.

EDIT: I just read the the WD is SATA 3 while the Samsung is Sata 2. Does that make any difference? Also is it better to have a bigger or smaller cache?

The WD has a write speed of 600 Mbps while the Samsung has 300 Mbps.
    Neither of them have these write speeds. These are the theoretical maximums of the SATA controllers. Neither of them hit anywhere close to 300MBps.
    Also is it better to have a bigger or smaller cache?
    What drives are they? Most manufactures use the same size cache for drives of the same size, so you need not be so concerned about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The WD has a write speed of 600 Mbps while the Samsung has 300 Mbps. The WD is only €6 more.7

Huh? Where are you getting those figures from?...
    Have a look at some benchmark comparisons and make your mind up that way (or just go with the advice already given and get a Spinpoint F3!)

What drives are they? Most manufactures use the same size cache for drives of the same size, so you need not be so concerned about it.

For about a tenner extra I could get a WD Caviar Black with 64mb cache, both the WD Blue and Samsung spinpoint have 32mb a cache size. Is it worth the difference? Any info on SATA2 vs. SATA3?

For about a tenner extra I could get a WD Caviar Black with 64mb cache, both the WD Blue and Samsung spinpoint have 32mb a cache size. Is it worth the difference? Any info on SATA2 vs. SATA3?
    All 1 TB? You won't really notice a difference. Caches are extremely useful, but there's no advantage to having huge cache on a small hard drive. Look to benchmarks for your answer.

All 1 TB?

Yeah there one TB each

• Advertisement

The build is starting to look great now! I added an MSI AfterBurner HD6850, A blu-ray burner and doubled the RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

On the RAM issue, I would definitely go with 8GB as a workable base to start with, more if you can afford it. I work a lot with CAD and ran into problems with 4GB using AutoCAD Civil 3D, I've since upgraded to 8GB and can now get the work done that I need.

I'd go for an 8GB kit (4GBx2) and then if you need more later you have the headroom to go to 16GB (mobo depending).

I've actually never had problems with things not working on my laptop, it has an old nVidia geforce 8600m and it only has 2 gigs of ram. Although it will work, the time it takes is very annoying and that's the main thing I want to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

So hows the build getting along Gareth? Settled on anything yet?

Terrible, got stuck deciding between 3 motherboards and couldn't decide on the HDD either, I think I'm going to leave building a pc for now, and wait until we get solidworks 2011 in school and hopefully windows 8 will be out by then. Ill probably base it on the requirements for solidworks then. Is this who I think it might be?

hopefully windows 8 will be out by then.
    Q4 2012?

Q4 2012?

I heard end of 2011 :( I'll still be waiting until we get Solidworks 2011, I think I'll be getting a new laptop soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Terrible, got stuck deciding between 3 motherboards and couldn't decide on the HDD either, I think I'm going to leave building a pc for now, and wait until we get solidworks 2011 in school and hopefully windows 8 will be out by then. Ill probably base it on the requirements for solidworks then. Is this who I think it might be?

Show us the MoBo's and we should be able to help in deciding between them.

Yes, this is who you think it is :)

There's no point, I'm going to get myself a decent laptop and then build a pc in either sept of when I'm finished 6th year.

Ur added :D and I need help, I Facebook mailed you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement