Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levelling **tiny** area of floor

• 16-01-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I did something silly 4 years ago when flooring kitchen and hall & left skanky saddle board on floor inside front door. I've since had the door replaced and got the skirting board taken out. Plan was always to rip up flooring near door and re-lay with some of my reserves so I get a nice clean line from threshold all the way in.

Problem is I had the whole floor levelled before the flooring went down and the tiny bit under where the skirting board was will need the same amount of levelling.

Is it possible to get small enough amount of levelling compound to do this job? How tricky will it be to pour/apply just the right amount?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

could you just put more adheseve under new tiles and raise to existing level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

How big an area, is it just the width and depth of a skirting board, i.e. are you pulling up a skirting which was laid flat into the floor? If so I'd just use a bit of sand and cement with some PVA mixed into the water for strength. I'd paint a bit of neat PVA onto the cavity floor and allow it go tacky for extra grip before filling.

[edit]
    if floor is tiled just use extra adhesive as per meercat
    Simples

(sorry M just couldn't resist)
    [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

Thanks for replies.

Re-reading my post I said skirting board but meant saddle board. My brain's dead! It's 42 inches (the width of the door) by 3.5 inches deep.

They're not proper hard tiles that I laid. Caralium mineral composite tiles that you can cut with a handsaw. The adhesive for sticking them down is an acrylic one - guess like what you'd use to stick down vinyl tiles => I can't just build up a thicker bed of adhesive. The levelness of the floor is essential for these tiles. Finicky.

So now that I've clarified that, d'ya reckon the "sand and cement with some PVA mixed into the water for strength" option will work? I have some PVA and should be able to get sand & cement of my brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's not as easy to get level as levelling compound. If you mix it too dry then it's difficult to trowel out, if you mix it too wet or over trowel it you weaken the mixture, and you can end up with slight humps and hollows.

I've no idea how level is 'essential' so I guess you could just try it out and see if you can get it level enough. If it doesn't work you can chip it out within a couple of days before it goes really hard. A bag of levelling compound was about €18 from a builders merchant if all else fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its 42 inches long but about 8" wide i am guessing. Tilers can use flex adhesive. To be honest I would use flex adhesive because even if you use leveling compound there is 2 different surfaces meeting. Always a chance of movement. If your tiling this area keep spare tiles. Enough to cover it twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You need to make a special tool I think. I have had to do this sort of thing and that's what I did.

Picture54.jpg

Advertisement