Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of grey goose ...

Options
  • 16-01-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Approximately how much is a measure of grey goose in a bar in dublin?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have seen it for 8-8.50 on menus. Roughly 20 shots in a 700ml bottle, so up to €170 a bottle, its very overpriced relative to the cost of production, when you compare the cost of what goes into an aged whiskey.

TGI fridays seem to have skyy vodka as their house brand vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

€10 quid where I used to work. Think the bottle was sold for €170 as a whole though (70cl)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

jaysus....have a bottle in the press at home, to drink or not to drink !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

scuby wrote: »
    jaysus....have a bottle in the press at home, to drink or not to drink !!

Drink it, it's not going to get any better.

The overpricing of "premium" vodkas is all down to the Absolut brand creating a market for them and spending a fortune on fancy advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

We have a crazy system here (and in the UK) for pricing shorts.

Basically it is triple the cost of the retail price worked out on 19 shots.

Therefore Grey Goose should only cost €7-7.50 a shot in a pub. However pubs that usually have such a choice have in general higher prices across the board.

However it is something that has always bothered me too ...

This system works fine for bog standards and basic premium brands as the profit margin is not huge but once you get up in to super premium brands a measure suddenly becomes totally exorbitant.

Point in being ...

a publican may only make €1.80 profit before expenses (staff, services etc) on a regular short yet if they sell a shot of Midleton they make about €12 before expenses yet it is the same amount of effort involved with both brands yet the profit margins are totally out of kilter.

Granted it is expensive having a good line of super premium brands in stock and ties up a lot of capital for a slow turn around but if they were priced fairer they might actually shift them more quickly therefore maximising profit instead of having very expensive stock sitting on the shelf.

A bar owner should be very happy to make a €5 profit on premium drinks but would only work on prices over a certain amount, I'm guessing €100Euro a bottle at retail.

MAybe there is a gap in the market for such a bar ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

on a regular short yet if they sell a shot of Midleton they make about €12 before expenses yet it is the same amount of effort involved with both brands yet the profit margins are totally out of kilter.
    The same issue arises with service charges in restaurants, in effect paying a waiter 10 times more to open a bottle of €500 wine than a €50 bottle.

I think TGI only charge 4.20 for the skyy, I have seen it for over €8 elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Note to self keep away from overppriced bars.
    I sell it for 45 euro a bottle (while 42 below is only 26 another amazing vodka)
    My local the village inn in clondalkin has shots of grey goose and sky for a fiver in the cocktail bar.

Whos being greedy now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

irish_goat wrote: »
    Drink it, it's not going to get any better.

The overpricing of "premium" vodkas is all down to the Absolut brand creating a market for them and spending a fortune on fancy advertising.

Ha...keep it...will be cracking open to see what the fuss is about !!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Was in a nightclub in vegas and my group was promised two bottles of vodka with our entry price of 80 dollars, waitress hadnt been informed of this, brought us over the vodka menu and we ordered two bottles of goose, seeing as we thought it was free, she came back with a bill for $2500, with a 20% tip added on, I have never been more shocked!
    It was the skyy vodka we were getting for free anyway, situation got resolved, wish I'd thought to take a picture of that bill though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

What makes Grey Goose a "good vodka"? Or anything a good vodka? Less flavours, less achohol "burn" on your throat? less chance of a hangover?

• Advertisement
Advertisement