Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

believing in yourself.

• 16-01-2011 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

Looking for a bit of inspiration here girls, I originally posted in the tattoo section but hoping I might get a better response here!

I want to get a tattoo, with a quote about believing in yourself/your dreams etc. For example maybe Just simply "Believe in yourself" or "If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it, I know I can achieve it".

If ye have any ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated?

Also is there any quotes that mean a lot to you?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm not sure, shouldn't a tattoo mean a lot to you personally?

I got my family crest on my back just below my neck.
    Partly because it means a lot, and partly because its a big evil looking two headed raven. Rockin' :pac:

Pebbles! wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of inspiration here girls, I originally posted in the tattoo section but hoping I might get a better response here!

I want to get a tattoo, with a quote about believing in yourself/your dreams etc. For example maybe Just simply "Believe in yourself" or "If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it, I know I can achieve it".

If ye have any ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated?

Also is there any quotes that mean a lot to you?

Just don't end up with "belive in yourself" :eek::D

Can't say there's that many quotes that mean that much to me, nothing I'd want permanently on me anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

It would mean a lot to my, because over the last year I never had faith or believe in myself that I Could have achieved what I have done. I lack confidence in myself and that is why I want this.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Silverfish wrote: »

I'd second that. You definitely want to go for something that means a lot to you or just a design you really like.

I have a good few tattoos myself, no quotes so far though.:p

Good luck with it!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It would mean a lot to my, because over the last year I never had faith or believe in myself that I Could have achieved what I have done. I lack confidence in myself and that is why I want this.:D

Congratulations. :) I'm happy for you that you have achieved whatever it is that you wanted, and I hope that your confidence has been boosted from this.

But can I ask, what is it that you have achieved? Rather than a quote, could you perhaps find a "symbol" for it to use for your tattoo? If you give us more details, we may be able to help you more in coming up with a symbol.

But just remember, it absolutely does not matter if this symbol means nothing to anyone else - you're getting this tattoo for you, for no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I'm thinking of getting this weaved through my next tattoo :), it might be along the lines of what you're talking about?

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

It's from a poem called 'Risk'.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I have a few motivational tattoos but they are written in foreign languages. They mean a lot to me and I do find that when I feel overwhelmed by something, they definitely do inspire me to keep on truckin'.

How about something like "Every artist was first an amateur" - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Words are kind of tricky. Too clear the meaning and you can look like a walking cliche. Do you want people to read something on your body later in your life that lets them know you have low self esteem or did?

If I was you I'd pick something that will symbolise believing in yourself, like others have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Words are kind of tricky. Too clear the meaning and you can look like a walking cliche.

If I was you I'd pick something that will symbolise believing in yourself, like others have said.

+ 1.

I wouldn't personally go for a quote. It may seem a bit tacky. Maybe pick a symbol of strength or something like Spin said, something that you will look at and know how far you've come but that isn't as obvious to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I want to get one in latin, 'per aspera ad astra', meaning approx. 'it's a rough track to the stars'. Should work well as I have a couple of star tattoos already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hey OP,

Do you not think its a bit silly you wanting the mantra 'Believe in yourself' tattooed permanently on to your body but are relying on other people to come up with the exact phrase to use?

Can I suggest "If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it, ah f**k this, its too hard. Pub anyone?".

The actual quote itself doesn't matter a whole lot, it's what it represents to the OP that matters, so I don't get why people are slating her for asking for suggestions. OP, why don't you look into getting a design with it too to personlise it a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Silverfish wrote: »

I got my family crest on my back just below my neck.
    Partly because it means a lot, and partly because its a big evil looking two headed raven. Rockin' :pac:

+ 1 I don't understand anyone who can just go in and pick something out a book/off the wall of the tattoo parlor or folks who get Japanese characters which they can't read. It's something that will be on your body so surely you want something that means something to you?

As I work as an illustrator I designed my own so of course they are personal for me but I've designed ones for friends and always stress they 'design it' I'm going to draw it but it needs to be their idea. Do you not have a fav piece of prose or song lyric that means something to you? It might not make sense to someone seeing it when its tattooed on but who cares as long as you know.

If you've got an idea but just don't think you've got the skills to draw it out go in and speak with the tattoo artist - any half decent one will go through the design idea and draw it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Up-n-atom! wrote: »
    I want to get one in latin, 'per aspera ad astra', meaning approx. 'it's a rough track to the stars'. Should work well as I have a couple of star tattoos already.

Heh, I was considering getting "ad astra" at one stage. I've a thing for stars, and Latin. :)

OP I think G86's suggestion from the poem "Risk" is lovely.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

My tattoo is a symbol and means the world to me. Personally I prefer symbols because it's obvious only to me rather than everyone.

If your tattoo is to symbolise to you the end of a tough time and your strength in having come through it, then you ought to pick it yourself.

I completely understand your thinking, my decision to get a tattoo arose from similiar circumstances.

If it were me and I wanted to get words tattooed on me then I'd go with something in Latin, lots of suggestions here http://latindiscussion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9028

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I am deadset against script tattoos unless they are a single word. I've seen whole poems written and it looks silly... That's just my opinion though!

A symbol or illustration is much better and more private. Pick anything from a shooting star to a rainbow to a soaring eagle or a phoenix rising from the ashes, a lucky koi, a Buddhist symbol, a kanji, maybe even a butterfly that used to be a caterpillar or a pretty flower to show how you've blossomed. Or something bad ass to remind yourself not to let anyone walk all over you.

Have a good think about it, then get a sketch and keep it for a while to make sure you still like it in a few weeks time, position it in different places on your body until you are 100% positive about it.

Good luck! Post the pic in tattoo & piercing forum if you go ahead with it! :D

I have the complete opposite opinion to Cherub Rock (no insult intended or anything - to each their own:)), but I much prefer typographic tattoos.

I don't like the idea of someone else drawing their interpretation of an image on to my skin. I feel like it disconnects the wearer from the piece. I know that the wearer obviously gets the chance to see the sketch before it is placed on to their skin, but I still would not feel comfortable with someone's art on my skin unless I was a devoted admirer of their work.

With typographic tattoos, you pick a font and that you love, and then the personal idea is expressed through the words that you choose yourself. My tattoos are typographic and I love them. I think that tattoos of words are very interesting.

I must say, however, that if they were in English then I probably would not like them as much as I do. The fact that they are in Italian and Spanish gives them a little bit of mystery. I speak those languages, so of course I understand them, but I like that not everybody does.

To each their own though, OP. What is most important is that you choose the medium that most speaks to you, whether that is an image or a word/phrase. Some people are very visual and express themselves through art and some people prefer to express themselves through words. All that matters is that you choose the right type of tattoo for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Why not make the confident step of choosing something yourself. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, but tattoos are something that are incredibly personal and should ideally mean something special to you. It seems a bit off to get a tattoo to inspire confidence in yourself when a bunch of strangers on the internet effectively picked it for you.

Remember that this is going to be on your body for the rest of your life (unless you opt for expensive and not-entirely-pleasant laser removal) and I say that as someone who currently has 8 tattoos with 2 more planned.

I have one script tattoo around my left wrist and I love it. The font is "Hannibal Lecter" and it says "Bene Legere Saecla Vincere" which means "To read well is to master the ages". Now that might seem silly to some people but books make up an enormous part of my life and always have done.

Get something that means something to you. And if you haven't found what that is yet, then wait until you do :)

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Get something that means something to you. And if you haven't found what that is yet, then wait until you do :)
    +1

Oh, and if you do think you might like a typographic tattoo, you should look at Ina Saltz's books http://www.bodytypebook.com/. I have the second one and I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Why not design your own? Or go in and have a chat with the tatooist and see if between your idea and their artistic interpretation you can come up with something original that you really like?

I have the eye of horus/ra on my shoulder and I still love it but you want to make sure the typography or iconography means enough to you that in 20yrs you'll still love it.

Why not design your own? Or go in and have a chat with the tatooist and see if between your idea and their artistic interpretation you can come up with something original that you really like?

+1, I have a quote worked into a design that I came up with and I still love it. I went in tattoist with an image in my head, and the he simply put it on paper (and made it look alot better!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Here's the chines symbol for self belief
    self belief - 自我信念 (Zìwǒ xìnniàn)

Maybe that's the road you want to go down. Using a complete sentence or words might get a bit ott. Symbols, especially chinese symbols have a powerful effect. Good luck and let us all know what you do go for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

My sister has a tattoo on the small of her back saying 'Brave' in another language (latin/sanskrit or something, not sure what it is!). Its something that means something to her, and because of that my parents didn't freak out when she showed it to them (my Dad would be very anti-tattoo's!). If she had just got a tattoo for the sake of it, something that didn't mean something to her, I'd say he might have been a bit more reluctant/annoyed about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

An inspirational quote that I like is

Only as high as I reach can I grow,
    Only as far as I seek can I go,
    Only as deep as I look can I see,
    Only as much as I dream can I be

Though not sure how suitable it would be for a tattoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

How about "I believe in myself enough to know I don't have to get a bunch of complete strangers to decide what someone else should write on me so I can remember it"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

:| wrote: »
    How about "I believe in myself enough to know I don't have to get a bunch of complete strangers to decide what someone else should write on me so I can remember it"

If you have nothing constructive to say, then please don't say anything at all. Your tone is condescending and most unhelpful. Familarise yourself with the charter before posting again.

Maple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

My sister has a tattoo on the small of her back saying 'Brave' in another language (latin/sanskrit or something, not sure what it is!). Its something that means something to her, and because of that my parents didn't freak out when she showed it to them (my Dad would be very anti-tattoo's!). If she had just got a tattoo for the sake of it, something that didn't mean something to her, I'd say he might have been a bit more reluctant/annoyed about it!
    A general rule is If you can't speak it don't get it inked on you, as will can tell you from the drugai saor tattoo (mega lulz!!!)

My house mate has I believe in me tattoo'd across his chest.

Best advice is just get what ya want, I have the most random tattoo's going with little to no thought gone into them. Everyone thinks my love heart has some relation to a girl when in fact I just like love heart tattoo's.

Just go for the first thing you like. Putting thought into things is over rated. If you like it get it, if not don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

I just googled this; but you might find something that you like or is suitable to howyou are feeling.

http://www.inspirational-quotes.info/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Perhaps she should listen to her future tattoo and "believe in herself" and make her own decision?

Advertisement