Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Sky Ireland Card abroad

• 16-01-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

The mother-in-law lives in Spain six months of the year (I know - lucky me!). She has a subscription to Sky here but brought the box and card back to Spain after Christmas to keep up with the shennanigans of FF on RTE. Last night the subscription channels stopped working, while the FTA channels are still available. Any idea whats happened here or should I get her to contact Sky directly? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Was the card paired to the box in Spain?

If it wasn't then i would guess she would need to call Sky (don't mention her location as Sky have no rights ot beam legally to Spain only Sky news international) and ask to have the card paired to the box in Spain.

there is also a very helpfull guy in Spain i recommend him and he has a very informative website www.satandpcguy.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i used to live in tenerife and we always had problems with sky disabling the viewing cards.

from my understanding of it, you're only licensed to use it at the premises it is registered at, so taking it abroad is a breach of the contract.

there's plenty of people selling sky kits abroad, but the process is pretty convoluted as you need to have it registered at a UK address and then get someone to send out the viewing card to you and every so often sky will decide to disable them if they're not where they are supposed to be and you have to go through the whole process again.

i'd have thought they'd be happy to get all the customers they can, but afaik its a licensing issue.

i'm pretty sure the only way to get it re-enabled is to have the sky box 'dial home' from a UK/Irish landline number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I brought my Sky card to France a couple of years ago and it worked fine. The card was one of the older blue cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Was the card paired to the box in Spain?

The box and card were brought from Ireland to Spain.So we can assume they were paired in Ireland.As was said the best thing to do is phone Sky(if ringing from Spain block caller id).

Try removing card,giving it a wipe and replace it in the box,plug box out and in again.If this doesn't work do as stated above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

zerks wrote: »
    The box and card were brought from Ireland to Spain.

Then you should be good to go - it's not like the box 'knows' it's in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it's unplugged too long it misses codes. Leave it overnight on Sky News with card in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Thanks everyone for the informative replies.

Advertisement