Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange light over south mayo

Options
  • 16-01-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

It happened this evening at around 5.50pm. I live between ballinrobe and claremorris in south mayo. The light which was a bright orange/red crosses the sky in a straight line put not in the usual east-west direction that the transatlantic traffic crosses and was also lower than a jet. There didn't seem to be any noise coming from it and it was travelling at the same speed aircraft usually pass over the house.

Any suggestions on what it was or did anyone else see it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

yup it was a glider case solved ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Just like every time somebody reports an orange/red light gliding across the sky, it was probably a chinese lanturn.

GodlessM wrote: »
    Just like every time somebody reports an orange/red light gliding across the sky, it was probably a chinese lanturn.

no in this case i also saw it and it was a glider :)

superfish wrote: »
    no in this case i also saw it and it was a glider :)

Oh right. The smiley made me think you were joking to brush the thread aside. In that case, probelm solved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Luminous golf ball from the golf course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 TrimTOODLE

Chinese lantern ! you can buy them for €1.99 in most shops, they do look weird in the sky if ur not farmiliar !!

what is a chinese lanturn and why are they up there ?? my guess would be some kind of floating device with candle inside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I believe they are also called Wishlanterns. It is racially unfair to blame everything on the Chinese ones.

http://skylanternsdublin.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Riamfada wrote: »
    I believe they are also called Wishlanterns. It is racially unfair to blame everything on the Chinese ones.

http://skylanternsdublin.com/
    Didn't know that, you learn something new everyday, that me for the day so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Riamfada wrote: »
    It is racially unfair to blame everything on the Chinese ones.

Aye, I hear they're a great bunch of lamps...

• Advertisement

29895-2.jpg

Advertisement