Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Price Fixing In Castlebar

Options
  • 16-01-2011 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed this ?
    It has only recently become obvious to me. 2 weeks ago I drove around town looking for the cheapest garage to get diesel in. To my surprise they were all the same price. Passed 5 different garages on the east side of the town.

Today I done the exact same and passed all the same garages,amazingly the have all increased in price and are all exactly the same for diesel.

This is completely illegal and price fixing of fuel should not be tolerated.

Thinking if this becomes public knowledge they will be forced to stop.!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    It has only recently become obvious to me. 2 weeks ago I drove around town looking for the cheapest garage to get diesel in. To my surprise they were all the same price. Passed 5 different garages on the east side of the town.

Today I done the exact same and passed all the same garages,amazingly the have all increased in price and are all exactly the same for diesel.

Same in every town I would suspect, also most of the forecourts are Topaz? Correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Same in every town I would suspect, also most of the forecourts are Topaz? Correct?

Yeah theres a few of them topaz. Its not as obvious in most towns. Theres obviously no price competition which forces me to drive to ballindine for the cheap fuel.
    Ive decided I am not going to be robbed by these price fixing whoores :mad:

Yeah theres a few of them topaz. Its not as obvious in most towns. Theres obviously no price competition which forces me to drive to ballindine for the cheap fuel.
    Ive decided I am not going to be robbed by these price fixing whoores :mad:

Nice one vote with your feet & wallet! Hope you tell them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

there is 3 petrol stations in the village i live in and they are all the same price for petrol/diesel and when ever one change there prices the other 2 change within 1 hour or less but i am full sure this goes on in nearly every town in ireland but nobody can prove price fixing is going on but it dose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

@ Op, what evidence do you have that there is price fixing going on? Price fixing is not about everyone having the dame price, it's where the station operators agree to set a common price.

It's probably more likely to be the opposite because there is almost no profit in fuel that the stations are simply keeping up with the lowest operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

@ Op, what evidence do you have that there is price fixing going on? Price fixing is not about everyone having the dame price, it's where the station operators agree to set a common price.

It's probably more likely to be the opposite because there is almost no profit in fuel that the stations are simply keeping up with the lowest operator.

Aye, you can tell by the way the prices keep going down.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Margins are extremely tight on fuel. Most of the operators tend to have the same or similar prices because they are operating from the same wholesale costs and similar margins.

And even then, some are consistently lower - Cosgraves on the Westport road is a good example.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Margins are extremely tight on fuel. Most of the operators tend to have the same or similar prices because they are operating from the same wholesale costs and similar margins.

And even then, some are consistently lower - Cosgraves on the Westport road is a good example.

I agree that margins are tight and the typical modern forecourt makes its money from the shop rather than from fuel, however how can the vast differences from town to town and county to county be explained?
    IMO the price is set as high as possible by each retailer and every excuse is taken to hike the price (5c tax increase leads to 7-8c increase at the pump; price of crude oil breaks $100, price at the pump goes up even though the wholesale cost wouldn't have changed).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the wholesale price of diesel and petrol is around the 50c - 60c mark, it was in one of the papers.

its the all the tax ad duties and profit margin that push it up over 1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nice one vote with your feet & wallet! Hope you tell them too!
    He can't if the price is the same everywhere.

It does seem to be the case they all charge as much as the next guy, maybe it's the lowest cost it's possible to sell at or they're fixing their price up to their neighbour and relying on the shop to make the difference.

There isn't much wiggle room with fuel though. Even buying in bulk won't get you much if any of a discount.

I'd wonder if there really can be much competition in petrol stations, there is only one or two fuel providers and shop franchises and they only sell through one type of outlet.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    He can't if the price is the same everywhere.

Thats why he said he was going to Ballindine to buy his fuel, its cheaper! So I agreed with him?

Thats why he said he was going to Ballindine to buy his fuel, its cheaper! So I agreed with him?

Yeah exactly.
    How is it that the fuel in Ballindine is cheaper! Every time im passing through its atleast 3 cents a litre cheaper than Castlebar.

If one garage brings its price down it will force the rest of the garages to do the same unless they want empty shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

claremorris is usually cheaper than castlebar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

irishgeo wrote: »
    claremorris is usually cheaper than castlebar

That's because of the Tesco filling station in Claremorris, although funnily enough I noticed in December they were dearer than Ballindine. Maybe they took the view that once you have the reputation of being the cheapest, you don't actually have to be the cheapest . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I stopped at Cosgraves to fill up today. €1.39.9 for Unleaded. Cheapest by far as most of the other ones i passed were around the €1.45 mark.

Had to queue up it was that busy! Price of fuel is only going one way, and places like this will hopefully remain cheaper because people fill up and not just throw €20 in to keep it ticking over. At least i hope they will...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭galwegians

fecking rip off ireland,

what do you expect

fecking moan moan moan

but nobody does fecking nothing,:P

galwegians wrote: »
    fecking rip off ireland,

what do you expect

fecking moan moan moan

Well I have voted with my feat and usually get my fuel in Ballindine, although I must trip over and check out the price at cosgraves.

fecking rip off ireland,

what do you expect

fecking moan moan moan

Excuse me, but I have vented my frustration anonymously on an internet site. I think my work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 paddysaab

I usually go to the small place across from the old cinema (is it Robinsons?). Pretty close to Cosgraves, usually within 1c but I think its worth that 1c to have someone put the petrol in esp.on a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Duffys are consistently 2c per litre cheaper with petrol than the other garages, not sure on diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cosgrave' Duffy's & Robinson's are consistantly cheaper than the rest of the fuel stations around Castlebar. Patsy, if you are prepared to drive to Ballindine to pay 139.9, go ahead by all means. But it is false economy unless you drive that road as part of your normal journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

fecking rip off ireland,

what do you expect

fecking moan moan moan

Shocked at the apathy in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭december83

hi
    does anyone know of a comparison website for car fuel from forecourts??
    ie where to find the cheapest petrol in kildare for example?

ps. if anyone knows the answer to this question SHARE please....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

While the prices seem to be high and the same in most forecourts around the same place and I do have major issues with the amount and increasing taxation on fuel, I have to ask, on a purely personal level, would one actually SAVE any money on a round trip for a refill to Ballindine for fuel?
    I would think not off hand, but I do get the point of going elsewhere to spend your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭december83

just found a site
    pumps.ie

:D

Diesel in Castlebar this morning 1.37.9 Diesel in Ballindine 1.33.9!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Diesel in Castlebar this morning 1.37.9 Diesel in Ballindine 1.33.9!

Where did you get petrol for 137.9 in Castlebar do you mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mentalhead

I think that there is price fixing going on too but I always shop arround for my fuel and fill up where it is cheaper. There is always "the exception to the rule" :)

detoxkid wrote: »

He's talking about diesel.

• Advertisement

detoxkid wrote: »

Yeah was talking about Diesel :confused:

Advertisement