Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recession busting diesel

• 16-01-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Recession is biting so have to sell my 08 accord. Wondering what to replace it with. Must be 06 or newer and cost max 8k. Which would you choose?

which would you choose 27 votes

Mondeo Zetec 130 tdci
    0% 0 votes
    Opel/Vauxhall Vectra cdti
    59% 16 votes
    Renault Laguna
    14% 4 votes
    Citroen C5
    7% 2 votes
    Peugeot 407
    3% 1 vote
    Toyota Avensis D4D
    14% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

mondeo or C5 is what id go for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

geezer1234 wrote: »
    Recession is biting so have to sell my 08 accord. Wondering what to replace it with. Must be 06 or newer and cost max 8k. Which would you choose?
    How does that work out financially better?
    Also why did you centre the text on that post!?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭geezer1234

Have offer of 16K on the accord so I should clear at least 8K. I realise I'll take a hit on the road tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

for me out of that bunch it has to be the mondeo or the vectra...

having driven both for a couple of years.. the vectra wins..
    and if its the 1.9cdti 150 unit... then thats better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

standard answer here golf or skoda :D

• Advertisement

Not many votes for the French cars so far! I heard the Laguna was fairly solid after 05 facelift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

standard answer here golf or skoda :D

Dear Lord those kinds of answers are getting more annoying then the Octavia suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not many votes for the French cars so far! I heard the Laguna was fairly solid after 05 facelift.

Not here you didnt. Large anti French population here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Yea i have a similar budget for my next car and i want a 05 or so diesel so i will keep a watchful eye :D

Its that or go to the UK and get a vRS 05 Fabia :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

id go for somthing like this as would be lot cheaper to run plus looks nice enough and is jap so cant be too bad :D

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Lancer/1.5-INTE/201040199744547/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    for me out of that bunch it has to be the mondeo or the vectra...

having driven both for a couple of years.. the vectra wins..
    and if its the 1.9cdti 150 unit... then thats better

I've driven the vectra and the mondeo and have to say I preferred the vectra - I think it was the 120bhp. It was really comfy and quiet on the road and was pokey enough as well.

I've driven the vectra and the mondeo and have to say I preferred the vectra - I think it was the 120bhp. It was really comfy and quiet on the road and was pokey enough as well.

I have been looking at afew diesel astra/vectra's myself and they seem ok but they just have a bad rep in Ireland for some reason ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Fiat Marea

Modern Turbo Diesel, not even run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Fiat Marea

Thats one sexchy beast

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Fiat Marea

the head says yes but the heart says not. No...actually both say no :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 conor f

I have a 03 mondeo 115 tdci and no complaints !

What about Mazda 6 2.0td , Saab 93 tid , Volvo V40 1.6d or 2.0d or any of the VAG tdi cars ?

conor f wrote: »
    I have a 03 mondeo 115 tdci and no complaints !

What about Mazda 6 2.0td , Saab 93 tid , Volvo V40 1.6d or 2.0d or any of the VAG tdi cars ?

Maybe I hang out here too much but the mazda diesel and passat seem to have more problems than most. The Saab 93 is 90% vectra. S40 interesting though....

I don't paticularly like the Toyota Avensis but i spotted this UK car and it made me take a Doubletake , 3k sterling cant be right surely for the milage and 2008

Here is another 2.2 D4D , the lack of pics is not good tho :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

the head says yes but the heart says not. No...actually both say no :pac:

The older 1.9 diesels which have done over 100k miles and have had all the big work done like timing belt/waterpump, heater Matrix (a huge job) discs & pads front & rear, couple of tyres, glow plugs changed etc would be the best thing to get.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201041199841178

• Advertisement
Advertisement