Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 warranty on phone

Options
  • 16-01-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hey all

My wifes nokia 3710 is just over 6 months old now, I brought it back to o2 mid December because the battery was only lasting around 1.5 days with light use.

It went to fonemenders (fonebenders) for around a week and all they did was flash the firmware! And in the process half bricked the phone so it had to go back to o2 for 2 weeks over the Christmas period.

We have since got the phone back reflashed and is working fine apart from the original problem of the battery barely lasting 1.5 days (the phone is sold quoting far better battery life than 1.5 days) so I'm wondering are we entitled to look for a new phone or refund at this stage?

Cheers in advance of advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

bryaner wrote: »
    Hey all

My wifes nokia 3710 is just over 6 months old now, I brought it back to o2 mid December because the battery was only lasting around 1.5 days with light use.

It went to fonemenders (fonebenders) for around a week and all they did was flash the firmware! And in the process half bricked the phone so it had to go back to o2 for 2 weeks over the Christmas period.

We have since got the phone back reflashed and is working fine apart from the original problem of the battery barely lasting 1.5 days (the phone is sold quoting far better battery life than 1.5 days) so I'm wondering are we entitled to look for a new phone or refund at this stage?

Cheers in advance of advice.

Depends on what you call 'light usage' ... check out reviews online it might give a realistic indication of what the battery life is.

You won't get a refund after 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

whippet wrote: »
    Depends on what you call 'light usage' ... check out reviews online it might give a realistic indication of what the battery life is.

You won't get a refund after 6 months.

I'd be happy with a replacement tbh.

Light usage to me is around 8 texts and 2 or 3 three minute calls per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3710_fold-2833.php

^^^
    Phone has bad battery life full stop... according to the above link that it

One of the worst I have seen in ages tbh.

They are unlikely to give you a refund as it was purchased so long ago. If you kick up enough of a fuss you may get store credit... but more likely they will simply refuse to give you any concession for it, or offer you to send for repair again... which wont make a difference likely.

Actually... read the opinions and comments... 50% of them are just people complaining about battery...

muboop1 wrote: »
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3710_fold-2833.php

^^^
    Phone has bad battery life full stop... according to the above link that it

One of the worst I have seen in ages tbh.

They are unlikely to give you a refund as it was purchased so long ago. If you kick up enough of a fuss you may get store credit... but more likely they will simply refuse to give you any concession for it, or offer you to send for repair again... which wont make a difference likely.

Actually... read the opinions and comments... 50% of them are just people complaining about battery...

Thanks, I think the phone was sold under false pretence claiming to have x amount of battery life and 6 months on she needs to bring a charger around with her.

Not good enough imo, if she wanted a phone with sh!t battery life she would have gone for a iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Batteries have a reduced warranty period, because they don't generally last as long (at full capacity anyway) as the products that contain them. Under law, batteries probably have reduced acceptable lifetimes too, so even putting the warranty aside, you may have no statutory comeback either.

Fixing the phone again won't do anything, as the phone is not broken. A replacement battery is what's needed, but getting them to replace it will be the problem.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    Batteries have a reduced warranty period, because they don't generally last as long (at full capacity anyway) as the products that contain them. Under law, batteries probably have reduced acceptable lifetimes too, so even putting the warranty aside, you may have no statutory comeback either.

Fixing the phone again won't do anything, as the phone is not broken. A replacement battery is what's needed, but getting them to replace it will be the problem.

Yes I'm aware that any attempt to fix the phone is futile as was the first effort.

I sold cars and batteries for years and if either were faulty I had to fix-sort it accordingly, does the same not apply to a phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I wouldn't even get 1 1/2 days out of my Iphone battery on light usage and at that I can't replace it myself. :mad:

I can't see a battery being covered by a service provider as they would be considered consumables. Customer useage can also determine the life of a battery, ie keeping certain apps continuously open, ie WIFI, Bluetooth etc. Also over charging, ie keeping your phone on charge continuously.

If you are getting another battery avoid aftermarket Ebay or Moore St replacements, they are total rubbish from my own experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

bryaner wrote: »
    I sold cars and batteries for years and if either were faulty I had to fix-sort it accordingly, does the same not apply to a phone?

It probably didn't apply to the car battery, unless it was warranted to a certain period by the manufacturer. Batteries are consumables, as Run_to_da_hills said, and I don't believe consumer law will give you any more than what the warranty gives (which is normally about 6 months). Same applies to laptops, you won't get the battery warranted beyond about 6 months.
    If you are getting another battery avoid aftermarket Ebay or Moore St replacements, they are total rubbish from my own experience.

Indeed, and often can be dangerous (of the exploding kind of dangerous).

My last phone (Sony Ericsson W595) lasted about 5 days when I first got it, but after about 6 months that was down to 36 hours on a full charge. I think it's fairly common for batteries to "wear out" in about 6 months these days.

jor el wrote: »
    It probably didn't apply to the car battery, unless it was warranted to a certain period by the manufacturer. Batteries are consumables, as Run_to_da_hills said, and I don't believe consumer law will give you any more than what the warranty gives (which is normally about 6 months). Same applies to laptops, you won't get the battery warranted beyond about 6 months.

Indeed, and often can be dangerous (of the exploding kind of dangerous).

My last phone (Sony Ericsson W595) lasted about 5 days when I first got it, but after about 6 months that was down to 36 hours on a full charge. I think it's fairly common for batteries to "wear out" in about 6 months these days.

Thanks again but when I brought the phone back the first time about the battery it was only 5 months old so should be still covered and I have all relevant doc's to show.

I wouldn't even get 1 1/2 days out of my Iphone battery on light usage and at that I can't replace it myself. :mad:

I can't see a battery being covered by a service provider as they would be considered consumables. Customer useage can also determine the life of a battery, ie keeping certain apps continuously open, ie WIFI, Bluetooth etc. Also over charging, ie keeping your phone on charge continuously.

With regards to bluetooth and other apps their always turned off bar needed,and the battery has been fully cycled since new so that is not an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement