Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

smaller form factor android handset that still has all the good stuff?

• 16-01-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

i'm going to be buying two new handsets for myself and my wife and had more or less settled on either the Galaxy S or Desire HD, but she's looking for something a little smaller but that still has all the good stuff the larger phones have.

I've heard that the HTC Sense front end is better than the Samsung touchwiz one, but i have a feeling i'll just find the right phone for her and then get the equiv. larger one for myself to keep the features the same.

I'd more or less decided on the Galaxy S, but the more I look at HTC the better they look by comparison so Samsung, so i feel like i'm leaning away from Sammy now and i think HTC is the way forward.

so is there a really good smaller form factor Android phone out there and is it a HTC? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

No there's not really in Ireland atm. The only small phone that I can think of that is sort of good is the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini. You can also get a pro version of it with a slide out QWERTY keyboard. Other than that, there's not many I can think of other than the Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade. That itself isn't that small (3.5") screen. But as by the name, you can't get it in Ireland and it'll take you a trip up North to get. It's really easy to unlock and debrand though and it's cheap. £99+£10 top-up. (I think it may be £20). Still a bargain.

You could get the HTC Wildfire, but from experience, it's a really slow, laggy phone with a bad screen. But she might not even notice these things. It's the little brother of the HTC Desire (not HD). Realistically just a low-end device HTC wanted to release for the not so geeky people with phones worth €400+. :D

On the whole SGS v DHD thing I recommend you go with the DHD. SenseUI (Wildfire has this too) is miles better than that of TouchWiz by Samsung. There's also the thing about Samsung and the whole 'Kies' error where it won't allow updates (google it).

But yeah, between those both phones, the DHD wins hands down. Don't really want to get into why it does but if you need, I can elaborate. Not really needed tbough. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

small = fustration.

read around here and you will know.

Believe me a bigger screen will only make things easier. Makes typing better. Apps look better. Games look better. Video looks better and Internet browsing is better. My house mate (girl) has a HTC Desire and shes wishes she had mine 4.3" screen cause its much nicer to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Why don't you get your wife the HTC Desire and get yourself the HTC Desire HD??

I'm currently trying to decide which one of the above to go for....

Id go for the HTC Desire HD just because it has a better GPU and new sense on it. It also lets you download once and use your maps and navigation without the need to use or have a data package.

Idk i also had thoughts about a massive screen when i bought the HTC HD2 but i love it at this point and couldnt image going back to something smaller. Nothing less than 4" anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I myself have the original Desire and I've used both the wildfire and galaxy S quite a bit as friends have them and I can tell you now that HTC make much better phones than Samsung.

Trust me go with HTC ;)

For me i had the choice of buying the Desire or DHD but chose the original as 3.7" is perfect for me and i think the original has a better screen.But if you pick either of the two, you'd be happy.

As for your wife, it really depends on what she is looking for in the phone , the wildfire is a good phone ,offers a lot of the features you'd expect except for the screen which has a really low screen resolution.

• Advertisement

and if she says she doesnt care about apps dont listen to her :) girls love apps :) my gf was the same. I dont care i just want a phone i could call and text and go on facebook. Then she got the apps and the words only call and text vanished :) also agree with above.

HTC is just better for the reason they issue updates faster comared to Samsung. Their UI and stock apps offer alot more than samsung. And build quality is way ahead of Samsung. The only thing missing is AMOLED ;(

Also the galaxy suffers badly from lag issues :(

Advertisement