Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD 2011/2012 Accomodation

Options
  • 16-01-2011 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I know it's early days, but I'm hoping to go to UCD next year doing Arts.
    I'm just wondering whether current students would reccommend on campus accomodation like Merville etc.. or renting a house outside campus in like Belfield. Also which would be best value for money etc.. cause I live down in munster so it'll be expensive enough to go down and back up at weekends on bus and train.
    Thanks in advance for any responces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Mo202 wrote: »
    I know it's early days, but I'm hoping to go to UCD next year doing Arts.
    I'm just wondering whether current students would reccommend on campus accomodation like Merville etc.. or renting a house outside campus in like Belfield. Also which would be best value for money etc.. cause I live down in munster so it'll be expensive enough to go down and back up at weekends on bus and train.
    Thanks in advance for any responces.

I would recommend every first year to live on campus if they can. Its the best place to meet new people and get to grips with college life. I loved every minute of it anyway.

In terms of the different campus residences all have different characteristics.

Glenomena: Is one of the most expensive but you get an ensuite room for the price. Its also kind of the forgotten residence because it was traditionally for post grads. If you want to get a lot of study done then live there as it is generally fairly quite

Roebuck: The same price as glenomena. Ensuite rooms. Was the best residence for a party when i was in first year. 6 people per house which some people find a bit over crowded.

Belgrove: Cheap residences by comparison to the other two. Nicknamed belgrade. Some of the houses are in poor repair and are in need of decoration. But because its a bit dilapidated most people don't care too much about what happens to there houses. I.e. We had 5 holes in the wall when we lived there.

Mervile: The one i would go for any day. Its the same price as belgrove but has been done up recently to the same standard as glenomena and roebuck without the ensuite. Its also very good crack and great for house parties. It also has the only proper shop on campus which is an advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 moppethead

Hi,

A question about the Merville Residences... have they changed the furniture and everything? I also read somewhere about needing to top up a utility card or something and that people would often run out when they were in the shower and stuff. Is that still the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

moppethead wrote: »
    Hi,

A question about the Merville Residences... have they changed the furniture and everything? I also read somewhere about needing to top up a utility card or something and that people would often run out when they were in the shower and stuff. Is that still the case?

Nope.
    There are no longer ESB meters. Each apt used to have a meter, you bought €5 or €10 cards and slotted them into the machine, it was a nightmare getting some room mates to buy their cards.
    If you ran out, centra was the only place that sold them (there was no backup stock in receptions, because that would have made sense), so if they ran out at 11:30, tough, no electricity.
    Its all integrated as a flat rate into your fees now.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

Definitely!

Load of people say ''I'm not ready to move away'' but thing is if you don't move away for college you never will. In first year, this is your chance to make new friends and most of them would be on campus. Also the crack is awesome!

Best crack was had in Belgrove I must admit so I'd try to get there if I was you!

:)

All the best in your education (and the leaving cert if you are in the middle of doing it lol)

Mr. BA

• Registered Users Posts: 28 EmmaDoc

Hey, Im hoping to do physio in ucd in september and im currently looking for some cheap off campus accomodation with 1st years, perferably girls..can anyone help me?

• Advertisement

EmmaDoc wrote: »
    Hey, Im hoping to do physio in ucd in september and im currently looking for some cheap off campus accomodation with 1st years, perferably girls..can anyone help me?

Hi,

There is no such thing as cheap campus accommodation! The cheapest is belgrove or merville at 2883 per semester. Also it's a first come first serve basis so you can be put with anyone male or female in the apartment! But if you and your friends all try to pick the same apartment then you can chose who you want to live with! Also online it will tell you if a male or female will live in the apartment before you pick it. But you should grab what you can because they sell out fast! I was an Residential Adsistant last year so I know a good bit about the accommodation :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lizforde

cozzie55 wrote: »
    I would recommend every first year to live on campus if they can. Its the best place to meet new people and get to grips with college life. I loved every minute of it anyway.

In terms of the different campus residences all have different characteristics.

Glenomena: Is one of the most expensive but you get an ensuite room for the price. Its also kind of the forgotten residence because it was traditionally for post grads. If you want to get a lot of study done then live there as it is generally fairly quite

Roebuck: The same price as glenomena. Ensuite rooms. Was the best residence for a party when i was in first year. 6 people per house which some people find a bit over crowded.

Belgrove: Cheap residences by comparison to the other two. Nicknamed belgrade. Some of the houses are in poor repair and are in need of decoration. But because its a bit dilapidated most people don't care too much about what happens to there houses. I.e. We had 5 holes in the wall when we lived there.

Mervile: The one i would go for any day. Its the same price as belgrove but has been done up recently to the same standard as glenomena and roebuck without the ensuite. Its also very good crack and great for house parties. It also has the only proper shop on campus which is an advantage.

Good advice there. My son was in first year last year. He stayed in Glenomina. I thought it was expensive, but I have started looking for accomodation off-campus, as he is away for the summer, and that is really expensive. Anyone have any tips for me?

I definitely agree that if you are a first year then you should live on Campus. In relation to a comment saying belgrove is run down... yes it is but many of the apartments have now been done up. Houses 34 and 35 have been done up and it is a place where 4 people stay where every other apartment there is only 3 people and there is only one shower and toilet whereas Merville there are two!
    At the moment houses 30 and 31 are being done up along with 25 and 26. Definitely look into those apartments if you want to live in belgrove. Very very modern!!

Thanks for your help but i have no mates that are headin to UL so thats the problem.. are there any websites where students advertise that they are lookin for roommates etc, that would be handy?

*ucd(not UL) sorry :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help but i have no mates that are headin to UL so thats the problem.. are there any websites where students advertise that they are lookin for roommates etc, that would be handy?

Maybe there is for off campus accommodation. It is really hard to know where to advertise! I think the best thing you can do is Wing it and live with ransomers! If you aren't happy you can request to move. Believe me when you move up and start living with randomers male or female you won't regret it! You make new friends and have a laugh! Also you will start meeting people from your course and make friends there and may end up living with them when you move into second year :)! Don't worry about who you live with. I was the same as you, worrying about who I'm living with. My day which is 4 years ago since I was in 1st year, we had no choice who to live with and put randomly and to be honest it was great! At least you can see if your living with a male or female :)! Once you set up rules for the apartment and ye follow them there shouldn't be any confrontation!

Thanks so much, you've been a great help :)

Thanks so much, you've been a great help :)

No problem at all!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement