Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate/Driveway Alarm

Options
  • 16-01-2011 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Folks, Anyone know where I can purchase a gate/driveway alarm that will pick up any car/people movement? Needs to connect to about 150 yards to house. I saw this but in the US and not sure how good .. would prefer to get it here locally. Thanks for any help. http://www.gadgetshack.com/reporter.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

we use this...

Homeeasy

the wireless pir sets off the plug in socket which in turn lights a lamp/night light for a set amount of time between 15 seconds and 4 minutes when someone drives/walks up to the house. Hope this helps... and if you type it into ebay it should come up way cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Just one thing to be aware of -> Any PIR based sensor is not guaranteed to pick up cars since they detect the movement of heat (from human bodies!). I have used several wireless sensors including an older model of the Chamberlain type one you found (which was good from a sensing point of view but bad from a design viewpoint (weather proofing, battery lifetime etc.). Anyway, bottom line is that the engine of a car entering your property may not necessarily be hot or, even if it is, the outer surfaces of the car may be relatively cool and so detection is not guaranteed with a PIR sensor. Therefore, while they will generally always detect people (unless they're aware of the sensor and moving VERY slowly), they might not detect the postman's van every time he/she visits. Obviously the positioning of the sensor is important but I have played significantly with these sensors and this is my actual experience (where the sensor is directed across the driveway).

From my research, there's no cheap all-in-one product out there that RELIABLY detects both people and vehicles. Instead you're looking at a separate PIR detector for people and something like this (http://www.mightymule.com/mighty-mule-driveway-alarm.htm) for vehicles. But, if you want to spend over €100 and the solution does not have to be wireless, then to me a security beam system (you know the ones where if the beam/s are broken an alarm or signal goes off) might be the best all in one solution. Else a CCTV system with nightvision, DVR and a motion detect alarm output...

I have thought a lot about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭minder2009

DinaElla wrote: »
    Folks, Anyone know where I can purchase a gate/driveway alarm that will pick up any car/people movement? Needs to connect to about 150 yards to house. I saw this but in the US and not sure how good .. would prefer to get it here locally. Thanks for any help. http://www.gadgetshack.com/reporter.html

Try the lighting centre.com. I got a PIR with plug through reciever (plug light/radio) into it with a chime that you can put anywhere. Cost 50 Euro. took a day to arrive from UK. Light activates at night/dark - chime works 24/7 as well as plug theough reciever. easy to set up

Advertisement