Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random questions about German slang/informal speech

• 16-01-2011 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I thought it might be good to have one thread where you can ask about that weird sentence you might have heard the other day on the street or in the Bahnhof.

Mine came in an email.

What the heck does Alles roger in Cambodga mean? Doesn't sound very teutonic to me, but I'm told it's an expression.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You know "rodger" from radio conversations ?
    As in "ok" = "rodger"

Now say rodger with a really bad German accent and it sort of rhymes with Kambodscha (Kampuchea / Cambodia). So it's some kind of a cockney type rhyming slang that doesn't really make sense.

EDIT ...I just checked ...Kampuchea only existed from 1975 to 1979 ...so you can see how up tp date it is :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks peasant! A 25-year-old Maedchen from Hannover sent me that. I must slag her. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Port Royale

... I can confirm this is being used in the hanover region.

"Alles roger in Cambodga" = "alles klar auf Sansibar" = "everything alright?" = "hiya"

this question usually goes with a specific reply: "nur in Kenia wern se wenja" = "nur in Kenia werden sie weniger" (latter one is how you spell it correctly and the former one how it's pronounced in german to make it rhyme)

this reply would mean "I'm grand" or "I'm fab"

literally the reply translates "only Kenya's population is shrinking".

so it kind of makes sense in a way that both the question and the reply refer to the fighting that went on in Cambodia and Kenya donkey years back. you can consider it as as "old" slang - 70's or early 80's.

however it isn't used with any deeper meaning but to say "how are you" and "I'm grand" so you could start you reply with "...nur in Kenia wern se wenja"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

[

What the heck does Alles roger in Cambodga mean? Doesn't sound very teutonic to me, but I'm told it's an expression.[/QUOTE]

its the same as' alles cool in Kabul' or 'pippifein in Liechstein'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 farwood

OMG....I need to go to an irish board to find propper answers to that phrase!!!

Haha....you made my day *g*

Nina

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Tremelo wrote: »
    I thought it might be good to have one thread where you can ask about that weird sentence you might have heard the other day on the street or in the Bahnhof.
    Apropos Umgangssprache - welche Bahnhof? Der Gummibahnhof?

Advertisement