Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO. Are you making the right Decision?

• 17-01-2011 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Ok. Im not Questioning anyones mind or what they want to do in college. But i Just been reading a forum. But from reading, I see So many are all doing the same course medicine and and teaching and so on, and its their 3rd and 4th choice and so on. Im new to the whole lot. Only sitting the LC myself and im just wondering. What have you to fall back on when those fail. I'm presuming there roughly all about the same points 450+ and i know many will get it. but there is going to be great competition on the colleges and universities due to so many looking for the same thing. I'm just noting. So that you dont place yourself for a big fall. What if you didnt get the points! There goes your first choice 2nd 3rd 4th right down the list till its all been check by the CAO(presuming its all the same). what then? Back to school. Do you want that? would it not be best to have something that you enjoy of course, to fall back on maybe on your 7th choice in level 8 if all else fails. you got something. You enjoy it. It may not be medicine. Your friends may not be going with you. But they advice you not to follow your friends. You are only looking for to fall.........
    Please dont target me. im just asking you to think. You have until july? anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Ok. Im not Questioning anyones mind or what they want to do in college. But i Just been reading a forum. But from reading, I see So many are all doing the same course medicine and and teaching and so on, and its their 3rd and 4th choice and so on. Im new to the whole lot. Only sitting the LC myself and im just wondering. What have you to fall back on when those fail. I'm presuming there roughly all about the same points 450+ and i know many will get it. but there is going to be great competition on the colleges and universities due to so many looking for the same thing. I'm just noting. So that you dont place yourself for a big fall. What if you didnt get the points! There goes your first choice 2nd 3rd 4th right down the list till its all been check by the CAO(presuming its all the same). what then? Back to school. Do you want that? would it not be best to have something that you enjoy of course, to fall back on maybe on your 7th choice in level 8 if all else fails. you got something. You enjoy it. It may not be medicine. Your friends may not be going with you. But they advice you not to follow your friends. You are only looking for to fall.........
    Please dont target me. im just asking you to think. You have until july? anyway

Theres not enough courses that interest me, Im on the lookout for courses to fill my CAO atm, and there all just business or managment courses, ive got untill thursday untill its set. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Theres not enough courses that interest me, Im on the lookout for courses to fill my CAO atm, and there all just business or managment courses, ive got untill thursday untill its set. :eek:

I hear ya. i only have propery ones so far. i feel i want more

I hear ya. i only have propery ones so far. i feel i want more

Real estate is great, my cousin just opened a new auctioneer enterprise in Dublin, and hes selling houses like hotcakes atm, Hes making a bomb aswell.

Hahaha Youll proberly end up like Derek from Stepbrothers. Funny quote from the treehouse scene '' My problem? I don't know. I don't have a problem, uh, Dale. In fact, I have the opposite of a problem. I made over 550K last year. How much did you make? ''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Real estate is great, my cousin just opened a new auctioneer enterprise in Dublin, and hes selling houses like hotcakes atm, Hes making a bomb aswell.

Really wow. Then again the business should be in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭francie82

anyone can become open a real estate business. all you need is a tax clearance cert to get a licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If someone is really dead set on one certain course they will do whatever it takes to get it. There's no point filling up your CAO with alternative choices if you will accept nothing but your primary choices. Sixth year is one year, your college course will affect the remainder of your life.

francie82 wrote: »
    anyone can become open a real estate business. all you need is a tax clearance cert to get a licence

Like all other businesses... its not that easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

If you are certain you only want certain courses (which are high points) then you may be willing to repeat if you don't get it first time round. Other people just assume they will get high points and are extremely disappointed. Last eyar one of my friends did this as he thought he'd get much more points than he did, although lucky one of his lower down courses dropped in points a lot and he got it in the second round. I think it's always good to stick down one lower point course and apply to some PLC courses just for peace of mind.

Aoifey! wrote: »
    If you are certain you only want certain courses (which are high points) then you may be willing to repeat if you don't get it first time round. Other people just assume they will get high points and are extremely disappointed. Last eyar one of my friends did this as he thought he'd get much more points than he did, although lucky one of his lower down courses dropped in points a lot and he got it in the second round. I think it's always good to stick down one lower point course and apply to some PLC courses just for peace of mind.

Depends on the college, I might repeat next year if im not happy with my results, wouldn't repeat twice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'm very very very stuck in my choice between medicine or theoretical physics... I guess I'm lucky that firstly, I know of courses I'd love to do. So many people can't find anything that interests them. I'm also pretty lucky that I know which ever course I get into, I'll be happy.. I just hope it's not a case of the grass is always greener...

Now, if for whatever reason things don't go my way and I don't get enough points, my fall-back is to repeat. It's one year, and it would be worth it to get the course you really want (In my opinion at least). I like school anyway! That said, I'm going to go hell for leather for six months and things should be okay. Remember, the leaving cert is about work! I'll hopefully be able to do enough work to 'guarantee' that I'll have enough LC points for them. If I don't, I won't be happy with myself anyway, so I'll want to have another bash off it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Every year there are people who mess up their CAO form because they don't understand how the selections for courses work. Considering how important it is, I'm always surprised how many leave it to the last minute or only fill in a few choices.

Fair play if you know for a fact the points you will get, but many things can happen between now and June and the CAO system is designed to allow people cover as many avenues as possible - it's crazy that people do not use it correctly.

Advertisement