Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toilet training

Options
  • 17-01-2011 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

my little girl is 2yrs and 5 months and i feel its time to potty train her she will tell me when she wants a clean nappy, is doing a wee or poop so I got her the potty and big girl pants and talked about how exciting it is to be growing up and using the potty and toilet, anyway it was all going well (with a lot of accidents) for 2 days and then she suddenly decided she wanted to wear nappies again and will not use the potty or put on big girl pants now at all.
    Has anyone got any tips/ advice on what we should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I think the consensus is leave it for a few weeks and try again. However I have a plan. My daughter is younger ( but also tells me when she is poo-ing) and will be your daughters age in the summer so am planning on leaving her run around without nappies or much clothes then and hope to train her over a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Leave it for two weeks and then try again, but big build up, tell her everyday that in X days she'll be a big girl and won't wear nappies anymore, bring her the toilet with you everytime you can and let her watch you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hazydays

thanks thats a really good idea of doing the countdown like with birthdays and christmas make it a really big deal, I feel she is ready and will be able to do it just there is something putting her off I don't want to turn it into something she hates so I won't mention it for the rest of the week and then do a build up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MisterMom

I agree with what the others have said, leave it for a week or so and then try her again. The last thing u want is to turn it into something she won't like doing - this will do more harm than good. The countdown thing is a good idea, and you could also try giving her gold star stickers or something every time she does it, it makes them feel really special!!! Hope it goes well for u :)

Grawns wrote: »
    I think the consensus is leave it for a few weeks and try again. However I have a plan. My daughter is younger ( but also tells me when she is poo-ing) and will be your daughters age in the summer so am planning on leaving her run around without nappies or much clothes then and hope to train her over a few days.

It's time! once the weather improves a little we're both good to go except I have no idea where to start. Anyone recommend a good book - I like to over prepare :)

• Advertisement

Not sure Grawns but I'll be looking for recommendations too!

Addison says she wants to go wee but when I put her on the toilet she won't go... and goes a few seconds after getting up no matter how long she sits there...

Hum! It's a tricky one - have you offered bribes? Go in the toilet and you get a big girl sticker!

I'm going to research it thoroughly before we begin. I picked up a book to read to Bridget about Princess Polly's Potty ( something like that) but didn't come accross a book for me yet. I know Gina Ford does one but the shops didn't have it yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of hers though but will read her advice and discard as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Grawns wrote: »
    I'm going to research it thoroughly before we begin. I picked up a book to read to Bridget about Princess Polly's Potty ( something like that) but didn't come accross a book for me yet. I know Gina Ford does one but the shops didn't have it yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of hers though but will read her advice and discard as appropriate.
    I'm not a Gina Ford fan either but the potty training book is actually alright. Just keep her away from the under-1s!

I'm not a Gina Ford fan either but the potty training book is actually alright. Just keep her away from the under-1s!
    Too true :D

Well I will keep an eye out for a copy and see what she has to say. I'm in no rush to start this process as I think it's going to be annoying for both of us. Better weather would help speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

My girl is gone 3 years old, very smart, which i think is the problem, goes to creche, wears the pull up pants (creche insist) and she will go the wee wees herself no problem, in and out to the toilets in the creche, do it all herself, but will not do the number 2's. They are in her pants. She won't let on when she has it done, will hide and run away laughing, wont do it on the toilet, shes trained 4 to 5 months trained now with wee wees, but no luck with the other, all in all shes gone about 3 times to the toilet for the no2. and its been more a timing issue where we had her on the toilet and she did it. we praised her at those times, gave her a surprise. she was delighted, but then next time no joy.

what we've figured out is she doesnt like mess and the first few times she went and it all got messy she hated it and wanted it clean, we tried letting her go with out the pants over a long weekend, and she just did it in her clothes just the same. we did the whole getting angry with her and explaining we werern't happy with it, to ignoring it and doing the softly softly not to worry approach, etc etc, dont know what else to do

any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

oh i have the same problem with my little girl. It's awful. I've no idea what to do. She will be 3 in jan and i hope to have it sorted by then. I think she thinks it will hurt. She had constipation when she was younger. I've promised her the earth the moon and the stars and still no joy. Also when she does a poo in her pants i bring her up to the toilet and empty it into the toilet to show her that is where poo goes. Hopefully something will click with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Sorry if you've already tried this but thought I'd post as the method worked very well for us. I made a chart from some cardboard and got big sheets of shiny stickers. Explained to our daughter (2.5 years) that she was a big girl now and would be using the potty. She was already asking about it and wanting to sit on the toilet. Anyway she would get 1 sticker for doing a peepee in the potty and 3 stickers for a poo. She loved choosing which sticker, we had animals, shapes, stars etc. She would run out from the bathroom shouting about her stickers. When she got a row of 5 stickers she got a lollipop or kinder egg. After about a week it stretched out to 10 stickers for a prize, and then just put the stickers and chart away after about a month.

Now we went cold turkey for daytime. No pull ups no nappies as I heard it confuses them. Made big fuss about getting her Fifi and Dora knickers. Not saying there were no accidents! But it worked for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm not a fan of the pull up pants at all (except for a bed time).

From my experience the child really didn't see a different between that and a nappy.

We put 'normal pants' on them and after a few accidents they finally got the idea that they would have to tell someone they needed to go to the toilet. Letting the child run around without any pants as was suggested already is another good idea.

It's a pity the creche insists on the pull up pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Have you read Potty Boot Camp by Suzanne Riffel, not everyone agrees with her methods with regards rewards and all that, but her ideas on preparation for potty training are second to none.

My little one is 3 next month and we tried two months ago to potty train her with no joy... I had a new baby a month ago so we decided to leave it for another few months before trying because we didn't want to upset her too much by trying to make her a "big girl" when there was a new baby in the house...

Well, she has started to train herself, she went wee in the toilet in play school yesterday and I only found out this morning because my sister (who collects her for me) forgot to tell me yesterday! So here's hoping we're on the road to only two in nappies!

Advertisement