Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election - Dublin South

Options
  • 17-01-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Just around the corner, thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Did anyone see Shane Ross on the telly the other night? He's running as an independent in Dublin South. Always comes across very well in interviews and seems like a decent fella. I'd say that if his media machine keeps churning him onto the Panel and Saturday Night show before the election, he will have an excellent chance of getting a seat.

Fine Gael; Both Olivia Mitchell and Alan Shatter are running again, and should be shoe-ins to regain their seats. They haven't decided on who the third candidate might be. Could try to parachute a high profile candidate in, and really try to win a 3rd seat.

Labour; Alex White is running again, and with a strong performance in the by-election and the predicted rise in support for Labour should get elected.

Fianna Fáil; A far cry from getting 41.3% here in the last election. Untimely death of Seamus Brennan and Tom Kitt's retirement (After he was told he was being demoted to a Junior ministry), FF will have no incumbent TD going into battle. They haven't selected a candidate, I think they were hoping that Barry Andrews would transfer from Dun Laoighaire after it lost a seat. But strong possibilities include Maria Corrigan and Shay Brennan.

Green Party; Minister Eamonn Ryan is running again and even with the amount of unpopularity with the Green Party, he should be re-elected.

Sinn Féin; Haven't heard anything, but I would assume that Shaun Tracey will be running.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Only person that MAY be able to tempt me to actually vote is Shane Ross. Shatter and Mitchell have been useless for as long as I can remember, same goes for Kitt.

Can't see Corrigan or Shay having even a chance for FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭alyuciao

Vote for Shane.... wouldn't it be nice if he could form an technical group and get Leinster house to work for the people :cool:
    instead of the people working for Leinster house :mad:

unknown13 wrote: »
    Ross will get in aswell because the constituency is very poor.
    You do know Dublin South is Knocklyon, Rathfarnham, Churchtown, Ballinteer, Dundrum and Sandyford right?

What Dublin...Ireland constituencies aren't poor in decent candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Maria Corrigan selected for Fianna Fáil and looks like Peter Matthews chosen as Fine Gael 3rd candidate.

Fianna Fáil conceding a seat by reducing their ticket by 2 and I don't know much about Peter Matthews, but supposedly, he's a 'Banking expert'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I think Labour are quite foolish to run 2 candidates in this constituency. Should only run White and secure his spot.

I think Labour are quite foolish to run 2 candidates in this constituency. Should only run White and secure his spot.

I agree with you Delta Bravo, they effectively split the vote in 2007, and neither of them got in. I think White's profile has risen since then, but still risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

After the disappointment of getting George Lee as our TD for all of two weeks or however long it was, I'm a bit wary of celebrity candidates... glad we don't have any here, bar senator Ross. Always liked his writings in the sunday paper.

I've a lot of personal respect for Eamon Ryan, and he's the only TD that I know that has set up & run a business before becoming a pol - as opposed to being a teacher-on-leave-of-absence or something.

Am looking forward to the election!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Tragedy wrote: »
    Only person that MAY be able to tempt me to actually vote is Shane Ross. Shatter and Mitchell have been useless for as long as I can remember, same goes for Kitt.

Can't see Corrigan or Shay having even a chance for FF.

+1 to this.

I had made the decision not to vote for any of the major parties in this election.

I was going to be out or Ireland from the 24th til the 27th but then the election was called. I was then going to change my arrangements so I could vote, until I saw who was standing in my constituency. Nicola Curry seems like a good person but not what I am looking for. Shane Ross is then the only possible choice, but I am still not sure about him yet.

Don't know if it's worth changing my arrangements now.

:confused:

Shane Ross worked well as a Senator. Unfortunately TD's don't operate as Senators, and I don't really see or understand what he can viably offer us in the Dáil.

We really must have the most lacklustre candidates of any Dublin constituency.

• Advertisement

Shane Ross may have been a Senator but he was a Senator that earned his pay and earned the respect of most of the people.

When you compare that to many PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS who have lost our respect and only thought about their pension pot getting bigger then I would not hesitate in voting for a man, that I feel that I can trust, to in the very least, watch our backs for us.

alyuciao wrote: »
    Shane Ross may have been a Senator but he was a Senator that earned his pay and earned the respect of most of the people.

When you compare that to many PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS who have lost our respect and only thought about their pension pot getting bigger then I would not hesitate in voting for a man, that I feel that I can trust, to in the very least, watch our backs for us.
    That's fine, but as an Independent Senator(and writer for Sindo) he had plenty of scope to take a stand, raise issues, ask tough questions.

I'm not convinced that he will be able to do that, or at least as effectively, as an Independent TD.

Hence my reservations.

Don't get me wrong..... I have a very strong instinct to run a mile from any career politician; be it from the Senate or the Dail.

That being said, the best of a bad lot is still the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

what candidate is good for us? i.e not the likes of sinn fein :mad:

We are not some sort of collective body or ethnic group. Vote for whoever you want.

My constituency will probably return a SF Td (Dublin South West). Does that count as the southside in your book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

quite simply no

Make your own mind up and don't ask other people to tell you :/

partyndbs wrote: »
    quite simply no

Well then I suggest you vote for Mary Hanafin. As an ex teacher she might be able to give you a few geography lessons. Templeogue is in the southside of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Why not vote in this election in terms of the National interest not just the local one.

Well then I suggest you vote for Mary Hanafin. As an ex teacher she might be able to give you a few geography lessons. Templeogue is in the southside of Dublin.

You might want to brush up on it as well. Templeogue is literally on the border between two constituencies, so making it sound like it's the heart of Dublin southwest is a bit of a joke. Tallaght, clondalkin and limekiln MAY elect a SF TD, I can assure you only the smallest minority in templeogue acne terenure will be voting for that candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

And Hanafin is not running in South Dublin so that point is kinda irrelevant.
    She's running in Dun Laoghaire

And Hanafin is not running in South Dublin so that point is kinda irrelevant.
    She's running in Dun Laoghaire

This thread was merged into the Dublin South one so it was not irrevelvant when I posted it. He could have been referring to any constituency in South Dublin County or Dun-Laoghaire Rathdown county areas.

Tragedy wrote: »
    You might want to brush up on it as well. Templeogue is literally on the border between two constituencies, so making it sound like it's the heart of Dublin southwest is a bit of a joke. Tallaght, clondalkin and limekiln MAY elect a SF TD, I can assure you only the smallest minority in templeogue acne terenure will be voting for that candidate.

On the other side of the Templeogue border, Aongus Ó Snodaigh will more than likely be returned in Dublin South Central along with Seán Crowe in Dublin South West, so basically all parts of Templeogue will be represented by a Sinn Féin deputy.

Advertisement