Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain running shoes

• 17-01-2011 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Has anyone seen any good sales last seasons stock type of thing anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

Some one knows something there not telling me lol
    I'm looking for a pair for about 50 ish quid any one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

JJB had 70% OFF soem stock ast week.might be worth a look.
    I woudn't train in any shoe with an rrp of less than 100euro:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tbh its not a bargain unless its a suitable shoe that will do the job and its on sale.

Other then that if you skimp on a good shoe you'll regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

Cabaal wrote: »
    tbh its not a bargain unless its a suitable shoe that will do the job and its on sale.

Other then that if you skimp on a good shoe you'll regret it

It's as simple as carry on training with what I have ie. A pair of Astros football boots or find a pair for 50 quid even a pair of dunes stores brand would be better than I'm using
    Cheers club card I'll take a look

Last year I wouldn't have taught twice of spending 100 quid on decent runners this year every 100 is another weeks shopping to feed the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Tk max have nike lunar cheap.55 euro. But limited sizes. A lot of new balance too. Great deals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

RT760_600.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

jinka wrote: »
    RT760_600.jpg

I can recommend these. Usually wear kayanos and these are a decent substitute. Last year were selling for 110 euro. On sale at above price in elverys. Lighter than kayanos too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

kayanos are a heavy trainer-these are a racer or performance trainer .260grams. Kayanos cause more injuries-piece of crap in my opinion.These are 34.99 in TK max.RT760

jinka wrote: »
    kayanos are a heavy trainer-these are a racer or performance trainer .260grams. Kayanos cause more injuries-piece of crap in my opinion.These are 34.99 in TK max.RT760

mustn't be suited to you so. I've been wearing them since 2002 and have had relatively few injuries thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Same here, always found them great. Only reason I didn't but them last time around was because I was sick of the holes appearing in the toe box, that part must have been made of tissue paper for a while.

• Advertisement

Kayanos are very heavy. Wudnt touch them. Heel is too chunky and big. If you read born to run you wouldnt touch them. I prefer a lower profile shoe myself but of course everybody is different..

Don't start on the Born to Run thing, even though there's lots of believers like yourself it does not apply to everyone. I've read it and I'm not going to go running down the streets over stone etc barefoot, don't think too many would either. The heel is chunky for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

34.99 seems like a good price for what appear to be good runners, as it's been pointed out thought it's only good if it is the right shoe at the right price...

Will head t TK's and see if these are the right shoe, as I need trainers that have no instep support at all as they literally destroy my feet... I live in hope!

violator13 wrote: »
    Kayanos are very heavy. Wudnt touch them. Heel is too chunky and big. If you read born to run you wouldnt touch them. I prefer a lower profile shoe myself but of course everybody is different..
    :mad:
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Don't start on the Born to Run thing, even though there's lots of believers like yourself it does not apply to everyone. I've read it and I'm not going to go running down the streets over stone etc barefoot, don't think too many would either. The heel is chunky for a reason.
    :D

For some reason my parents thought it a good idea I wear shoes from an early age. The bloody cheek of them. I'm now stuck wearing runners for ever. Have tried introducing barefoot running before and it was a disaster. Just not use to bare foot running and still have a dodgy calf from running au natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm 'lucky' enough to be a neutral runner and know what runners suit me, Adidas Response Cushion, Adizero tempo, NB106X, NB76X, Nike Triax etc.
    So I just tend to buy ahead of the curve when sales are on or if I spot something when I'm out and about. Can't remember the last time I paid full price for a pair of training shoes. Some say runners (the protection from the sole) has a shelf life - I've never experienced this tbh.
    So, know what runners suit you and keep your eyes open and you don't have to compromise quality for price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'm 'lucky' enough to be a neutral runner and know what runners suit me, Adidas Response Cushion, Adizero tempo, NB106X, NB76X, Nike Triax etc.
    So I just tend to buy ahead of the curve when sales are on or if I spot something when I'm out and about. Can't remember the last time I paid full price for a pair of training shoes. Some say runners (the protection from the sole) has a shelf life - I've never experienced this tbh.
    So, know what runners suit you and keep your eyes open and you don't have to compromise quality for price.

You know of any more neutral runners off the top of your head that are commonly available in Ireland? I'm neutral footed also, and its annoying when you do come across a good bargain in a running shop, and the staff don't have a clue as to what sort of runner the shoe is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Salomon Whisper 2 trail runners half price in Great Outdoors sale

Usual all or nothing on this. Simply using a lower profile, lighter shoe is the way to go rather than sitting up on 2inch heels. Kayanos are always pushd at newbies to running in shops. Something like the nike lunarglide is a far better shoe imo. Lighter, lower profile and good support.

2 inch heels is a bit of an exaggeration isn't it. If people are comfortable in Kayanos, and like the fit and find they don't cause them injuries, who are you to say otherwise or assume they only buy them because the store worker told them to, you're giving wearers very little credit and insulting them all as 'newbies'.

Enjoy them so but lose the attitude. Im not calling anybody a newbie. Dont b so sensitve..i have experienced the hard sell of kayano on numerous times. Just dont tell me they are a better shoe that others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Hooked

2 inch heels is a bit of an exaggeration isn't it. If people are comfortable in Kayanos, and like the fit and find they don't cause them injuries, who are you to say otherwise or assume they only buy them because the store worker told them to, you're giving wearers very little credit and insulting them all as 'newbies'.

On my 5th pair of Kayano's, and while they're not for everyone - they most definitely are for me!

Picked up 2 pairs of 16's (model NOT size!!! :P) in JJB's Limerick for the price of one. Were reduced to 75 yo-yos per pair. My last pair from Sub4.ie at 109 euro (needed them badly) and my previous 2 pairs (of 15's) from elverys (103 euro with 26.2% discount) and Heatons Sports World (95 euro).

Shop around OP. There's always deals to be had!

I never said they were better than any other or advocating one shoe over another. But you are, you said the Lunar Glide were the way to go and not bother with the Asics. My point is that people should be able to wear whatever they prefer. And for the record I no longer wear them due to the issue I previously raised but will probably return to them at some stage.

I never said they were better than any other or advocating one shoe over another. But you are, you said the Lunar Glide were the way to go and not bother with the Asics. My point is that people should be able to wear whatever they prefer. And for the record I no longer wear them due to the issue I previously raised but will probably return to them at some stage.

I'm with you on this one. I couldn't give a flying fcuk what anybody wears or doesn't wear was just saying what my (vast :D) experience in running shoes has shown me what the best shoes are for me.

As an aside I like training in a heavy running shoe as when it comes to race day and I don the racing flats, I feel like I'm walking on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Timmaay wrote: »
    You know of any more neutral runners off the top of your head that are commonly available in Ireland? I'm neutral footed also, and its annoying when you do come across a good bargain in a running shop, and the staff don't have a clue as to what sort of runner the shoe is for.

This Brooks guide is handy: http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brand-Comparison-Chart/brand_comparison_chart,default,pg.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

0ba8617c-5dc9-4ed0-9101-0bc9a0081bb1.Medium.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Timmaay wrote: »
    Mizuno Wave Rider, Precision, Wave Creation are all neutral. Have worn the Rider and the Precision and found them great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

what brand are they?

Lunarglide. Would love a pair in that colour. Best nike runner imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

are these the custom design ones or is it only the lunarglide 2 that are available on the nike store.great shoe to run in .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

just got a pair of asics kayano 16 in World Sports above Heatons for €85!!

I am soo delighted - I had looked in so many stores and they only had then in smaller sizes..

No other runner gives me the support along the whole foot like they do..

happy running days,,

sporina wrote: »
    just got a pair of asics kayano 16 in World Sports above Heatons for €85!!

I am soo delighted - I had looked in so many stores and they only had then in smaller sizes..

No other runner gives me the support along the whole foot like they do..

happy running days,,

good going, which heatons ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

Blackpool Cork..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Sports Direct over here have a big sale of last seasons models at the mo, shops all over the UK, helps if you're living here, but i'm sure they deliver.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/footwear/running-shoes?dcp=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Elvery's have 25% all shoes at the moment...got Kayano 17s in Pavilions for €105. They also have Gait analysis (treadmill/video) there...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Arnotts are selling lots of brands at half price atm... Asics Gt2150's are currently 55 euro and they appear to have lots of sizes from 7 up to 11............unfortunately for me tough there are no size 9.5!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

liamo123 wrote: »
    ...... unfortunately for me tough there are no size 9.5!!!!

There is NEVER a size 9.5 left in the sales:(

if you call into elverys at the moment you can get a 15 euro discount card for online purchases as they are trying to promote their online site. as they are also having a sale at the moment and there is free delivery on orders over 50 euro, it means that, for example you get nike luarglide 2 for 56 euro delivered. (normally would cost 90 euro +_)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭southernstar

Mahers on Oliver Plunkett st in Cork Have a load of Mizuno runners on sale that they couldnt sell in North Main st - NM st only sell tracksuits and Air Max to non-athletes as far as I can see ;)

I got a pair of Wave Alchemy 9 for €80. Not a bad alternative to the €150 that most places are looking for Kayanos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

TK Maxx in St Stephen's Green have some mens New Balance 760 and 1064 for €39.99 at the moment.

They have Nike Lunar Elite in the one in Blanch for €55. On Saturday they had sizes 6.5, 7 and 7.5. May have had larger but I was only browsing around my own size range. Pretty ugly colours though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement