Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 gallon beverage cooler

• 17-01-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Was just wondering does anybody know where you can buy a 10 (US) gallon rubbermaid MLT or equivalent beverage cooler in ireland. Found a few online but delivery from the states brings it to a €90 investment. Bit pricey

screen11.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Here is a list of different cooler; some may need a hole drilled in them

http://www.charlescamping.ie/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_82_323_324

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

I goin to go ahead and try to convert a cool box into a mash tun. I'm new to this forum so i don't know if this has been covered in a thread before but if it hasn't will i take a few pics n document the process? Maybe some of you guys who have been on this forum all along can let me know if it has been done already

Well i haven't totally taken it to heart that there has been zero interest in this so I'm going to put it up anyhow. The cooler i used was the biggest one you can get at Argos.screen12.jpg

Obviously i would need a siphoning system at the bottom of the box so some plumbing fittings were required also.

First thing needed is a 1/2 inch brass nipple. i got a 100mm from B&Q along with the rest of the fittings but a regular plumbing suppliers will give you much better value
    screen13.jpg

2 X 1/2 inch backnuts to go on the inner and outer walls and 2 gaskets to seal them up. i had mine made from some tractor tyre tubing, them farmers come in handy!
    screen14.jpg

You'll also need 1/2 inch faucet/Valve. I got a 1/2 inch butterfly valve cos they're compact.
    screen15.jpg

A half inch hose connector will go on the other side of the valve.
    screen16.jpg

The first thing is to drill the hole. i measured the external diameter of the brass nipple to be 20mm therefore a 19mm hole would be ideal. i used a hole saw drill bit to do this (3/4 inch = 19mm)

screen17.jpg

Jobs oxo

screen18.jpg

Now the brass nipple should screw in nice n tight. i used a pliers as shown

screen19.jpg

I screwed it in to about half in half out

screen20.jpg

First thing to put on either side are the gaskets. Using these in conjunction with some plumbers tape should stop any leaks.
    screen21.jpg

Before the backnuts go on either side put on plenty of plumbers tape. when ya think ya have enough on put on some more. This tape goes on right in front of the gaskets where the nuts will tighten.

screen22.jpg

Once both back nuts are in place you can attach the valve. same again don't spare the plumbers tape. Hose connector goes on in front of the valve and again plenty of tape!

screen23.jpg

• Advertisement

The last piece of the puzzle is to add a makeshift hop-strainer. I used and aluminum mesh called a lint trap. I dont know where to get these in Ireland, I had to get mine off ebay! I put one inside another and cable tied it to the brass nipple
    screen24.jpg

There ya go, cant wait for me first brew day.
    screen25.jpg

Nice work, interesting to see how you get on with the mesh strainer, i tried with a braded hose but never got to work satisfactorily

oblivious wrote: »
    Nice work, interesting to see how you get on with the mesh strainer, i tried with a braded hose but never got to work satisfactorily

I'm not certain how it will work out either but if needs be i'll take the outer one off and just use one. At the end of the day i'll be doing a rack to a secondary vessel too so plenty of opportunities for filtering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nice pics!

Just a note to others who might try it, I would have put strong duct tape on the plastic before drilling, this would reduce the possibility of it cracking, or getting a running tear. Of course go very slowly with the drilling.

The aluminium might react with the wash so best clean it right away after.

Also make sure your plastics can handle the heat. Over time the polystyrene inside will probably start to shrink, and you may have to re tighten your fittings from time to time. You could possibly fill the gap inside the 2 holes with something so you are not just tightening the 2 plastic panels against polystyrene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

I have heard that you can end up with very slow runoff from those things. You might be better off with a slotted pipe manifold.

th_Thecutpieces.jpg

• Advertisement

This a 66 litre mash tun I made a few years ago, I started with the braded tubing but never could get good running’s

DSC00212-1.jpg

This is what i up graded to with help from http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/
    DSC00656.jpg

An the mash tun in action:Historical Imperial stout
    DSC00650.jpg

rubadub wrote: »
    Nice pics!

Just a note to others who might try it, I would have put strong duct tape on the plastic before drilling, this would reduce the possibility of it cracking, or getting a running tear. Of course go very slowly with the drilling.

The aluminium might react with the wash so best clean it right away after.

Also make sure your plastics can handle the heat. Over time the polystyrene inside will probably start to shrink, and you may have to re tighten your fittings from time to time. You could possibly fill the gap inside the 2 holes with something so you are not just tightening the 2 plastic panels against polystyrene

Duct tape might make a difference but the main thing is to take it nice n slow.

Kegs are made from aluminium so the mesh should be fine as long as you dont put chemicals that will react on it.

Putting something inside the cavity around the holes would definitley improve the lastability here, great idea!

oblivious wrote: »
    This is what i up graded to with help from http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/

Cant seem to find the slotted pipes on here, do you have a direct link?

Mashtun wrote: »
    Cant seem to find the slotted pipes on here, do you have a direct link?

Sorry it was are a custom order, they will make them to fit your system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 qazxsw1

Hi, haven't made one myself but it seems reasonably straight forward project given your diy skills.

1) instructions for a version of the copper tubing are here... 2) Advice on pipe size and spacing is given here... 3) a quick search on you tube for "mash tun" will return a few relevant videos

I don't think I'd solder anything as it will make cleaning easier ?

qazxsw1 wrote: »
    Hi, haven't made one myself but it seems reasonably straight forward project given your diy skills.

1) instructions for a version of the copper tubing are here... 2) Advice on pipe size and spacing is given here... 3) a quick search on you tube for "mash tun" will return a few relevant videos

I don't think I'd solder anything as it will make cleaning easier ?

Well thats how ya do it properly anyway, same set up as oblivious has. I think i'm gonna stuff a helical stainless rod inside the lint trap to giv it a bit of structure and hopefully that'll sort any potential flow issues. i'll post some pics.

I wouldn't be a fan of using solder here given the lead content

Advertisement