Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War of Independence 'landmarks'.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well I got my hands on a Thoms directory (well, I got someone who had some to check) around 1922~ era - and An Stad is not listed.

So I think we can rule my An Stad suggestion out.

Esel - your info about Ms. McCarthy's on Mountjoy street seems like a very strong candidate.

It was a Hotel, and owned by a McCarthy.

I'm going to have the guys check it, just as further evidence of its existence in the correct time frame.

Here's a link to the thread I started on a VERY helpful forum I joined all because of this quest!
    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,509617.0.html

I've linked this thread there too, so maybe some of the guys there may have some info for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 MichaelHeslin

I you look at the RIC 'Report of Outrage' form dated 4th April, 1918, you'll see (if you magnify this) that Collins address is given as 44 Mountjoy Street, Dublin.
    http://www.generalmichaelcollins.com/1.Period_Letters_reports/1.Memoribilia.2.html

Well I got my hands on a Thoms directory (well, I got someone who had some to check) around 1922~ era - and An Stad is not listed.

So I think we can rule my An Stad suggestion out.

Esel - your info about Ms. McCarthy's on Mountjoy street seems like a very strong candidate.

It was a Hotel, and owned by a McCarthy.

I'm going to have the guys check it, just as further eviudence of its existence in the correct time frame.

Here's a link to the thread I started on a VERY helpful forum I joined all because of this quest!

I've linked this thread there too, so maybe some of the guys there may have some info for you!
    Can't see the link! :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Nobody seems to be taking into account that Collins had safehouses all over Dublin and often a few on the same street. All the aforementioned could be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the detective work guys and thanks to Gunner for extending the network!
    I think it's all over bar the shouting regarding the "McCarthy's Hotel" that Mick stayed in for a week with Collins in 1919/20 and 44, Mountjoy St. seems to have it all. Maybe one day this visit will emerge in someone else's winess statement and confirm it 100%.
    181a Phibsborough Road seems to be looking good too so I think it's 'two down' unless some other evidence appears.
    I shall now set about making myself as certain about the small property off Brunswick St that housed the munitions, JJ McEvoy place in Eccles Street and who Dr. Joyce was and if he was a known sympathiser who made himself available to the movement.
    Thanks again so far friends. This will cost me dearly in pints if I get out to Dublin this summer but it will be so worth it!
    :D

Can't see the link! :-(

Strange it disappeared from my post!

Shane posted it there - TY :)

Thanks to Shane for that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

that was an amazing thread to read and i wish u nothing but sucess. it is such a big part of history of this country its great to read a personal account

that was an amazing thread to read and i wise u nothing but sucess. it is such a big part of history of this country its great to read a personal account
    I would love to put up more from my grandfather's witness statement but family members have asked that I don't so I will respect their wishes. I understand that there are deep wounds that still need to be healed as a result of the War of Independence and perhaps more so the Civil War.
    However, this thread could lead to more. I want to find out more about granddad Mick's times in Dublin with Collins et al but I don't have a problem with things branching out particularly if it is based around a relative's memories of the WoI. Perhaps it could lead to paths crossing and more questions answered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Laurence Dunne

i grew up in "An Stad", 30 North Frederick Street, Dublin 1, Ireland, and I can tell you for certain that the hotel was indeed owned by a Family named "McCarthy" at that time. I would greatly appreciate any inforamtion anyone has about evens in that house before my birth. The house has fallen into disrepair and disuse, and I would greatly appreciate any light anyone can shed on the things that happened there that might explain my background. I did hear stories of Tans attacking the house in 1921, Michael Collins hiding in the basement, and a couple of gunfights. I'd love to hear more information from anyone who can provide it.
    Well North Fredercik Street is really no further away than Dominick street. I'm not saying An Stad is definitely the 'hotel' but the Leix is only one of many hotels / guesthouses in the area, and we have seen absolutely NO connections to the name McCarthy thus far. And nowhere in the statement does it state the 'hotel' was in the broadstone area, merey that it was not that far away. 10 minutes walk is not that far away.

If you can find a 'McCarthy' that owned the hotel around 1920, you may have a candidate. Until then, its not really a runner IMO. Accurate history is based upon fact, innacurate history is based upon assumption.

Saying that, all in all I think everyones contributions have been great so far, and the more information we can dig up for the OP the better.

Already we can build up quite a picture of the OP's grandfather, and his travels as detailed in his statement.

i grew up in "An Stad", 30 North Frederick Street, Dublin 1, Ireland, and I can tell you for certain that the hotel was indeed owned by a Family named "McCarthy" at that time. I would greatly appreciate any inforamtion anyone has about evens in that house before my birth. The house has fallen into disrepair and disuse, and I would greatly appreciate any light anyone can shed on the things that happened there that might explain my background. I did hear stories of Tans attacking the house in 1921, Michael Collins hiding in the basement, and a couple of gunfights. I'd love to hear more information from anyone who can provide it.
    This seems to have appeared on Wikipedia and thought it might be of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Stad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Sundew wrote: »
    Michael,
    The book I mentioned in my earlier post is called "Where's Where in Dublin" by Joseph E.A Connell Jnr. It came out in 2006 for the 90th anniversary of the 1916 Rising.
    http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/product.php?intProductID=195
    It's also available on Amazon

Great book for anybody interested in Irish History, the History of Dublin City or anybody who just loves walking around Dublin City.
    I'm pretty sure that I picked it up in Chapter's Bookshop for under €10

My own book is currently in storage at my in-laws house :cool: so I can't take a flick through to see if the sites you mentioned are noted in the book. Will try and get hold of it next week.

Ooh thanks for this Sundew. Due to redundancy I am going to have an awful lot of time on my hands and have decided to research Irish history and my own family tree. I am definitely going to pick up a copy of this book, hopefully it will still be in Chapters.

Thanks also to the OP for posting this, delighted to have found it.

SteoL wrote: »
    Ooh thanks for this Sundew. Due to redundancy I am going to have an awful lot of time on my hands and have decided to research Irish history and my own family tree. I am definitely going to pick up a copy of this book, hopefully it will still be in Chapters.

Thanks also to the OP for posting this, delighted to have found it.

I'm glad that I posted it. It is great to see people taking such a lively interest in their history. In the last few weeks, I have started getting other statements sent to me from the BMH and how fascinating they are! In the case of my own grangfather, they are certainly helping me to cross some Ts and dot some Is!

Another mention of An Stad. I seem to recall reading about this Sinn Fein tour some time ago but An Stad wasn't mentioned. I wonder if it appeared on the tour because of this thread? Perhaps someone from the SF tour could comment? :-)

Holy thread revival batman!

Yes, I have revived the thread - mostly because of noticing something on my way in/out of town recently, but never noticed it before, and this thread popped straight back into my mind!
    msditw.png

This hotel is literally 10 mins or less from Broadstone Station.
    34gsh9u.png

However, I cannot find any info on the hotel. Would be a prime candidate if anyone can find any info about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

there an old hotel sign on the side of a redbrick house opposite the black church, just before the western way

oops beaten to it...

Advertisement