Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win XP Network Advice

• 17-01-2011 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi. I have a small office, minimal budget and need to set up a client server network for file sharing and multiuser access for some accounting applications. There will be 4-5 client PC's all running Win XP Professional except for one running Vista( I can upgrade this if necessary).

I hope to use a Dell Optiplex running XP Professional as the server. Apart from needing to share the accounting package and basic file sharing, our requirements are really basic. Can anyone advise if this will work for us. I intend to get someone in if necessary to help but would appreciate any advice first as I really won't know much about this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

For simple file sharing it'll work fine but check with the Accounting application crowd if that setup (i.e. using XP as the server) is officially "supported". They tend to be finicky about that kind of setup though it will probably work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 cantthinkof1

Ladybird99 wrote: »
    Hi. I have a small office, minimal budget and need to set up a client server network for file sharing and multiuser access for some accounting applications. There will be 4-5 client PC's all running Win XP Professional except for one running Vista( I can upgrade this if necessary).

I hope to use a Dell Optiplex running XP Professional as the server. Apart from needing to share the accounting package and basic file sharing, our requirements are really basic. Can anyone advise if this will work for us. I intend to get someone in if necessary to help but would appreciate any advice first as I really won't know much about this.

Thanks in advance.

I agree with bhickey. The initial problem will be if the accounting software will allow multiple connections to it. Other than that any other issues are minor and or easily resolved.

Regarding using the Optiplex as a server - if 4-5 people are connecting to it it will need a fair amount of ram to ensure that it doesnt get overwhelmed. I would say at least 2 Gb. If its only a 32bit version of Windows it will only recognise a max of 3Gb.
    If it was me I would not put shared folders on the same pc/server as the accounting applications. For the reason that if 4-5 people are accessing this application as well as trying to access files on the hdd you could end up with a bottle neck. The hdd, the processor and the network card in the Optiplex would become overloaded with data and instructions causing everything to slow down. Spread the load around.

I am not fishing for business but I have experience in this area and provide IT support to small business and schools. I am happy to have a look at your setup and offer some FREE advice.

Advertisement