Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best RB in the league?

• 17-01-2011 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Continuing from a topic in the man u vrs spurs thread, I thought it would be interesting to find out who people thought was the best RB playing in the EPL.

There were lots of calls for Rafael being the best(guessing mostly from united fans) so a broader view from other fans is needed I think. I want to know if people seriously believe this guy to be the best!

IMO Ivanovic with Sagna as a close second.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Just wrote this in reply to you in a match thread
    This Is from a blog I read was wrote last week
    "United Defence
    Moving to defence, and the stats make very good reading for Rafael. He’s attempted 76 tackles and won 52, a success rate of 70%, and one tackle for every 11 minutes on the pitch. Compared, for example, with Branislav Ivanovic (who has played both right-back and centre-back but considered one of the best right-backs) and Bacary Sagna, who have won 69% and 67% of their tackles, with one tackle made every 14 and 18 minutes respectively (the next best two tackling right backs), this makes Rafael the best tackling right-back in the league this season. Patrice Evra meanwhile is having a relatively poor season tackle-wise, winning just 61% of his tackles."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

And I just wrote this! Mayeb we should stick to this thread now ;)
    I get your point! I concede he is a good tackler, Stats don't lie. although this info says he attempted 76 tackles, yet i'm sure sagna and ivanovic have attempted somewhere like 150 tackles each (having played far more than rafael this season). And their percentages are very close..

But the point as a whole was 'best right back' obviously player positioning, mentality, work rate, pass completion rate, speed all must be factored in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Martin Kelly in a few seasons :D

At the moment, I can't see how anyone can argue with Ivanovic. Rafael has the potential but he's still too clumsy and inexperienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Rafael. Even if you think your favourite right back is almost twice as good as him, there's 2 of Rafael so he wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

1. Rafael
    2. Ivanovic
    3. Hutton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I really, really don't like Rafael but he's a good full back and will get better. Don't think he's better than Sagna by any means though, or Ivanovic.

Honorable mention to Mad Pablo Zabaleta who should be City's right back every week. Hard working, solid in a tackle and can deliver a cross as seen on Saturday. Would be in the top 5 IMO.

Someone who I think is very underrated is Gretar Steinsson.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I really, really don't like Rafael but he's a good full back and will get better. Don't think he's better than Sagna by any means though, or Ivanovic.

Honorable mention to Mad Pablo Zabaleta who should be City's right back every week. Hard working, solid in a tackle and can deliver a cross as seen on Saturday. Would be in the top 5 IMO.

Someone who I think is very underrated is Gretar Steinsson.

hasn't zabaleta had an unreal season as centre half? I thought RB role at city would be for Richards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Gary Nev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kimsang wrote: »
    hasn't zabaleta had an unreal season as centre half? I thought RB role at city would be for Richards?

I think you mean Kompany? Zabs has never played centre half.

We've been rotating between Zabaleta (who has been super as well when at left back), Richards and Boateng. I know who my first choice would be though, and he would be in most teams in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I have raphael in my FF squad so i do rate him but hes not the best right back just yet imo, plays in the best defence most certainly.

Up until sunderlands injury woes, this season onuha was probably the best for me, the man schooled bale at white hart lane, never got a sniff (and he didnt have rio ferdinand looking after him). He was also fantastic at stamford bridge and pretty much most of the season.

Bosingwa is also a very good player in a team who has played shocking recently.

Raphael scrapes into top 3 for me, partly because i think he has inteligence beside him in ferdinand and vidic, clearly he will only get better, ditto kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gonna go with Raf, unsurprisingly

btw, why do i see so many posters calling Rafael, raphael? its not that hard a name to spell people

Maybe you should have to mention your team preference when saying who you think who the best RB is :D

@kryogen maybe they're mistaking him with the big green turtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

Don't really rate Rafael, quite suprised that some consider him the best in the league actually!

Martin Kelly has been absolutely superb in the last few games, very few mistakes, strong runner and good defensive abilities. Quite a few left back's with the same characteristics, but haven't seen many good RB's that are good going forward as well as remaining responsible at the back. A bit more experience and he's right up there.

You also got give a mention to rafael been part of unbeaten team so far , he's played 12 games sagna and ivanovic with 19 each I think . I like ivanovic has it all really . Rafael is going to be really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

kryogen wrote: »
    btw, why do i see so many posters calling Rafael, raphael? its not that hard a name to spell people

Its because i have an unusual lisp.

You also got give a mention to rafael been part of unbeaten team so far , he's played 12 games sagna and ivanovic with 19 each I think . I like ivanovic has it all really . Rafael is going to be really good

908 game minutes for Raf
    1674 for Ivanovic (according to fantasy.premierleague.com)

I also think he will be really good! In fact I don't think you will find someone that will argue that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

We call that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles effect.

Best cartoon ever.

Beast ASI wrote: »
    Don't really rate Rafael, quite suprised that some consider him the best in the league actually!

Martin Kelly has been absolutely superb in the last few games, very few mistakes, strong runner and good defensive abilities. Quite a few left back's with the same characteristics, but haven't seen many good RB's that are good going forward as well as remaining responsible at the back. A bit more experience and he's right up there.

So you would rate Martin Kelly higher then Raf based on "the last few games" where FYI, Raf has been consistently outstanding

Rafael has quite obvious attacking abilities, but he has worked and vastly improved the defensive side of his game also, evidenced by his shut out of G Bale during the mad "Bale is better then Messi media/fan circle jerk hype" period of form he was in

You could have at least gone with a right back who is proven as a consistent performer ala Sagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Would have to be Rafael for me. Has improved his general play this year and is very strong in challenges and tackling considering his size. He had a bad day today but his defending was fine against the so called 'best winger' in the world. I dont recall any game were his defending has been woeful so Im not sure what you are on about kimsang. You can point out a few games if you like.

• Advertisement

Kyle walker looks a good prospect also. I seriously think this guy will be great one day if he keeps working hard. Whipped in a few nice crosses for Villa today with some nice runs forward, although did lose possession in silly places. Also scored on his debut in the FA Cup. Had a great time at QPR.
    Walker soon became a fans favourite with a string of man of the match performances<QPR>

Would have to be Rafael for me. Has improved his general play this year and is very strong in challenges and tackling considering his size. He had a bad day today but his defending was fine against the so called 'best winger' in the world. I dont recall any game were his defending has been woeful so Im not sure what you are on about kimsang. You can point out a few games if you like.

he didnt have a bad game today
    Kyle walker looks a good prospect also. I seriously think this guy will be great one day if he keeps working hard. Whipped in a few nice crosses for Villa today with some nice runs forward, although did lose possession in silly places. Also scored on his debut in the FA Cup. Had a great time at QPR.

I agree here, Walker looks lie a serious prospect, I have enjoyed the limited amount of game time i have seen him in

He had a great game against tottenham last year (this season) in particular Bale yes. Although he has Ferdinand doing a lot of mopping up for him. But he has also had some awful defensive stinkers (mostly before this season).

Why at the start of the season was JOS picked ahead of Rafael when both were fit! I'm yet to hear someone argue JOS is the best right back in the league:P

He had a great game against tottenham last year (this season) in particular Bale yes. Although he has Ferdinand doing a lot of mopping up for him. But he has also had some awful defensive stinkers (mostly before this season).

Why at the start of the season was JOS picked ahead of Rafael when both were fit! I'm yet to hear someone argue JOS is the best right back in the league:P

It actually stands as a testament to Rafaels improvement in form and consistency that he has firmly established himself as the number 1 right back

its not a negative that JOSH was picked ahead of him at the start of the season, its a pretty big positive that Raf has been picked in all the big games since he nailed down his place

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

Beast ASI wrote: »

LOL at you saying you dont rate Rafael but praising Kelly... Both have got huge potential and are young.. But Rafael has been more consistent and performed in bigger games than Kelly has played in... He's made mistakes but he will improve with experience... Neither of them are the best right backs in the league though....

Jose Bosingwa was the best RB in the before he got injured and its a pity he's being kept out by Ivanovic this season.... IMO Bosingwa is the best RB and if he gets a run of games he can prove that....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Name some of the shocking games he had last season then.

I've seen all united games this season and last and while i can remember him begin below average in some, he's nowhere near as bad as you'd like to make out.

JOS is possibly the second best RB in the league, after RAF. If you want some proof, you can check his medals bag.

Mostly before this season lol. So none this season when he has been excellent as i said. How many games did JOSH play instead of Rafael?. Its called a squad by the way. Gary neville has played twice too.

Are you missing your spectacles or are you the only one who doesnt see how a run of games in the team has really allowed this lad to excel, ignoring other players at United.

he didnt have a bad game today

I didnt say he had a bad game. I said he had a bad day as in he got sent off.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Name some of the shocking games he had last season then.

I've seen all united games this season and last and while i can remember him begin below average in some, he's nowhere near as bad as you'd like to make out.

JOS is possibly the second best RB in the league, after RAF. If you want some proof, you can check his medals bag.

uh- oh another man u fan!

• Advertisement

Mostly before this season lol. So none this season when he has been excellent as i said. How many games did JOSH play instead of Rafael?. Its called a squad by the way. Gary neville has played twice too.

Are you missing your spectacles or are you the only one who doesnt see how a run of games in the team has really allowed this lad to excel, ignoring other players at United.

they're gathering en mass!

uh- oh another man u fan!

try answering some of the points being made good lad. Your joke thread is going nowhere if you can't back up your posts.

so are your bullsh-it posts.

I didnt say he had a bad game. I said he had a bad day as in he got sent off.

Im sorry, I thought the implication was that he had under performed today, he was ridiculously unlucky to be even be sent off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sagna was great a few seasons ago but has declined in my view. Ivanovic was great last season but I think likewise has deteriorated this season (although he's been poor as a central defender mostly, but still poor).

I think Rafael will be the best soon enough but he needs more experience and can be a bit temperamental at times. Phil Neville is the best right-back in the league at present imo.

Who is gathering en masse?

• Advertisement

Phil Neville deserves a mention in the debate alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Carr > Rafael

1) Sagna
    2) Ivanovic

Sagna was great a few seasons ago but has declined in my view. Ivanovic was great last season but I think likewise has deteriorated this season (although he's been poor as a central defender mostly, but still poor).

I think Rafael will be the best soon enough but he needs more experience and can be a bit temperamental at times. Phil Neville is the best right-back in the league at present imo.

I'd agree with all this in relation to Sagna and Ivanovic.

P Nev is probably the best defensive RB in the league too.

try answering some of the points being made good lad. Your joke thread is going nowhere if you can't back up your posts.

are you serious? the only question put to me was name his shocking defensive displays before this season .... ?!!???

I mean a blind goat could see would have noticed. Unfortunately I don't catagloue my man u games by date and performances of players.

The thread at hand however is about "BEST RB IN THE LEAGUE" so i'm trying not to drag this too far off topic.

I have learned to make light of man u supporter comments because they become increasingly hysterical with regards their own players.

I think it wasn't till the west brom game at home before rafael got his first start this season John o Shea , wes brown and Gary Neville have all played there too . But since Around late october/November he's been mostly starting and been one of our better players .

• Advertisement

yeah Carr/ P. Nev / JOS / G. Nev have been around quite a long time(for a good reason!)

All have had amazing careers and contributed lots to their respective teams.

I guess i phrased my initial question wrong, "who is the best RB"

A better question might be, "Who would you pick at RB from the EPL for YOUR dreamteam"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ivan hands down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think Rafael is the RB who is having the best season so far and they guy will only improve.

I'd put this down to a severe drop in the standard of performances from his competition though.

are you serious? the only question put to me was name his shocking defensive displays before this season .... ?!!???

I mean a blind goat could see would have noticed. Unfortunately I don't catagloue my man u games by date and performances of players.

The thread at hand however is about "BEST RB IN THE LEAGUE" so i'm trying not to drag this too far off topic.

I have learned to make light of man u supporter comments because they become increasingly hysterical with regards their own players.

The title of the thread is a thin veneer for what you are trying to do. Why is it that the only two players you've criticised are united players? Why do you take such exception to them being cited as the best RB's in the league?

Your knowledge of both is poor, probably because you only see united when they play your team twice a year. Slating Raf for not being tall and saying he's poor in the air because of it couldn't be more wrong (match thread).

And then for some bizarre reason you have a post in here about Kyle Walker, who will be a good player and probably at Raf's level in two seasons time, but i still have no idea why he's even mentioned in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

nice logic there, i guess david may was a far better player than paul mcgrath if we check both mens medals bag :rolleyes:

i guess djimi traore is a better defender than mark wright if we check both mens medals bag :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Im sorry, I thought the implication was that he had under performed today, he was ridiculously unlucky to be even be sent off

could have gone for the first one imo

OPENROAD wrote: »
    could have gone for the first one imo

wouldnt agree but I am interested to know why?

The title of the thread is a thin veneer for what you are trying to do. Why is it that the only two players you've criticised are united players? Why do you take such exception to them being cited as the best RB's in the league?

Your knowledge of both is poor, probably because you only see united when they play your team twice a year. Slating Raf for not being tall and saying he's poor in the air because of it couldn't be more wrong (match thread).

And then for some bizarre reason you have a post in here about Kyle Walker, who will be a good player and probably at Raf's level in two seasons time, but i still have no idea why he's even mentioned in here.

You sir are an obnoxious and extremely defensive man u supporter who is contributing very little to this thread. I don't wish to argue with your delusions. Thin veneer... lol the thread title is pretty self evident.

I mentioned kyle walker because i put him in the same bag as raf, just lacking some big game experience that Raf now has. But very similar that they are both very young great prospects.

I never once slated raf, in fact if you read my posts I mentioned he's going to be a great player and that no one in their right mind could argue with that. My problem is when people start calling him the best, same as people calling Bale the best.

I've actually had enough of your personal attacks within post. Please stick to the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Phil Neville deserves a mention in the debate alright

Was listening to the best of Matt Cooper interviews for 2010 a couple of weeks ago, anyway he was interviewing this extremely well spoken, insightful footballer, was shocked to discover during the interview that it was Phil Neville.

Have to say it was the best interview I have heard from a footballer in a long time, a point shared by Matt himself who had it down as one of his best guest interviews of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Rafael reminds me of anderson - He looks good when he's young but give him a few seasons and he'll turn utter sh!te

• Advertisement
Advertisement