Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best RB in the league?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I dont get all this Sagna love. He is good but never stood out as a great RB to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

baz2009 wrote: »
    Did I say Chelsea's defence was bad?
    I just said it wasn't great, which it isn't, tbh.
    United's conceeding has come from mistake in the midfield rather than defence, I can't think of a goal against United that was a mistake of a defender(I'm sure there is one, just no obvious one that I can think of, atm). united's defence looks more assured than others, imo, even when Rafael got sent off yesterday Spurs never looked like scoring.

Every team does that, not just United.
    Belittling foreign teams?:confused:
    If that's from the Scholes v Xavi argument then a big LOL, tbh.

Right Jonny Evans conceding the penalty against Liverpool. Patrice Evra's mistake for Everton's first goal in the 3-3. Evra's own goal vs West Brom. Indeed VDS mistake against WEst Brom. Need I go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How many times has Ivanovic even played right-back this season? Most games I've seen since Alex's injury he is deployed in central defence (and been poor to awful it has to be said) while Ferreira or Bosingwa have competed for the right-back spot. I don't see how the guy can therefore be named as a credible contender if he's not being used in the role.

Also it's a bit sneaky to use an argument claiming Vidic is better than Alex but Terry is better than Ferdinand and therefore the two defences are even. Come on now that's stretching things a fair bit. If we flip it and compare Vidic to Terry and Alex to Ferdinand, or compare the two central defensive combinations together, I think the conclusion drawn would be quite different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Going forward: Hutton

Defending: Ivanovic

If I had to pick then I'd go for Ivanovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Very close between Sagna & Ivanovic for me.....can't really decide. Chelsea are a better defensive unit, so I guess I'd go with Ivanovic (wonder if Bosingwa will get back to form)
    Rafael still has a lot to learn, wouldn't put him in the best RB in the league category yet.
    Probably will be up there in a couple of seasons, but not now.

• Advertisement

How many times has Ivanovic even played right-back this season? Most games I've seen since Alex's injury he is deployed in central defence (and been poor to awful it has to be said) while Ferreira or Bosingwa have competed for the right-back spot. I don't see how the guy can therefore be named as a credible contender if he's not being used in the role.

Also it's a bit sneaky to use an argument claiming Vidic is better than Alex but Terry is better than Ferdinand and therefore the two defences are even. Come on now that's stretching things a fair bit. If we flip it and compare Vidic to Terry and Alex to Ferdinand, or compare the two central defensive combinations together, I think the conclusion drawn would be quite different.

Exactly Ivanovic is playing CB because Alex is out. Ivanovic was the standout RB in the league last year and still is the best RB in the League.

Edit: Just checked Rafaels stats there. He has barely played 900 mins this season and only started playing because JOS got injured. Is he even first-choice RB at Utd. It really is laughable calling him the best RB in the League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You could pose the same question in a million different guises. The only logical conclusion is that these are two top quality partnerships. Any attempt to distinguish which is better is just point scoring from fans of the two clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Warper wrote: »

Edit: Just checked Rafaels stats there. He has barely played 900 mins this season and only started playing because JOS got injured. Is he even first-choice RB at Utd. It really is laughable calling him the best RB in the League.

Almost as laughable as forming an opinion on someone you clearly know nothing about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You could pose the same question in a million different guises. The only logical conclusion is that these are two top quality partnerships. Any attempt to distinguish which is better is just point scoring from fans of the two clubs.

No it's not. It's possible to say that both are top quality partnerships but one of those is better than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I dont get all this Sagna love. He is good but never stood out as a great RB to me.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God, Futurama:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Out of interest who's your top 3 seeing as you don't rate Sagna or Rafael?

cson wrote: »
    Out of interest who's your top 3 seeing as you don't rate Sagna or Rafael?

I would have Ivanovic No. 1 and then really it could be anyone as there are no great RB's in the EPL. There is nothing between the likes of Hutton, JOS, Zabaleta, Sagna etc. My Top 3 would be Ivanovic, Zabaleta and Sagna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

tdv123 wrote: »
    Rafael is in the Sergio Ramos school of head banging right backs.

And you seem to be from the Eamonn Dunphy school of spurious hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

gabriel heinze is the biggest headbanger i have ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

gabriel heinze is the biggest headbanger i have ever seen

Judas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

People listen to the media too much. Unless your a united fan your going to believe all the lazy journalism that Rafael's very prone to rash mistakes. Rafa has last year at 19 kept Ronaldinho quiet over two legs and didnt give Ribery a sniff, plus also marking bale out of the game this year. True it was poor getting sent off against Bayern maybe was harsh but in fairness it maybe was the making of him. Hes improved so much after that and done very well to bounce back, fair play to the lad.

He's not first choice right back at one of the biggest clubs in the world without being a very good player already. Ferguson usually eases young talent through not starting them in the big games, but he starts Rafa against all the big teams. And hes only 20 and still learning, scarily Fabio was meant to be the best out of them when they joined but he cant get in front of Evra.

Personally i havent seen enough of Ivanovic and Sagna to judge them but iv seen every united game and Rafa's been brilliant. IMO he's been one of Uniteds best players this season and is still learning. Hes very exciting to watch and hopefully can keep imporving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How many times has Ivanovic even played right-back this season?
    Why does that even matter? He is still far and away the best right back in the Premier League. As it happens he is also an excellent centre half and due to injuries has moved inside. Anytime he has played at right back though he has been excellent just like last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Eboue all the way. The way he played at West Ham was solid and is always a threat down the wing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I hate the clowns who start these threads and then fúck them up by arguing with people because the disagree.

Rafael for me, anyone who has watched all his games this year would probably agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Whatever about the arguments the predictability of them isn't surprising.

United fans say Rafael
    Arsenal fans say Sagna
    Chelsea fans say Ivanovic
    City fans say Zabaleta
    Spurs fans say Hutton
    Liverpool fans say Kelly [Not my intention out Pool fans here, but imo that's absolutely ludicrous]

And that's a natural consequence of following a particular club. Right backs don't make the highlights reel too often so unless you're watching full matches you don't get a proper sense of how good/bad a full back is, thus if you've seen only seen one player for all their matches and highlights for the rest it's only natural to think the one you've seen most is the best.

Off topic; one of my observations of this forum is that its become extremely juvenile over the past year or so, and threads like this show that. There's winding up and theres reasoned debate and it's the former that's prevalent atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I hate the clowns who start these threads and then fúck them up by arguing with people because the disagree.

Rafael for me, anyone who has watched all his games this year would probably agree.
    I've seen most of his games this year and he has been good but he still has a ways to go. I don't know how you could possibly put him ahead of either Ivanovic or Bosingwa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Whatever about the arguments the predictability of them isn't surprising.

United fans say Rafael
    Arsenal fans say Sagna
    Chelsea fans say Ivanovic
    City fans say Zabaleta
    Spurs fans say Hutton
    Liverpool fans say Kelly [Not my intention out Pool fans here, but imo that's absolutely ludicrous]

And that's a natural consequence of following a particular club. Right backs don't make the highlights reel too often so unless you're watching full matches you don't get a proper sense of how good/bad a full back is, thus if you've seen only seen one player for all their matches and highlights for the rest it's only natural to think the one you've seen most is the best.

Off topic; one of my observations of this forum is that its become extremely juvenile over the past year or so, and threads like this show that. There's winding up and theres reasoned debate and it's the former that's prevalent atm.

I'm a Liverpool fan and I'd have Sagna! I even gave a mention to the Everton Captain (and former Utd player) FFS. Don't tar us all with the same brush. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Well, to be fair anyone who watched every single one of his games is probably a big united supporter which probably also means they have seen next to none of the arsenal games.

Rafael is a very good young player but Sagna is clearly a more developed player and has a much better temper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sagna is no saint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well, to be fair anyone who watched every single one of his games is probably a big united supporter which probably also means they have seen next to none of the arsenal games.

Why? I think the matches are pretty much always on at different times as at least one is chosen for TV. I have watched most Arsenal games this season (after UTD they are the team I choose to watch).
    Boskowski wrote: »
    Rafael is a very good young player but Sagna is clearly a more developed player and has a much better temper too.

Hmmm.....remind me - is Sagna suspended or something at the mo? I think he is, what was it for again?

NOTE - I am not disagreeing with the overall point that Sagna is better than Raf at this time just that what you said had holes in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

I don't think anyone's actually said that Kelly is the best. He's only played 4/5 games, but I think the intent was that he has great potential.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why does that even matter? He is still far and away the best right back in the Premier League. As it happens he is also an excellent centre half and due to injuries has moved inside. Anytime he has played at right back though he has been excellent just like last season.

How is he 'far and away' the best right-back in the league if he is not playing in the position? That is why it matters. It's basing an opinion on reputation rather than actual performance. He hasn't been excellent for Chelsea at centre-half. They can't get Alex back quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He hasn't been excellent for Chelsea at centre-half. They can't get Alex back quick enough.

Hardly, he's a CB by trade, he's made little or no mistakes at CB this season, Chelsea's soft goals have mainly been conceded from a weakened midfield. Only reason they want Alex back so bad is so they can put Ivan back at RB.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Hardly, he's a CB by trade, he's made little or no mistakes at CB this season, Chelsea's soft goals have mainly been conceded from a weakened midfield. Only reason they want Alex back so bad is so they can put Ivan back at RB.

You must not have seen his performance against Sunderland. He has been very shaky since Alex's lay off. They want Alex back because he is significantly better at CB than Ivanovic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

As a Newcastle fan, would love to say Simpson, or maybe Perch hahaha.

To be honest the best Right back i have seen this season is Seamus Coleman when he has played at right back. Second I would go Sagna, and third Rafael. Kelly from Liverpool has impressed but needs more games at right back to be anyway included in this list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

kryogen wrote: »
    Sagna is no saint

Never even played for Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

imo ivanovic is miles ahead of every rb in the league atm

i would have zabaleta 2nd and possibly onouha 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

bazual wrote: »
    As a Newcastle fan, would love to say Simpson, or maybe Perch hahaha.

To be honest the best Right back i have seen this season is Seamus Coleman when he has played at right back. Second I would go Sagna, and third Rafael. Kelly from Liverpool has impressed but needs more games at right back to be anyway included in this list.
    So the best right back this season is the one who's own manager is unwilling to play him in that position 'cause he feels he's not good enough for that role yet?

Advertisement