Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox wireless network adapter not recognized

• 17-01-2011 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Have a wireless network adapter plugged into the back of the xbox but when I go into settings its not picking it up.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Unplug the ethernet cable if its in the port, if it's a Slim Xbox the wireless adapter is internal you won't need an adapter in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

No its the original xbox, I unpluged the cable, its not picking it up at all.
    Tried different usb ports, nothings coming up at all.
    Read somewhere about a disk being needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Are you getting a light on the wifi card ? It should just pick it up straight away.

Quick update - Should have said original xbox 360 (not slim version) and not "original xbox".

I plug it in and I get a green flashing light.

When I go into Network settings and Wireless it asks me to plug in the adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

It seems like the console hasn't been updated with the drivers needed for the adaptor. What version of the dashboard are you using?

You should have got an update disc with the adaptor, either use that or connect with an ethernet cable directly to your router and download the dashboard update and the adaptor should be working after that. Well, either that or the yolk is broken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

jonnybadd wrote: »
    It seems like the console hasn't been updated with the drivers needed for the adaptor. What version of the dashboard are you using?

You should have got an update disc with the adaptor, either use that or connect with an ethernet cable directly to your router and download the dashboard update and the adaptor should be working after that. Well, either that or the yolk is broken

Sounds like this would be worth a try alright. If you cannot connect by cable, or do not have an update disc (e.g. second hand adapter, etc.), then try the directions in the latter 2 sections of this page. It basically constitutes making your own update disc. If you already have this version, or if it still doesn't work after applying this update, then I'd suspect you either have an issue in your USB port(s), or in the adapter itself, as one worked plug and play for me on the previous dashboard.

Also, is it the white adapter, or the new black one?

I'll use an ethernet cable to see.

Its a black one with two antennae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

HighWire wrote: »
    I'll use an ethernet cable to see.

Its a black one with two antennae

I've a suspicion (nothing more than that, mind you!) that the N adapter (the one you have) may require a more recent dashboard than the white b/g one, so that might be worth a try for you alright. If that fails, then the only remaining option I can suggest would be to see if there is a disc that comes with the adapter normally that someone could give you a loan of, but I'd be surprised at MS not including a driver for a standard peripheral like that in updates.

Advertisement