Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRAFFIC CONTROL WORK????

Options
  • 17-01-2011 5:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey all,
    Recently completed my 2 one day courses to obtain my white and my RTA blue card, just wondering if anyone can tell me whats the best way to go about getting a job as a traffic controller and also how they find the job i.e, is it a tough number???.
    I'm slightly worried about working in the really hot weather as the guy doing the training said sometimes you can go the entire day without a break!!!!!
    I've heard the money can be quite good so maybe the lack of breaks is worth it!!
    Any info appreciated,
    Jack...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Aisle 13 in bunnings should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You won't go the whole day without a break, generally its a handy number

Try contacting some of the traffic management companies direct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Are you a lad? I know a few lads who have the traffic control card but only because their own company sent em to do it on the quick, they have barely used it. Reason I ask, know a girl doing it who told me firms actually prefer girls doing it as, believe it or not, they reckon people will give less aggro/ make complaints to the council if its a girl holding them up. Not too sure how easy it is for a lad to score this full time tbh, Ive never known a lad to do it full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

The above poster is right, they do give preference to girls over lads. The work is easy but EXTREAMELY boring. You are up out of bed at 5am in the morning to start work at 6 and you work till 3pm-ish. You spend the day stopping traffic etc. This time of the year its very hot. The money is good, you could pull in $200 after tax per day! If you want to get involved in it, just go to Bondi Junction train station at around 3.30pm on a weekday and you'll see loads of Irish girls getting off the trains in one of the high-viz vest with 'Traffic Controller' written on the back. Just ask them for their bosses number.

As mentioned before though - they do prefer girls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ATM (Australian Traffic Management) & Retro Traffic are 2 Irish mobs, I have known loads of girls worked for these 2 over the years.

Both even have their own floats in St Pats parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Irishoz wrote: »
    As mentioned before though - they do prefer girls!

Well, it is a girl's job tbf

Lads dig holes, girls stop cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jack128

Well tbh I would't call myself a girl what with just being shy of thirty:D. But yes I am female.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

jack128 wrote: »
    Well tbh I would't call myself a girl what with just being shy of thirty:D. But yes I am female.
    Are you sure? You name is Jack...

Are you sure? You name is Jack...

Ehhhhh yeah I'm fairly sure I'm a female!!!

• Advertisement

jack128 wrote: »
    Ehhhhh yeah I'm fairly sure I'm a female!!!
    A silly question, sorry. I'm tired and can't sleep with the heat!

A silly question, sorry. I'm tired and can't sleep with the heat!

On a scale of 1 to 10 it scores a 20 for silliness!!!;)

It's just the heat in Dublin the last few days has been mental. Nobody can sleep with it. You have no idea.

It's just the heat in Dublin the last few days has been mental. Nobody can sleep with it. You have no idea.

Dublin and the word heat don't go, think you're tellin porkies!!!! You'd want to try sleeping in the heat in Sydney mate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Must be tough, I don't know how you do it
    attachment.php?attachmentid=143904&stc=1&d=1295329122

Teddy Tedson must be from the antarctic originally if he's struggling with those temps.....

I'm only taking the whizz, a tad anyway. It is actually far too warm in my house!
    Hope to make it over to Oz myself this year, Ill be screwed!!

Advertisement