Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we vote..how will we vote?

• 17-01-2011 7:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Do the people of Clare have any choice? What the hell are we supposed to do??

How Will You Vote 15 votes

FF
    0% 0 votes
    FG
    6% 1 vote
    Labour
    26% 4 votes
    Green
    13% 2 votes
    Sinn Fein
    6% 1 vote
    Independent
    33% 5 votes
    None of the Above
    13% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Basically we are screwed. We have FF, FG and LAB to choose from. Either way all three are going to take seats. All three need to be routed from government.

FG is as bad as FF, see my other posts/rants on this, but Michael O'Flynn transferred over a billion euro of worthless assest into NAMA the same day he was playing golf with all the top FG TDs.

Add that to the fact the plan for economic recovery FG is selling is privatising everything (readin: no more free healthcare or other government services) and you can see they are not an alternative, but more of the same, even worse.

Labour talks the talk, but vote after vote they have fallen in line with FF/FG. Gilmore makes some impressive speeches and points out many flaws, yet continually follows down the same path and votes for the flawed issues he rants about.

Some might point out we do have a few 'independents' here in Clare, but lets be real - they are just rejects from FF/FG who didn't get a nomination and decided to run anyway. They still have the exact same political views, they just didn't win the local popularity contest. They will be voting alongside whichever party it was they attended the AGM for and didn't get nominated. Look at Tipperary North TD Michael Lowry and Kerry South's Jackie Healy-Rae - they are shining examples of this very thing.

So basically as I said above, we are screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

CptSternn wrote: »
    Basically we are screwed. We have FF, FG and LAB to choose from. Either way all three are going to take seats. All three need to be routed from government.
    This will be tricky for you, seeing as only one of that group is in government.
    FG is as bad as FF, see my other posts/rants on this, but Michael O'Flynn transferred over a billion euro of worthless assest into NAMA the same day he was playing golf with all the top FG TDs.
    What evidence do you have for this assertion? Last time FG/Lab were in government they laid the foundations for the boom. It's not their fault that Fianna Failure poured the boom down the jacks.
    Add that to the fact the plan for economic recovery FG is selling is privatising everything (readin: no more free healthcare or other government services) and you can see they are not an alternative, but more of the same, even worse.
    I don't think they are going to privatise everything, but then I'm not opposed to privatisation in principle as long as it does not harm the national interest. It's hard to see how our giant debts can be addressed without raising cash from somewhere - what is your solution?
    Labour talks the talk, but vote after vote they have fallen in line with FF/FG. Gilmore makes some impressive speeches and points out many flaws, yet continually follows down the same path and votes for the flawed issues he rants about.
    What?
    Some might point out we do have a few 'independents' here in Clare, but lets be real - they are just rejects from FF/FG who didn't get a nomination and decided to run anyway. They still have the exact same political views, they just didn't win the local popularity contest. They will be voting alongside whichever party it was they attended the AGM for and didn't get nominated. Look at Tipperary North TD Michael Lowry and Kerry South's Jackie Healy-Rae - they are shining examples of this very thing.
    You're probably right there.
    So basically as I said above, we are screwed.
    We are all screwed, but that was due to Cowen and Fianna Failure. I won't accept that the alternative are as bad without seeing them in action. The evidence is they couldn't possibly be as bad as the guys who had the bloody IMF in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Labour didn't get above 1k first preference votes the last time out, and have a brand new candidate running this time. Unless Bhamjee is pulled outta the bag, they won't be getting a seat in Clare.

They will still be my first preference though. The gombeen/dullard culture of the Clare branches of FF/FG respectively has to be gotten rid of, and voting Ind. (Breen, former FF) isn't the way to go for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

We need a strong willed independent, along the lines of David McWilliams or Shane Ross, that will fight for the things that have to be done for the sake of the nation. If we don't default on the bank bailout, then everything else is a waste of time.

Is there anyone in the county that would fit the bill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If there was an Irish section of the Monster Raving Loony party, they'd get my vote.
    They seem to have the most sensible policies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Mneh.. I'm just going to vote FG. Not very encouraged by the party at the moment but hopefully they'll buckle down and do a good job like they did the last time they were in.

Whoever gets in next is going to have to make a load of unpopular cuts, so I fully expect FF to waltz back in 5 or 10 years down the line because they won't be around to take the flak over the mess they created. Happened in the 90's.. happened in the 80's. It'll happen again this decade.

Parties are all the same argument is getting tedious. 63 of the 89 years the country has been around the same party has been in. Just vote whoever you dislike the least instead.

We're going to default on the bank bailout wether we choose to or not. I assume Labour/FG will change their tune shortly. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Will there be a Sinn Fein candidate? Thats who I'll be voting for. Default on the debt and half ministers pay and pensions.

The dirty scummy war is long over and its about we all moved on imo. Unless another party or candidate call for default and political reform I'll be voting for SF. [Never thought I'd say that]

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

ABFF!!!

That doesn't leave me with much choice tho! I have an aversion to Enda Kenny and Gilmore though!! Just a word of warning to anyone who compulsively gives everyone a score on the ballot though..... Don't do it! You'll end up getting the likes of Dooley back in by default! :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Added a poll to make things a bit easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

http://www.clare.fm/news/hillery-and-dooley-selected-contest-clare-fianna-fail-seats

http://www.clare.fm/news/cooney-could-be-drafted-clare-fine-gael-election-ticket

So it looks like 2 fianna fail, 4 fine gael and 1 labour (Michael Mc Namara)

http://newswhip.ie/national-2/fine-gael-hq-adds-five-candidates-to-election-lists

EDIT..Clare councillor Tony Mulcahy, who joins outgoing Deputies Pat Breen and Joe Carey

HAVE I THEM ALL NOW??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I would assume that James Breen won't run the next time around, he'll be well in his 60s this year I'd imagine.

I seem to remember FG running 4 candidates last time around, they got 2 in, but it split their vote a lot and almost allowed James B. in, I would imagine that they will run a lot smarter campaign and run their 2 sitting TDs with perhaps 1 more, Madeline Taylor Quinn polled very strongly in the European elections I seem to remember.

My guess for the next time around would be for Dr. Hillary to top the poll, mainly because of the FF support in the county along with the nostalgia effect his name will carry. Pat Breen seems popular, he may come second in the poll, I would imagine it would be between him and Timmy Dooley for the second spot. The forth spot I would imagine will go to Joe Carey. So 2 FF and 2 FG.

Saying all of the above, Clare does have a history of throwing up some strange results, James Breen & Bhamjee, so I would be surprised if Michael Mac for Labour could come in, that would depend on the East Clare vote I would imagine that would be split between him and Dooley and he will rely on a lot of transfers and Dooley getting in early, although that could be the other way around for the 2 of them though

Clareman wrote: »
    Madeline Taylor Quinn polled very strongly in the European elections I seem to remember.

God I hate Taylor Quinn - Years ago when I was a teen I remember Garret Fitzgerald coming to town - back then nothing of note ever happend in Ennis and the likes of the Taoiseach coming to visit would be today's equivalent of Mohammed Ali's visit.

I remember getting to shake his hand and yer wan beside him shoved me out of the way I fell off the steps of the height and scraped my poor knee:mad:

So remember!! Yesterday's annyoing child is today's voter:D

Claregirl wrote: »
    God I hate Taylor Quinn - Years ago when I was a teen I remember Garret Fitzgerald coming to town - back then nothing of note ever happend in Ennis and the likes of the Taoiseach coming to visit would be today's equivalent of Mohammed Ali's visit.

I remember getting to shake his hand and yer wan beside him shoved me out of the way I fell off the steps of the height and scraped my poor knee:mad:

So remember!! Yesterday's annyoing child is today's voter:D
    That also sums up how all politics are local politics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Added a poll to make things a bit easier

Could you also take out the SF option since they're not running a candidate here?

Forgive a stupid question but are there any candidates from the Ennis area?

I know Joe Carey is from Clarecastle but that doesn't count;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

If James Breen runs he will be the nearest to an Ennis candidate you'll get. He is currently a member of Clare County Council, he stood in Ennis West in that election.

He is originally from Dublin I think. Anyway he set up the Rural Resettlement programme back in the 80's, it was set up to encourage and assist people who wanted to move from Dublin and other large urban centres to places in West Clare like Loop Head, Carrigaholt, Kilrush etc.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Could you also take out the SF option since they're not running a candidate here?

I can't remove an option from an active poll so I've closed the poll, if another 1 needs to be started I can do that in another thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

MrsD007 wrote: »
    He is originally from Dublin I think. Anyway he set up the Rural Resettlement programme back in the 80's, it was set up to encourage and assist people who wanted to move from Dublin and other large urban centres to places in West Clare like Loop Head, Carrigaholt, Kilrush etc.

Originally from Foynes. An artist back in Kilbaha. Strongly held opinions and by all accounts an honest man. Has a bee in his bonnet about An Taisce and spent a goodly share of his campaign booklet which came with the Champion attacking An Taisce.

• Advertisement

I can't remove an option from an active poll so I've closed the poll, if another 1 needs to be started I can do that in another thread

I just heard there is a meeting tonight to decide if in fact they will put up a candidate...will keep you posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 b.physio.ie

The 23 year old candidate, Brian Markham is from West Clare but working/living in Ennis as far as I know.

chucken1 wrote: »
    I just heard there is a meeting tonight to decide if in fact they will put up a candidate...will keep you posted!

Well I suppose we all know by now theres no SF candidate.

I really wanted to meet Mc Namara as I know nothing about him really. He called to our estate yesterday and just threw a leaflet in the door! No knock..They literally ran around and were gone by the time I looked out (within 2 minutes). Not a good sign me thinks. :(

Well I suppose we all know by now theres no SF candidate.

I really wanted to meet Mc Namara as I know nothing about him really. He called to our estate yesterday and just threw a leaflet in the door! No knock..They literally ran around and were gone by the time I looked out (within 2 minutes). Not a good sign me thinks. :(
    chucken1 - Was he physically in your estate? or was it just his people doing a leaflet drop. I notice that some candidates are just doing leaflet drops but are appearing in estates themselves.

I dont know if he was actually with them! Men in coats..it was raining :o.

Do you mean they might call properly soon??

I dont know if he was actually with them! Men in coats..it was raining :o.

Do you mean they might call properly soon??
    Yes, we received a leaflet drop and within the week the candidate called in person. You could always email Michael McNamara. I have attached a link. Must admit I'm not usually a labour voter but I like the look of him on paper, he does seem to have a brain. Like you I would like to know about him too. I reckon Clare FM and Champion are bound to do profiles on each of the candidates in the near future.

http://www.labour.ie/michaelmcnamara/biography.html

Clare FM's Morning Focus programme held an election debate amongst the Clare candidates last week. Here is the link

http://clare.fm/music/MorningFocus

I haven't had an opportunity to listen to it myself yet so can't comment on how good or bad the programme was.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Clare FM's Morning Focus programme held an election debate amongst the Clare candidates last week. Here is the link

http://clare.fm/music/MorningFocus

I haven't had an opportunity to listen to it myself yet so can't comment on how good or bad the programme was.

I've deliberately stayed away from Boards for the last 10 days because I needed to!! Talk about being overwhelmed..
    Ta MrsD007 for the link..but I didnt listen..yet..I will though.

I've had ONE candidate at my door..ONE! Oh loads of c*ap posted at your and mine expense(well not mine cos Im on social welfare..therefore a scurge, according to lots of posters on Boards.ie)

Anyway..when I just thought I'll vote for the best of a seriously bad lot..Last night I got the most disgusting leaflet through the door!

I wont say anything..but has anyone got Mr Mc Cabes leaflet?..

To say Im horrified is a bluudy understatement.

I'll refer to sentence 5 on his "race" point..or the whole lot of it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Michael McNamara screwed his chances on the radio the other day. He says he supports letting Limerick annex chunks of Co. Clare.

• Advertisement

Michael McNamara screwed his chances on the radio the other day. He says he supports letting Limerick annex chunks of Co. Clare.
    That won't go down too well in parts of East Clare.... what was his reasoning behind backing the border extension?

Advertisement