Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we vote..how will we vote?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

CptSternn wrote: »
    Michael McNamara screwed his chances on the radio the other day. He says he supports letting Limerick annex chunks of Co. Clare.

I'm living in East Clare and would agree with the move. Limerick City needs to be governed properly and this move will help. Another reason I'm going to vote for McNamara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I'm living in East Clare and would agree with the move. Limerick City needs to be governed properly and this move will help. Another reason I'm going to vote for McNamara.

Can you explain this please?? :confused: What does Limerick city's governing have to do with Clare??

chucken1 wrote: »
    Can you explain this please?? :confused: What does Limerick city's govering have to do with Clare??

Gonna try and find a post I wrote in the Limerick forum on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Oonagh75

I wish I could vote with my two feet but I must stay! It is a very poor choice we have in Clare but I wish Shane Ross the best of luck in his constituency.

It was actually here in Clare I wrote about it, here's my thoughts on the topic (Link to post):
    CiaranMT wrote:

By including these areas in the Limerick city area (along with Raheen, Castletroy etc) the authority will be able to better coordinate and manage planning. I mean, look at the absolute mess that's been made of the Corbally area, it's an absolute joke to try and get through during rush hour. Same with the Limerick County areas. Limerick is just hard to get through, and this needs to change in order for it to develop.

Here I was talking about the thousands of residents who live in Shannon Banks, Westbury etc, who are in Clare atm. Road and infrastructure planning would be better co-ordinated under a single authority, to better suit the needs of these residents who spend large parts of their time in Limerick.
    It is a long term, rather than a quick fix, element to the development of the city. If you have one authority, rather than 3, you won't find that this sort of attitude exists, where everyone's pulling in their own direction; Clare Co. Co. their way, Limerick Ci. Co. another way, and Limerick Co. Co. another way again. There's no cohesion at the minute, which is one of the causes of the doughnut ring we see forming around the city centre.

One authority, and one focus on how to improve the city is what's needed. A major part of this is the growing of business. The whole of the Mid West will benefit, not just the city of Limerick.

Basically, the focus should be on the greater Mid-West region.

We have to move away from this 'Get away from our land, 'tis Clare!' mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Being officially part of Limerick will mean increased home and car insurance premiums, there is a price to be paid for every thing. The other thing is that a lot of Limerick people spend a good part of their day in Shannon so following your argument, we should be getting ready for the great Shannon giveaway very shortly :D

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Being officially part of Limerick will mean increased home and car insurance premiums, there is a price to be paid for every thing. The other thing is that a lot of Limerick people spend a good part of their day in Shannon so following your argument, we should be getting ready for the great Shannon giveaway very shortly :D

That due to the higher crime rate I'm guessing? I don't see how changing the address from Clare to Limerick on your policy (if you're living in Westbury/Shannon Banks) would affect insurance. Or maybe you mean something else? I'm sorry, it's just your point isn't all that clear.

You can't deny the point that a huge amount of people come in from SE Clare to work, shop and do business in the city. Making this easier and more attractive for these people is important for Clare and the Mid-West in general.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to admit it never stops to amuse me when people start getting antsey over lines on maps, but millions have been killed over lines so I'm clearly in the minority in regards to that mindset :)

Clareman wrote: »
    I have to admit it never stops to amuse me when people start getting antsey over lines on maps, but millions have been killed over lines so I'm clearly in the minority in regards to that mindset :)

Said the jersey-wearing Clareman :pac:

I'm with you on that though. Einstein has a quote along the lines of Nationalism being among the most infantile of diseases.

It was actually here in Clare I wrote about it, here's my thoughts on the topic (Link to post):

Here I was talking about the thousands of residents who live in Shannon Banks, Westbury etc, who are in Clare atm. Road and infrastructure planning would be better co-ordinated under a single authority, to better suit the needs of these residents who spend large parts of their time in Limerick.

Basically, the focus should be on the greater Mid-West region.

We have to move away from this 'Get away from our land, 'tis Clare!' mentality.

I cant help but wonder if you would feel this way if, lets say,the extension was sneaking in from the Montpelier side??

• Advertisement

This might seem over simplistic to you Ciaran MT but if you have two children and your neighbour has eight. I'd imagine you wouldn't be too keen to give over a large portion of your back garden because your neighbour is over populated :)

I note your O'Briens Bridge address, a lovely part of the world. I enjoyed many a meal in the Old Mill before it closed down, but how would you feel if the Mount Pellier boys annexed O'Briensbridge and your kids ended up playing for Limerick???

I cant help but wonder if you would feel this way if, lets say,the extension was sneaking in from the Montpelier side??

I don't see the point of this question. O' Briensbridge isn't Westbury. It has a far lower population density and far less traffic.

However, IF the roles were reversed and I lived in Westbury/Shannon Banks, I'd have no problem with the boundary extension in this case either. I'd prefer to live in an area with one authority making decisions that best suits the sizeable population of the area, rather than two or three.

I'd still be a Clareman too. An imaginary line in the ground won't change that.
    This might seem over simplistic to you Ciaran MT but if you have two children and your neighbour has eight. I'd imagine you wouldn't be too keen to give over a large portion of your back garden because your neighbour is over populated :)

You're right, that is a bit too simplistic.
    I note your O'Briens Bridge address, a lovely part of the world. I enjoyed many a meal in the Old Mill before it closed down, but how would you feel if the Mount Pellier boys annexed O'Briensbridge and your kids ended up playing for Limerick???

Like I said to chucken above.

This all seems to be a very tribal GAA thing, on the side of people who oppose the extension.

Oh Lord no...its not a Gaa thing with me..at all. I was just curious as to how it would affect people. :)

Ciaran MT - I can see you wearing the green and white jersey. Are you sure you are not a Limerick refugee? :D

Ciaran MT - I can see you wearing the green and white jersey. Are you sure you are not a Limerick refugee? :D

Precisely my point...

No! I'm a Clare man by way of Kerry and Tipperary! :D

Precisely my point...

No! I'm a Clare man by way of Kerry and Tipperary! :D
    I'm intrigued, what do you mean? I presume you mean your parents are from Tipp & Kerry.

Aye.

I'm living in Killaloe so I understand and I'm so interested in the boundary issue, it is not about GAA for me. Amazingly, in Killaloe we find that some Ballina folk claim to be from Co. Clare.

Aye.

I must do some homework and find you :pac:..only messin!!
    Is'nt it lovely in here with no bad feelings :cool:
    Anyway folks..back on track...Im still as confused as ever on who to vote for.
    I had someone for Hillary here today and my blood pressure went through the roof :mad:

Then tonight I had Joe Carey. I have to say he seemed a nice man,but Im very gullable :o

I'm living in Killaloe so I understand and I'm so interested in the boundary issue, it is not about GAA for me. Amazingly, in Killaloe we find that some Ballina folk claim to be from Co. Clare.

Ah lads..we're all neighbours :D

• Advertisement

I had someone for Hillary here today and my blood pressure went through the roof :mad:

Then tonight I had Joe Carey. I have to say he seemed a nice man,but Im very gullable :o
    What about fellow East Clare man and Human Right Lawyer - Michael McNamara. I'm seriously thinking of giving him a number one. He has a brain which is always a good start :D

Being creeped on in the Clare forum.. That's a first!

What had Carey to say?

Whos bing?

What about fellow East Clare man and Human Right Lawyer - Michael McNamara. I'm seriously thinking of giving him a number one. He has a brain which is always a good start :D

On paper he seems ok but he or his minions have yet to call to me. Did you get a visit??

On paper he seems ok but he or his minions have yet to call to me. Did you get a visit??
    I didn't get a call but I met him and I was seriously impressed with him. He is straight talking, no BS, he hasn't been contaminated by the political process yet. His biggest problem could be learning to behave like a politician. I also was impressed with his performance in the Clare FM interviews and the Clare Champion debate.

Bing creeped on in the Clare forum.. That's a first!

What had Carey to say?

He was in the estate next door and I asked the lads with him to call him so I could have a chat. He listened and gave feedback. He even drew the fags LOL. He also said F**K a lot.. He gave me his email address to get in touch if I needed.My hubby let fly a few times but he held his own and talked out the point. He was here over half an hour!!

He was in the estate next door and I asked the lads with him to call him so I could have a chat. He listened and gave feedback. He even drew the fags LOL. He also said F**K a lot.. He gave me his email address to get in touch if I needed.My hubby let fly a few times but he held his own and talked out the point. He was here over half an hour!!
    You're a cruel f**ker, half an hour :D. Joe is a nice fella but he is no statesman.

:D He was as much up for the chat as we were..a true Clareman :D:D

Whos bing?

Misspelling.
    I didn't get a call but I met him and I was seriously impressed with him. He is straight talking, no BS, he hasn't been contaminated by the political process yet. His biggest problem could be learning to behave like a politician. I also was impressed with his performance in the Clare FM interviews and the Clare Champion debate.

Have to find the paper for that.

Fair play to him, I guess, for sticking it out.

• Advertisement

Misspelling.

Have to find the paper for that.

You don't strike me as the type that bothers with little county newspapers like "DE CHAMPIN".

Advertisement