Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adult ballet lessons

• 17-01-2011 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

hi,im intrested in learning adult ballet.im looking to take private lessons as i have never done it before and also as im a guy i would only want to wear ladies dancewear such as leotard,tights,pointe shoes etc.i know male dancers normally dont wear these but in a private class/lessons i cant see it being a problem,after all its just the student and teacher.can any one out there help or point me in the right direction,thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 i Rock

television wrote: »
    hi,im intrested in learning adult ballet.im looking to take private lessons as i have never done it before and also as im a guy i would only want to wear ladies dancewear such as leotard,tights,pointe shoes etc.i know male dancers normally dont wear these but in a private class/lessons i cant see it being a problem,after all its just the student and teacher.can any one out there help or point me in the right direction,thanks:)

If you do manage to find a class that will take you. I'm sure you can wear what ever you want! There really are no rules. Unless the teacher thinks your crazy.

So don't buy that tutu just yet!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭television

hi,its a bit late for that as i already have a tutu,and other items of dancewear.,tnx:)

Good for you!:eek:

Let us know how you get on!

will do.tnx

i Rock wrote: »

hi,still looking for class,just to let you know

• Advertisement

i Rock wrote: »

have you ever heard of guys in ballet class wearing ladies dancewear,is it fairly common?.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

To be honest it's unusual to find lads in a ballet class full stop, but never say never!

Dance House have adult ballet classes in the evenings and the teachers are pretty good.. If you have a look on the website, you could call them directly and see if they're interested in doing private lessons: http://www.danceireland.ie/events/events.php?category=classes

thanks for that.i will give them a call and see whats happening.tnx

Janneke wrote: »
    To be honest it's unusual to find lads in a ballet class full stop, but never say never!

Dance House have adult ballet classes in the evenings and the teachers are pretty good.. If you have a look on the website, you could call them directly and see if they're interested in doing private lessons: http://www.danceireland.ie/events/events.php?category=classes
    i dont think it is that unusual,just look at the profesional ballet companies,they have guys in them too.but if you mean guys in ballet class wearing ladies dancewear,as i want to,then that could be unusual,but i would imagine its not totaly unheard of either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

In Ireland at least it is uncommon (unfortunately) to have guys doing ballet in their late teens/adulthood. Obviously there are some, but in general.

• Advertisement

There are a lot more Irish guys doing Ballet than you may think clearly females make up a larger portion but I know lots of guys in ballet. Lots of Irish guys who have moved abroad to train.

I'm not sure of your intentions regarding female outfit however what ever makes you happy is fine in my book. The problem is however welcoming classes and teachers are to see a guy interested they may not like to see you dressing like a female dancer.

If you really want to dance maybe you should compromise a little and then at a later stage try to introduce your "desires or needs" to the class.

Best of luck though.

okay,i suppose i could try that,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

hi,will do,thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Polly_12

Hi,
    just wondering if you managed to find an adult ballet class? I'm a guy who is also looking for adult ballet lessons in Dublin..I have taken one or two before but would love to summon the courage to go back. I wore black tights and a t-shirt to class with ballet slippers and there was no issue..would be interested to hear hwo you got on?

hi not yet but still looking and hopefull:)

where in dublin did you take the few classes that you did and what was their dress code like?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Polly_12

Hi, whats your email address, I will send the website of the classes to you, I dont want to provide it here as I didnt think the classes were great and wouldnt want to put anyone else off. Thanks!

hi polly 12.i sent my email adress to you.check your private messages,tnx:o

Advertisement