Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet

• 17-01-2011 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Which internet provider would ye suggest for Circular Road? I've been using a dongle but now getting one for the whole family. I was looking at eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Which internet provider would ye suggest for Circular Road? I've been using a dongle but now getting one for the whole family. I was looking at eircom?

Beware of Eircoms download limits and I believe they monitor their network for torrents and the like so if you use those things or would like to they may not be the best option.

I am on UPC. They just upgraded me from a 15mb line to 20mb for free. It's grand, I've been with them for the last 2 years and the internet has only dropped about 3 times and not for long.

I had NTL years ago and it would drop quite a lot. They have cleaned up their act a good bit.

The absolute best ISP I ever used was Smart Telecom. No line contention, always ran at max capacity. If I had the option (I don't have a phone line) I would go for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My own experience with UPC
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056125699

Moved to Broadband, read the stickies about UPC here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Beware of Eircoms download limits and I believe they monitor their network for torrents and the like so if you use those things or would like to they may not be the best option.

I am on UPC. They just upgraded me from a 15mb line to 20mb for free. It's grand, I've been with them for the last 2 years and the internet has only dropped about 3 times and not for long.

I had NTL years ago and it would drop quite a lot. They have cleaned up their act a good bit.

The absolute best ISP I ever used was Smart Telecom. No line contention, always ran at max capacity. If I had the option (I don't have a phone line) I would go for them
    the upgrade from 15-20mb wasn't free they raised the price to 34 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

the upgrade from 15-20mb wasn't free they raised the price to 34 euro

Really!!? They never asked me...must get on to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Really!!? They never asked me...must get on to them!

They didn't tell anyone. Submit a formal complaint to Comreg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

jor el wrote: »
    They didn't tell anyone. Submit a formal complaint to Comreg.

Or cancel your BB contract with them, because they changed there T&C's and move to another ISP, if you can?:confused: Especially if you can get 24mb or 50mb ADSL2+ contention free BB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

jock101 wrote: »
    50mb ADSL2+ contention free BB!

It'll be a long time before that happens. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Or cancel your BB contract with them, because they changed there T&C's and move to another ISP, if you can?:confused: Especially if you can get 24mb or 50mb ADSL2+ contention free BB!
    as far as i know if you used the service after the 4th of jan you were deemed to have accepted the price hike. i'm not too bothered about it tbh as its only 2 euro p/m for an extra 5mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

roast wrote: »
    It'll be a long time before that happens. :rolleyes:

Maybe in the West, but it is available in parts of the Capital.

Do you mean Magnets service? If yes I thought that was FTTH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

50Mbs DSL?

Are you dreaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no 50Mbps DSL in Dublin. Magnet and Smart both have up to 24Mbps ADSL2+ available all over the country, not just Dublin, though with limited availability. Also, not everything outside of Dublin is The West. Large portions of Ireland that aren't Dublin can be found in the North, South and East of the country, as well as the West.

There is currently no ISP that can touch UPC on the speed, price and widespread availability that they have, unfortunately. There is practically no competition in the Irish broadband market.

Advertisement