Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet browser won't connect when internet is on!?!

Options
  • 17-01-2011 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

So here's my problem...

Around three weeks ago, my Dell Inspiron 1525 gave me the blue screen of death! It rebooted itself and restored back to last may. Happy days right?! No...
    My internet browser won't connect to the internet now. And yes, the laptop is connected to the internet...it shows up very high wireless reception in the wireless taskbar. I had Mozilla Firefox on it last may, but had removed it and changed to Chrome sometime inbetween then and the blue screen. So I assumed it was just because there was a corrupt file in Mozilla. I downloaded Chrome on a friends laptop and transferred it to mine. All was grand until last night...now Chrome can't connect either!
    I've checked my Windows Firewall to make sure it's off...but ontop of everything else my Norton Internet Security won't open!!!! It just thinks for a minute and nothing...

Can anyone help?!?!

Thank you in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

Firstly removed Norton Internet Security and if You have Firefox on Your hard drive install it and than try to connect with internet. Keep me informed about progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

How do you know for sure that 'the laptop is connected to the internet...'. Have you connected to the internet with another PC?
    The fact that you're connected to your local WiFi network is no indicator of internet access. What OS are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vonniec

How do you know for sure that 'the laptop is connected to the internet...'. Have you connected to the internet with another PC?
    The fact that you're connected to your local WiFi network is no indicator of internet access. What OS are you using?

My two housemates are using the wireless too with no problem... The little animation on the bottom right corner of the screen is moving and when I go into Network settings it says I'm fully connected to the internet...
    It's awfully aggrivating!
    It's a vista though if that helps??...

asgaard;
    I hear it's very difficult to remove Norton without downloading a tool from symantec itself, is this true?? Or can I just temporarily disable it in safe mode to make sure that the problem lies with Norton for definate?

Advertisement