Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architects fees in north dublin

Options
  • 17-01-2011 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi!we just bought a house that is in need of complete refurb.We appointed an architect on the basis of the fees for the main house (floor area of 120msq) which he quoted at 7,200 excl of VAT. We are now planning to extend out the side (additional 48.5msq). He is now quoting 15,932 which comes to a total of nearly 20k incl vat. He is basing costs at 8% of construction cost (he estimates 200k but builder suggested it would be alot less). Our budget is 180k and we feel his fees are expensive. Any thoughts? We don't feel an estimate of construction costs incentivises him to get us a lower construction costs? Also a friend is doing a new build and architect is charging 6% of costs.

Thanks

Edzers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,043 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There are plenty of good architectural technicians out there who will do a good job for you for much less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Open A

There are also architects working for less than that, myself included.

I think it is unreasonable to charge 100% extra for the extension. Yes planning permission will be needed, but if the work will all be carried out together then it is not twice work to see the project through from start to finish.

We don't feel an estimate of construction costs incentivises him to get us a lower construction costs?
    I agree with you. I suggest you negotiate fixed fees prior to starting construction work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 edzers

hi everyone. thanks for all your feedback. Fees down to 14k including vat. Much happier!

Edzers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SARAH ANNE

tell me what he is doing for 14k, when the fees dropped that much something seriously wrong, i think he wanted to take u to the back of the bike shed, and now will do it in the school yard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Horsebox_twenty

14k still sounds like a huge price in the current market. My build cost is lower than yours - about 80k - but my architect (who I'm very happy with so far, RIAI registered, good references, great previous projects etc) is a lot cheaper than that, even as a percentage....

I think you should still seek a further discount, although if you are happy with what you're getting for 14k, then fire ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bigmanhole

6% is fair in my opinion though at the higher end - depends on the specifics of the job involved - im not an arch btw:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lizof01

14k still sounds like a huge price in the current market. My build cost is lower than yours - about 80k - but my architect (who I'm very happy with so far, RIAI registered, good references, great previous projects etc) is a lot cheaper than that, even as a percentage....

I think you should still seek a further discount, although if you are happy with what you're getting for 14k, then fire ahead[/Quote

Please, what is the name of your architect???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

pm only please

Advertisement