Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed up your wi-fi access on home or office BB

Options
  • 17-01-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

For some reason, browsing on my PDA phone has always been crap slow and thought it was a phone problem. However, I finally decided to look at my wi-fi router settings over the weekend and changed the wi-fi speed option from 802.11b+g to 802.11g ONLY. b = 11mb, g = 54mb. It seems like the combination of possible speeds was causing confusion for my PDA.

Anyway, I arrived into work this morning and proceeded to do the same thing on a work router. I got a guy to check access from his iPhone and he was amazed at the difference. He ran the Speedtest.net app and it reported the speed that he "should" have got but could never get in the past.

So on your router, go into the Wireless Settings and look for Operating Modes or Speeds or something like this and you should find a setting with b, g or both b + g. If your router is over 5 years old, it might be a b only so you won't have this option at all.

C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

championc wrote: »
    Hi all,

For some reason, browsing on my PDA phone has always been crap slow and thought it was a phone problem. However, I finally decided to look at my wi-fi router settings over the weekend and changed the wi-fi speed option from 802.11b+g to 802.11g ONLY. b = 11mb, g = 54mb. It seems like the combination of possible speeds was causing confusion for my PDA.

Anyway, I arrived into work this morning and proceeded to do the same thing on a work router. I got a guy to check access from his iPhone and he was amazed at the difference. He ran the Speedtest.net app and it reported the speed that he "should" have got but could never get in the past.

So on your router, go into the Wireless Settings and look for Operating Modes or Speeds or something like this and you should find a setting with b, g or both b + g. If your router is over 5 years old, it might be a b only so you won't have this option at all.

C

Even faster get a 'n'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Hi mcwhirter

The only thing you can potentially speed up here is access from one lan device to another - maybe from a laptop to a steaming media server.

Has anyone seen a marked improvement in access to the internet by no longer allowing the router to negotiate using 802.11b ?

Advertisement