Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS and Diet/ Alternative Therapies

Options
  • 17-01-2011 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I've recently been chatting to people with MS who advocate a wheat free/ dairy free diet in the management of their symptoms.
    Has anyone got any experience of changing their diet and have you found it beneficial?

On a side note, has anyone ever tried refloxology or acupuncture for their symptoms or even for stress management? Can anyone recommend anything along these lines?

Sorry for the haphazard method of posting- I'm still learning a lot about MS and am finding the posts on here very helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

ElleEm wrote: »
    I've recently been chatting to people with MS who advocate a wheat free/ dairy free diet in the management of their symptoms.
    Has anyone got any experience of changing their diet and have you found it beneficial?

On a side note, has anyone ever tried refloxology or acupuncture for their symptoms or even for stress management? Can anyone recommend anything along these lines?

Sorry for the haphazard method of posting- I'm still learning a lot about MS and am finding the posts on here very helpful. Thanks.

I thinks it important not to cut food from your diet unless you are intolerent to it. You dont want to become deficent of anything!!

I havent and dont plan on changing my diet as its rather healthy as it is and I think as long as you eat healthy, thats fine.

Again I personally dont believe in the health effects of refloxolgy or anything but getting any sort of treatment like that is relaxing and thats a major bonus!! Even getting your hair done is relaxing! Ask your friends for vouchers for birthadays and such as they can be expensive!

Be wary of certain homeopathic stuff. Echinacea, for example, shouldnt be used if you have MS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

FluffyCat wrote: »
    Echinacea, for example, shouldnt be used if you have MS.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

ElleEm wrote: »
    Why?
    Ok, if I can remember my lectures correctly (and I only did them before xmas so I hope I do!!), echinacea works by stimulating the immune system, and since MS is an auto-immune disease, and the fact that the immune system is already attacking the body, further stimulation of the immune system can result in a significant increase in the severity of the disease.

And when you think about it, that makes sense, the immune system is already hyped up and taking anything to hype it further can be bad.

Just something to be aware of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My GP who is big into complimentary med. says if you a bad cold that a bit of junior echinea for a short period is beneficial, as if you become very run down you are putting a lot of stress on your body,so it's the lesser of two evils.

A balanced diet is best, with as few processed foods as possible.
    Omega oils are also thought to be beneficial. I use Udo'sChoice capsules (got them put on my LTI book thanks to combo of excellent neuro and gp who wouldn't take no for an answer)

Plenty foods with Vit B also.

I agree that massage etc is great for stress, plus my muscles get really tight and sore. I bought a massage chair and it's the biz. I know someone who claimed it as a medical device and got money for it, but I think that might be a bit of a stretch.

I also have a magnetic pad that goes on top of the mattress,3 out of every 4 weeks (or else apparently your body starts to get used to it -and ignores it)Jury still out for me as to whether it's helpful.

Before I started on the new painkillers I couldn't be awake half the night with pains and found Natrasleep tablets( with valerian) helpful.

FluffyCat wrote: »
    Ok, if I can remember my lectures correctly (and I only did them before xmas so I hope I do!!), echinacea works by stimulating the immune system, and since MS is an auto-immune disease, and the fact that the immune system is already attacking the body, further stimulation of the immune system can result in a significant increase in the severity of the disease.

And when you think about it, that makes sense, the immune system is already hyped up and taking anything to hype it further can be bad.

Just something to be aware of.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.
    My GP who is big into complimentary med. says if you a bad cold that a bit of junior echinea for a short period is beneficial, as if you become very run down you are putting a lot of stress on your body,so it's the lesser of two evils.

A balanced diet is best, with as few processed foods as possible.
    Omega oils are also thought to be beneficial. I use Udo'sChoice capsules (got them put on my LTI book thanks to combo of excellent neuro and gp who wouldn't take no for an answer)

Plenty foods with Vit B also.

I agree that massage etc is great for stress, plus my muscles get really tight and sore. I bought a massage chair and it's the biz. I know someone who claimed it as a medical device and got money for it, but I think that might be a bit of a stretch.

I also have a magnetic pad that goes on top of the mattress,3 out of every 4 weeks (or else apparently your body starts to get used to it -and ignores it)Jury still out for me as to whether it's helpful.

Before I started on the new painkillers I couldn't be awake half the night with pains and found Natrasleep tablets( with valerian) helpful.

I don't suffer with pain, thank God. I might give the Natrasleep a try of my sleep pattern stays like this (ie, terrible!).
    I take over the counter Omega 3, but I may look into those Udo's Choice. Are they way higher in Omega 3 than OTC ones?

I'm taking Naudicelle Plus (Vit D and Evening Primrose Oil). I got them from my doc on the LTI book. It's 6 capsules a day. Have you any experience of these?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Udo's is plant based and organic, so would be my choice above fish oils. I find the oil vile,some people like it. I get the capsules, 9 a day,so it's good it's on the LTI book. Must look into the vit D.

I find the oil vile,some people like it. .

I HATE the Omega 3 capsules, I have to take it before bed as the fish taste repeats on me for hours.

Advertisement