Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change phone. what to get?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭

I am looking at changing my current SE C905 for another phone kinda similar to the one I have. Can you good techie folks advise me on what are the phones to look at on the market today?

I'm not interested in the Iphone really, I have no need for a phone like that. I have been looking at the blackberry pearl 9105 but am not too sure. So a looking for recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This post has been deleted.

The features I want are simply be able to send and receive calls, send all text types standard and mms, be able to check out results and latest news on the web and a decent camera. Not too bothered about music and all the other stuff you get with smart phones. Also the phone has to light to be carried around in jeans and tracksuit pockets.

Well would prefer an unlocked phone. I will probably purchase the phone of the internet than of a provider. I know I will pay a bit more for that but due to the way I am set up on my contract this is the better way for me to go.

I guess the price range would be anywhere up to €300, if I can get something for less then great. As I said I was looking at the blackberry pearl which was €273 on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

As ur statement suggests u r not much into touch screen , i think u should go for Nokia e72 , its very nice phone having 5 no camera and all the other features u looking for,;)[HTML]http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e72-2831.php[/HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

masker wrote: »
    As ur statement suggests u r not much into touch screen , i think u should go for Nokia e72 , its very nice phone having 5 no camera and all the other features u looking for,;)[HTML]http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e72-2831.php[/HTML]

Coming from a Sony Ericsson to a Nokia is like going from a Mercedes to a Lada! :P

OP, I went from a C905 to a Samsung Galaxy S. It expanded on all the features of the C905 brilliantly, can definitely recommend it as the next place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

I went from a SE C905 to a nokia N8 specifically because of the camera but I 'think' the C905 might have been better. That was a really really good phone.

I am reasonably happy with my N8, I only have it a couple of weeks. At this stage I loved my SE C905 tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

Floopybits is not into touch src thats y I suggested him e72 which is far more better than the bb in many respects, on the other hand galaxy s is defiantly top of the notch , but if he wana go for touch then I would suggest iPhone4, or HTC, HTC is very good at pushing latest updates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

masker wrote: »
    Floopybits is not into touch src thats y I suggested him e72 which is far more better than the bb in many respects, on the other hand galaxy s is defiantly top of the notch , but if he wana go for touch then I would suggest iPhone4, or HTC, HTC is very good at pushing latest updates

Have used an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S running a custom ROM side by side for the last month or so I can definitely say the Galaxy S offers the better user experience if you are inclined to fiddle around with things and optimise. The extra two buttons on the screen are also very useful as is the option to expand storage. Android also lets you have live widgets on your home screens whereas an app has to be opened for everything on the iPhone.

The iPhone 4 is grand as long as you can live with Apple setting the phone up so rigidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

running a custom ROM
    That's the problem... Unless you're comfortable with DIY firmware updates, avoid Samsung and go for a HTC (probably a Wildfire at that price range?). The stock Galaxy is a lousy device, that'll make you regret buying it within a couple of months. If you're a tweaker, you can get around this, and make it a very good one again, but you do have to fix it, and this is outside most people's comfort zone (note, I didn't say ability), and voids the little warranty you got with the thing in the process.

To add to the other, very good, suggestions: if you want a touch screen, I'd put the Nokia C6-01 on your list too (note, this is not the one with the pop-out keyboard). Light, very good communications (voice/text), bonus of a really good display, and it's same hardware as an N8 inside (except camera).

Advertisement