Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best online site for buying baking tins/icing accessories etc.?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I need to buy a few bits & pieces, sponge cake tins, moulds, icing tips etc.

I've looked at ebay & some prices aren't too bad, just wondering is there anywhere else that is recommended for this?

Preferably Irish based would be great - I want good quality tins as some of the cheaper ones I bought last year (I was in a rush) the enamel has started to flake off :(

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

If your looking for an Irish company, I heard this company on the radio during the week, the guy who set it up is only 17 and set the company up following work experience he did during Transition Year:

http://www.kitchencookware.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

Hi,

I've bought from stuff4cakes.ie -she's based in Galway. I got great value on what I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

Locally, Brennan's Cook Shop and The Kitchen Dresser are good places to look.

Otherwise you can also look at Cake Craft Shop & Cake Stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

Forgot to add that I also have purchased from www.sugarshack.co.uk and www.cakestuff.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I like Decobake, I buy from them and stuff4cakes, both have better value on different items.

I also use cakecraftshop, sugarshack once or twice. makeawishcakeshop.co.uk can be good for some things, but the customer service is appalling, so basically you're grand until you have a problem!

OP look locally for shops too, I never buy tins online because a local "department store" (small shop with lots of things stuffed in) sells them very reasonably, I would never have even known they sold them until I went in looking for something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Thanks a million for all the replies - I feel a big splurge coming up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Irish company based in Duleek, http://www.sageandstone.com. You can call in person to their shop too, they deliver all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

There's a number of things that I want to buy that I feel will make decorating with fondant a lot easier for me... ive been scouring the web looking for 1 one place that sells them all but its proving difficult to find that. I think it will work out cheaper buying them individualy from ebay from UK & US even though I will have to pay shipping each time.

I really really want:

White Non stick rolling pin approx 15" or 16" minimum
    A non stick & non slip mat to roll the fondant out on -
    Wilton Ribbon Cutter & Embosser
    Makins' Clay Extruder

Someday :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Bought a length of white pipe in b&q last year to roll large amounts of fondant with, got them to cut it in half (3ft lengths each), worked a treat and non stick too!:D

Eviledna wrote: »
    Bought a length of white pipe in b&q last year to roll large amounts of fondant with, got them to cut it in half (3ft lengths each), worked a treat and non stick too!:D

Oh Edna that is very Clever and Recession busting :D
    Does the weight of pipe, or lack off, affect the rolling at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Dya know, I thought it would, but it didn't! The pipe I bought was from the plumbing section, thickness of about 7mm and diameter of ~3 inches. It had a matt exterior finish, so it was perfect for coating with icing sugar and rolling. It really didn't stick. Washing was easy too.

If you really wanted to make it heavier, there's nothing to stop you pumping some (non-toxic!) foam or filler into the center and then plug the ends, but I didn't think it was necessary.

It did fine for covering my sister's wedding cake!!:D

Ooh, also another little money saving tip: Rather than forking out for expensive wilton fondant modelling tools, I popped out to my local hobbycraft shop and bought a set of clay modelling tools for 1.99. Plastic, dishwasher safe, just flippin perfect. :)

Sounds ideal Edna,will have to pop out to B & Q soon and pick up some piping :D

ive been keeping an eye out in craft shops for tools for clay, like stamps and cutters etc so i must invest in the modelling tools aswell.
    There something very satisfying about coming up with alternative uses for things that are not remotely related to baking but make the job much easier :P

Advertisement