Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a Moses Basket recovered?

• 17-01-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Expecting baby to arrive in 6 weeks, and we have been given a really nice moses basket in great condition. Only thing is we need to get it re-covered and replace the matress. Does anyone know where we go do get this done. Dublin or surrounding counties would be preferable. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

To be honest, it'd be easier and cheaper to get a new moses basket! I tried getting new covers for one we were given, but gave up. I just bought a new mattress and put a pillow cover over it, which co-ordinated with the existing covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

I made the mistake of getting our old one recovered. there already was a liner and cover with it but i decided they werent nice enough. i gave it to a guy and he made a complete hash of it, ruined the old covers and tried unsuccessfully to make a new cover, i was so upset (being 7 months pregnant at the time!) then we took it to a dressmaker in terenure and they made a new cover but it was nothing like the original and all in all i was very disappointed and wished id kept the originals.

also it cost a fortune, i think the new material was €45 and the dressmaker charged €120. and the first guy tried to charge me €90 (i refused!)

if you dont have any material at all with the basket then go to a dressmaker but if you have material on it - KEEP IT!!!

oops forgot to tell you about a matress, there is a shop on ebay that make matresses to measure. i tried ones from mothercare and smyths but neither fit quite right. i just measured exactly what i wanted and got a new safety one from ebay, think it cost around €20 inc shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

depending on the measurements of the basket, cant you buy ready made covers that just velcro together? just in the usual baby places,maybe im thinking of the wrong thing here..

afaik when i was pregnant my mum gave me my old moses basket and brought me shopping for a new cover, like the one i described above, but all the covers were for the new softer style baskets.

we ended up buying some baby room curtains, padding and pram sheets in guinneys (they did pre-made covers too iirc) and my granny made a beautiful cover for it. it looked so professionally made and it was beautiful. used the same design pram sheet to cover the matress. they sell matresses in guinneys too, and most baby shops- although i remember paying a fortune for the matress cause most shops only had the size to fit the more modern style baskets.

as far as i remember we originally bought a cover in a kind of pack and when we tried it on the basket it was the tinniest bit too small and it wouldnt velcro securely enough around the basket handle but your man in the shop was grand about us bringing it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

We looked into this and its basically the same price to buy a new basket as to buy the covers..

So we bought a new (cheap) basket with covers that we liked and put them on the older (nicer) basket.. Cost about 60quid as far as i remember..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 3roken

i looked everywhere... u can get covers on ebay, but there about €30 + postage. I got a new basket in smiths for €40.

If ur any good with the sewing machine u can make them urself... there are plenty of patterns on the net... otherwise ur best just getting a new basket im afraid.

Oh... and the matteress... i picked up a new one in tk maxx for €4!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement