Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Draft & Money Transfer

Options
  • 17-01-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

hi folks, does anyone know if a person must get the Bank Draft from the bank branch they're a member of, or can they get a Bank Draft from any branch (Bank of Ireland in this case)?

also, when paying for a significant purchase, is there a method of payment which doesn't involve going into a branch? e.g can a direct transfer be done over the phone once (from Bank of Ireland to AIB) you have the recipients bank a/c number ?

thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can get a bank draft from any bank. It doesn't even have to be your bank, never mind your branch.

You can make payments to people via Bank Transfer using banking 365. All you need is their sort code (identifies their bank & branch) and account number.

If you ring up banking 365 they can set up the transfer there & then. If you're using the online interface, you won't be able to do the transfer immediately unless you've set up the SMS service for adding beneficiaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

You have to have a Bank of Ireland account to buy a draft from them, but you can get this from any branch. Just be sure to bring identification if not going to your own branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sarahlulu wrote: »
    You have to have a Bank of Ireland account to buy a draft from them, but you can get this from any branch. Just be sure to bring identification if not going to your own branch.
    I don't think this is true, though maybe the banks have changed their rules? I haven't gotten a draft in about 8 years.
    Used to be the case that you can get a draft from any bank (just hand over cash), or you can get a draft from your BOI account, from any branch. You shouldn't need ID - all you need is your ATM card to get the cash from your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

I got Draft during week in AIB and was told it had to come out of my account, said you cannot buy Drafts for cash anymore in AIB have to be account holder and must come out of your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

No drafts for cash.

Reason: to try and prevent money laundering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement