Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Rating and Switching Current A/Cs

Options
  • 17-01-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I'm thinking of switching my current account from AIB to Ulster Bank but I don't know how this will effect my credit rating. I've been an AIB customer for the past 10 years and during that time I have taken out a student loan and overdraft which have been paid back in full. If I move to Ulster Bank and close my AIB account, will I be still able to prove I have a good credit rating for future loans (possibly for emigrating)? thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Your credit rating is a combination of all your dealing with ICB member institutions, not just one. So moving wouldn't nessecarily have any impact at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Changing banks should have no effect at all. AIB can't all of a sudden decide to give any negative feedback about you. You can always leave your AIB account open anyway. Just ensure that you change all your standing orders and direct debits. You don't want to have that as part of your account history.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

síofra wrote: »
    If I move to Ulster Bank and close my AIB account, will I be still able to prove I have a good credit rating for future loans (possibly for emigrating)? thanks:)

You won't have to 'prove' anything, your financial track record is already on file in the Irish Credit Bureau and provided you close your AIB a/c cleanly with no outstanding balance your credit record will not be affected in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

Thank you all for your replies and info on the Irish Credit Bureau. :)

Advertisement