Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price to paint the inside of my house

Options
  • 17-01-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm based in Munster and am looking to get the inside of my new house painted.
    The inside has been spray painted already.The ceilings are finished(have received 3 coats of paint).

The house is 4000 square feet in size.
    I need the final coat applied to all walls.
    The skirting board, architrave and 18 window boards need to be painted cream. There are 18 door frames also..no doors.
    I also have a walnut stairs being installed at the weekend which will need to be varnished.

My painter has quoted 6200 euro to do this. I think this is a ridiculous price.

Or am I wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

murphyep wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I'm based in Munster and am looking to get the inside of my new house painted.
    The inside has been spray painted already.The ceilings are finished(have received 3 coats of paint).

The house is 4000 square feet in size.
    I need the final coat applied to all walls.
    The skirting board, architrave and 18 window boards need to be painted cream. There are 18 door frames also..no doors.
    I also have a walnut stairs being installed at the weekend which will need to be varnished.

My painter has quoted 6200 euro to do this. I think this is a ridiculous price.

Or am I wrong?

what is the wall area? floor area of the house wont be able to inidicate what area of wall needs to be painted. and what is the quantity of skirting needed to be painted?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

There would be roughly 200 metres of red deal skirting to be primed and painted

From rough calculations, I would say there is 5000 square feet of wall space.
    I'll have to do a proper calculation on this

murphyep wrote: »
    There would be roughly 200 metres of red deal skirting to be primed and painted

From rough calculations, I would say there is 5000 square feet of wall space.
    I'll have to do a proper calculation on this

yeah seems high in that case. if its only finishing coats required, and full coat to timber, I'd reckon it would be closer to 4,500-5000.

thats at €5/m2 for walls, 4 or 5/m for timber and allow 700 or so for the stairs (without detail, hard to know)

thats ex vat prices.

any chance you could paint it yourself? only have material costs which wouldnt run into much in comparison. just takes a lot of time and a few weekends of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

I am thinking about doing it myself. after hearing that price this morning!

the only problem would be filling any cracks etc ..i presume if I spent some time at it, that it would be ok

if it's new there shouldnt really be any cracks yet, and in any case, whoever spray painted it should have done any filling or patching on the plaster first. but if you do have to fill cracks, there shouldnt be much, and it isnt too hard. there is a fine texture polybond stuff in a tub which is easy to use. and the painting itself isnt hard, just spend time covering things and using plenty of masking tape to line edges. it is time consuming, but saves a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bazmak

im a painter and the prices you have been quoted first are very high to say the least!:eek: what did you end up paying in the end ?? :confused:

Advertisement